Software
Houzz Logo Print
kevia_collins

I love our den but it’s cold and empty

5 years ago

My den is in need of some serious attention. It has beautiful slate floors with a natural fireplace. I want this room to be warm, inviting and within budget. I’m so overwhelmed with the decor
I rarely utilize the room. Can anyone assist me?

Comments (44)

  • 5 years ago

    It's very gloomy. To brighten it up you need more white or light colors--pillows, throws, perhaps a rug. Also some lamps with light shades would help.


    As to the fireplace, take every decor item away and see if you like it better. Than add back, one-by one. Right now there are too many small items.

  • 5 years ago

    What color area rug? Grey or off white. You are so on point with the items on the fireplace. Omg! I had every intention of removing that clutter before I sent the pics. Would a picture with more color help brighten the area as well?

  • 5 years ago

    I’m not sure what you do, but it’s an awesome room!

  • 5 years ago

    Maybe paint the ceiling? Lighter rug? Too much gray black couch and with it backed up to the windows it cuts out a lot of light. The couch kind of disappears into the floor.

  • 5 years ago

    I like the room. The black couch ties in with the floor. Try a light rug and some pillows

    with some light color. Various lamps situated around the room. Declutter the fireplace as mentioned. Is it possible to move the couch so it isn't by the windows?

  • 5 years ago

    Very cool room, I love the slate and the fireplace hood. Could you flip your sectional to the wall where the television is? It's blocking the lower part of your windows, and the room could use some more light. I'd love to see a cream shag rug in this room (a nice BIG one to match the size and scale of your sectional and the room) and a more substantial coffee table that will work with the size of the sectional. A few colorful pillows and throws and it'll be a substantial difference.

  • 5 years ago

    OMG, love the beautiful floors! You have a good start but as Yvonne says it's very gloomy, despite large windows. I would consider some off-white textured curtains between the windows. I would also choose matted art work to make it stand out against the walls. A nice rug is definitely in order. And some large ottomans that are in scale with the huge sectional.



    https://www.worldmarket.com/product/ivory+tonal+sweater+wool+emilie+area+rug.do?sortby=ourPicks



    https://www.westelm.com/products/isla-ottoman-large-h6263/?pkey=s%7Cottoman%7C82


    I like the IDEA of this lamp but am not crazy about the arm design - just don't have time to research... Something hanging from the wall by the artwork.

    https://www.westelm.com/products/mid-century-overarching-wall-sconce-w933/?pkey=csconces


    I also might consider mounting the Tv on a swing-arm to the wall or choosing a lower wooden TV cabinets to bring in some warmth. Choose a wood that is complimentary but lighter. There are a lot of fun accessories at Target in their Project 62 line.

  • 5 years ago

    Start by just painting the ceiling. That alone will significantly brighten up the space and you can decide next steps from there.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you all kindly for the advice. I’m loving the ideas!! Keep it coming!!

  • 5 years ago

    I wouldn't touch the ceiling, but I'm an unrepentant lover of wood paneling! It feels cozy, like the cabin of a ship or something.

  • 5 years ago

    While you're thinking about painting the ceiling, also sort out who you expect to use this room and what for. It has a TV in it now, does someone else use the room to watch TV? Do you hope to use it for that? Or for something else? Knowing what you want a space to be used for can help clarify a lot of design decisions.

  • 5 years ago

    I love your den, too. It’s a mid century-modern gem. I wouldn’t recommend painting any of the original stone, wood, or architectural details. I agree with some of the previous comments: 1) declutter fireplace shelves to feature a single bright/light and/or colorful statement decorative art pieces on each shelve; 2) move sectional away from those beautiful floor-to-ceiling windows to show more of them, separate the sectional into smaller sections (if possible) and create more seating areas - maybe add a couple light/bright accent chairs (consider a bold print upholstery) on each side of a side table. You have such a large room consider a “floating furniture” arrangement to create different zones - conversation zone, TV watching zone, reading zone, etc...whatever you like to do, have some seating positioned so you can look out the windows; 3) a large light rug (think pattern instead of solid white or grey) would look great; 4) light colored throw pillows and throws in beautifully coordinated patterns, texture and tones. Plus, suggest you put tv on a low, long console table of light woods and fine craftsmanship. And large statement art pieces hung on major walls to break up all that gorgeous wood. Look at mid century modern, Asian, and Polynesian interiors for more inspiration and ideas. I hope you find my suggestions helpful, even though a bit rambling. It’s just that I think your den is exceptional! Good luck and have fun!

  • 5 years ago

    This room is utilized as a den. My children are home from college and high school therefore it’s a room I need to update promptly. A movie night room or perhaps a room to read a book. Unfortunately it so gloomy and cold that we tend to avoid it. I can’t paint the ceiling, but I did inquire about the ottoman(10 weeks out). The rug is currently out of stock. Lightning will definitely help as well. I purchased a wall mount for the television. I totally agree that the dark grey coach is blocking the lighting. I will try to relocate the coach but I’m limited on space. Next to the television is two sliding doors leading into the enclosed sunroom. I will send another pic tomorrow of the other side😊

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I would either mount the TV or get a corner cabinet in a weathered wood

    I would frame the picture you have in a light frame with a large light mat.

    Add a statue

    Add one or two chairs.

    Add a Sisal area rug



  • 5 years ago

    Wow! That’s really nice. Where did you find the chair?

  • 5 years ago

    It is just a picture I snagged from the internet - searched for swivel club chairs.

    Classic MCM style that I thought would work with your room.

  • 5 years ago

    The room is missing warmth. You can achieve warmth by adding a rug, throw pillows, throws, plants and lighting ( lamps, up lights in the corners, battery powered candles, etc). It all about adding pattern and texture. I would use a creamy color for textiles. Good luck!

  • 5 years ago

    Get the real thing, the original Milo Baughman from Thayer Coggin. I have them and they are the most comfy chair ever! People fight over them when I have guests over.


    Your room looks very Hawaiian to me. Great!

  • 5 years ago

    Are skylights out of the equation? You could retain the natural wood ceiling and bring in a lot of light. Also agrr with lighter furniture, rugs and enhanced lighting.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Bright colors, rugs, lamps, side tables, soft texture. TBH, the sectional is not doing the room any favors. Do you have to work around it or are you open to purchasing other furniture? Just breaking it up a bit would be a big help.



  • 5 years ago

    Just want to clarify - is the room cold in temperature or just aesthetics? Two very different issues.


  • PRO
    5 years ago

    This is a great era! It, your room, only needs a subtle makeover. Floor is great as is.


    The wood is great. Here is a sample of a 70's once 'honey colored' room with wood now softly stained. I like a grey beige color. More of a light stain. Let the wood grain show though. A few accents of colored furniture and a rug as accents mentioned above may be good. This era should be preserved but brought into today's era with comfortable colors.



  • 5 years ago

    Two sliding doors located on the opposite side of the room.

  • 5 years ago

    The sunroom adjoining this room has seven skylights. It’s still too dark. I would not add skylights to the den. Also, this room sits on the east side of our home. So, it gets the morning light.

  • 5 years ago

    We also have a lot of large trees in our community. I love our beautiful mature trees.

  • 5 years ago

    Your room is beautiful but very dark due to all of the dark surfaces. As has been suggested, a light colored area rug should help. If solar tubes are an option, I would highly recommend them...we have had four installed in our home (two in a dark-paneled room), and they made a huge difference in their respective rooms. But, if lack of warmth is a concern, I really feel like it is an emotional lack of warmth. The current pictured seating is not conducive to conversation. As nice as the sofa is, it does give the feeling of a doctor's office waiting room. Where is the fireplace in relation to the sofa? I would definitely add a chair or two to encourage conversation, as well as bring some focus to the fireplace as part of the seating area. I think the swivel club chairs suggested above are a great choice.

  • 5 years ago

    Seeing this picture I may try one more place to add light and texture - over the headers over the windows and doors with fabric. I wouldn't paint or stain the wood, but fabric can be added without damaging the wood underneath or a box can be constructed that fits over the wood without damage.




  • 5 years ago

    I think you could just go to a carpet store and find a nice light colored wool remnant and have it cut to fit your dimensions and bound.

  • 5 years ago

    The Thayer Coggin is really nice. This is truly my style. I’m very familiar with his designs. I must admit, I have buyers remorse on the dark grey sofa I purchased. Each chair reclines and I didn’t want to worry about spills. The other (living)room adjoining the den is off white. No ones sits in their. I really need this room to be a comfy, high end, budget conscious, and inviting.

  • 5 years ago

    I’m definitely doing a large off whit rug. Accent chairs with color, a must. I’m changing the wall art. Removing the tv from the glass table. Each window has custom headers. I would not add anything to the headers. On each side of the fireplace is the entry way to the living room and kitchen. Three rooms are adjoining to this den.

  • 5 years ago

    While the fireplace has lighter brickwork, everything else is DARK: flooring, wood walls, wood ceiling, and the sofa. If the roof overhangs the sides of the house it also reduces the amount of light which enters the house. I don’t see any light fixtures (table or floor lamps) except the ceiling track, which isn’t sufficient. Do you normally raise the blinds during the day? If the roof overhangs, could you add stationary skylights to the overhang on the side which gets the most sunlight?

  • 5 years ago

    Lights throughout the entire room. I

  • 5 years ago

    Great room! You’ve already gotten some good advice, and it sound like you are on your way to making some changes! Just a couple small suggestions... While it seems you have plenty of overhead lighting, it looks like the room could benefit from a lower “layer” of light — arc lamp, perhaps? Also, you mentioned getting new art... I would suggest having art framed with non glare or museum glass. Although the room itself is dark, I see a lot of light glare on your current art. Looking forward to seeing your room evolve!

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you! Another great suggestion.

  • 5 years ago

    How do you enter the room? Is that an opening by the fireplace? Can we see a pic of the fireplace wall from back by the TV? Maybe a rough sketch of the space?


    @Jennifer Hogan has a great idea with the chairs but also using pictures of the items you like together to see how they look. Start a Word doc with a pic or two of your space. Then pull in pics of ottomans, lamps, throws, etc to see how the textures, colors and styles work together. You do not need THAT particular rug but find one with texture. I personally would choose a patterned rug only if it was very muted as the floor is so amazing! Make sure you use a rug pad under for some cushiness and to protect your floor.


    Thinking something like this - depends on width of the couch. Behind the couch could be a bookcase in a light color to brighten up that corner. Or a console table. Or a console with seating. Definitely need a place for the TV - show us the rest of the fireplace wall..

    Tice Residences · More Info


    Westlake Game Room - After · More Info




  • 5 years ago

    If it literally too cold, add some nice throws or better yet an electric blanket.

  • 5 years ago

    No sense spending energy on buyer's remorse - just move forward.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Make sure you add some items that echo the warm tones from the walls and floors to help visually balance the room. If you decorate the seating area with all cool colors it's not going to play nice with your wood walls and ceiling and warm fireplace.

  • 5 years ago

    I would try rotating the seating to line up better (even separating a piece or two?) with the tv...moving it away from the windows at an angle...covering more of the big open space in the center of the room..as is ....you see nothing but the floor...the light color rug will help....but i would choose a colorful one to bring some life to the space....the right rug will guide any added colorful pieces....(art...pillows...throws..curtains..ottomans...etc) the room also lacks texture...instead of just art ...hanging textiles ...rugs...on the walls will soften the dark influence of the wood walls and the dark couch ...basically the room needs more personality and since it is a large room ...a theme is important to make it feel cozier...if there is room after rotating the couch another seating area ...maybe two chairs and a lamp..for reading ..or a small desk and chair?..will also break up the big square room feel...

  • 5 years ago

    The other consideration is ..where do you sit a drink ..or a tv guide.... or a magazine?...if the couch is pulled away from the window a console table behind it is convenient to reach back and use for this...a table in front is good as well wherever the reclining parts do not interfere

  • 5 years ago

    Lastly...one thing that doesnt seem right about this space is the sliders...covering them with curtains would be another opportunity to soften up the room...and lend a little privacy to both rooms...

  • 5 years ago

    I’m considering custom drapery on the windows(so all the light can come through and keep it warmer on colder days) The windows are sliders and custom built with the original cooper handles. The two sliding doors that lead to the sunroom has the exact same wood through out. The two rooms compliment each other. We use the sliders quite frequently. Also, I have done nothing to this room. I have placed a television and a couch in there and threw a blanket across the ottoman. No thoughts behind it other then the couch and the purpose of the room. It’s a clean slate. I need window coverings, accent chairs, an ottoman or coffee table, area rug, etc. I love designing. I have designed several rooms in our home. This particular room was a bit challenging for me. I’m looking to compliment and keep the integrity of the beautiful woodwork, the slate floors, the fireplace, high ceilings, and large windows. I thank you all whole heartedly for your suggestions. I have received some wonderful ideas. I will pull it all together, with your help and update you with the final results.

  • 5 years ago

    I would paint the walls a warm white/light taupe, like the floor grout. Keep the wood ceiling and dark floors. Keeping all the surfaces dark as they are, even with a light rug, is still going to look like a cave.