Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_276746588

A question about planting spring lily bulbs & winter veggies

Sara B.
3 years ago

Hello,

I have planted three orienpet tree lily bulbs in my garden, which I've read grow foliage in the Spring and will bloom in mid-summer. Big plants from the looks of it!

My question is: I have some Brussels sprouts and Swiss chard starts that I'd love to put around the lilies because I have a very small yard. I'm in an almost-year-round growing zone (a Zone 9b, some years a Zone 10a, depends, but basically the veggies should be ready for harvest in December).

No idea though if this will interrupt the growth cycle of the lily bulbs while they are planted? I figure it could shade them. They have 18" between the bulbs and hoped to plant dead center in the middle of them, but I don't want to mess up those lily bulbs for summer because gosh, they are gorgeous!

Will it impact the bulbs if I plant these crops next to them and harvest them in 2-3 months?

Thanks if you know! The bed is all bare, and that seems a shame until spring since it's next to the house, and this area can easily grow things year round (we get light morning frost but rarely ground freezes and some years, no frost).

Would love more help because I'm at a loss for where else to put the veggies other than in a fabric pot, but I want to plant soon -- they're getting huge! 10" already and cramped in a 5 gallon pot where I started them.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths