Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephaniecasa

How can I modernize this console?

stephaniecasa
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, I can change the lamps, objects on top but I can’t replace the console/cabinet. How can I make this a more modern entryway (door opens directly to the cabinet)? Thank you for any help! Disregard the box.

I’m using this as inspiration

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

I don't think you can unless you re-face the doors and drawers. By the time you do that, you'd be better off buying a new piece.

stephaniecasa thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • stephaniecasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m using this as inspiration, what do you think?

• Jilly
    3 years ago

You absolutely can mix modern elements with rustic/traditional/etc. It’s a gorgeous cabinet and would look pretty awesome with MCM or contemporary accents on it. It’d be a wonderful eclectic, collected look.

Or am I reading it wrong? Are you wanting to modify the cabinet itself? If so, I agree with Sabrina ... not sure it’d be worth it.

stephaniecasa thanked Jilly
  • stephaniecasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you- yes I can’t change the furniture piece I can only change what’s on top- add elements

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Sorry, I didn’t see your inspiration pic before — yes, items like those would look great with your cabinet!

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

Hmm. I'm not so sure unless you also change out the feet on your piece, which are very traditional. Again, too much hassle/cost, IMO. You might as well sell this online and put the money toward a new unit.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I think your current lamps are too dark and the wrong style.

if you like the 2nd pic, then get similar items. If you have nothing decent to reflect in a mirror, then how about a nice picture? (like a painted canvas picture, not photograph)

coordinate the lamp colors w/the colors in the artwork

Or, get that piece spray lacquered in a cool color

stephaniecasa thanked Beth H. :
  • C Marlin
    3 years ago

I think you can leave it as is putting more a contemporary item on top. I have a traditional side board in my entry, I was concerned it sets the wrong tone for the rest of my house. I really like it now as I have mixtures of furniture pieces which give my house more interest. As my first designer said, you want your house to look like you've collected pieces over the years (not like you bought out Pottery Barn yesterday). Keep it, enjoy it. Replace all the top stuff with something light.

stephaniecasa thanked C Marlin
  • acm
    3 years ago

Your inspiration isn't coming through -- be sure it's a jpeg.

I agree -- nothing brown on top -- go for an eclectic mix of colorful and light-toned pieces. There are lots of interesting ways to mix classical and transitional elements for a nice look. Lemme see if I can find a couple.

My Houzz: Moody Wall Treatments and Eclectic Style in Austin · More Info

Traditional With Pops of Color · More Info

i'd start with a piece of art to hang over the piece and work from there.

stephaniecasa thanked acm
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

The console itself will never look "modern" as is and there's nothing wrong with that. I can't see the feet in the pic but I wouldn't bother changing them or removing them to tone down the rustic or traditional vibe of the piece. I'd simply style the console like your inspiration pic and "forget" about the console. Do you know what I mean? It's there, it fits, it works for your needs and you styled it to your liking. Totally adopt C Marlin and Jinx's stance about making the piece work for you rather than work around it. Not every piece in a house needs to be the same style. A bit of contrast and eclectism in a home is often a good thing. Hope you'll share "after" pics. :)

stephaniecasa thanked tartanmeup
  • stephaniecasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for all the help. It’s a yearly rental house and I’m just rearranging what I can to make it more my style. These example ideas are so great though! I definitely could put artwork there! I’m really bad with appropriate sizes and heights so pictures are very helpful because I can attempt to recreate. Thanks again!

• Rebekah Gibbs
    3 years ago

I love the console! Right now everything is just so brown. I would nix the lamps completely and hang a mirror. Push the statue to one end with a nice potted plant with a white planter or a color that stands out and maybe a stack of coffee table books with a shallow bowl for keys or a framed photo/print on the other end. I would also swap the knobs on the console for something more visually interesting like these brass knobs

stephaniecasa thanked Rebekah Gibbs
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County