Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

Started growing fuchsia...questions

rosecanadian
3 years ago

Hi,

I'm usually in the rose forum, but I started growing some fuchsias in the spring. I had about 20 little plugs that I put in a pot. They took a while to get going...but then they had wonder blooms.

So this is ALL of those plugs. I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm going to overwinter them in the garage...at what temperature do I bring them in?

2. Should I separate all of the plugs into their own pots? If so...what size?

3. I think I know how to overwinter them...I'm in zone 3. But, I'll take any help. :)

4. I've read that I should seal each cut with glue? Is that necessary?

Thanks!

Carol

Comments (11)

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Jennifer!!!

Yes, I ordered them from Vesseys...I like that they're not the usual purple and pink ones.

Yes, they need cool night times...so perfect for our summers.

Yeah...I think it may be too hot where you are...mine are in a lot of shade.

Thanks, Jennifer!!!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

Hi guys! I love fuchsia but I’m just kind of winging it with them. I’ve got two that come back every year and are fine but not great. I’m going to try to pay more attention to them this year.

Next I have three in the ground that are one year old and are also kind of puny but they did finally flower at the end of the season so I’m hoping as they put on some size and with regular doses of fish emulsion they will improve.

I do plan to try and “protect” some of my orange and coral colored ones this year with tons of leaves and maybe try to tuck them into some protected places.

Like Jen said there is a local place that I get all my fuchsia from Earthworks that does mail order. She is great and the fuchsia tags are very detailed so you know if they are perennial or not. Of course you need to pay ATTENTION to the tags and not let the dogs or littles lose them🤦🏻‍♀️

I wish I had garage knowledge of them. Perhaps I shall stick a couple in there too and see how that goes, water once a month you think?

I‘ve never done the glue thing. Maybe that’s why most of mine in pots never comes back. Hmmm... I was thinking of packing away my begonias this week. Maybe I’ll play around with my fuchsia too.

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oursteelers - yeah...I'm winging it too. :) I have no idea if each of those plugs should be in their own container or just leave them be. LOL I'm thinking of taking some of the fuchsias out of the pot and keeping them dormant in the basement...just in case the garage ones dy, because the place I got them from (Vesseys bulbs/seeds) is all sold out. If I can't keep these alive...there'll be none for next year.

• charles kraft (SoCal 9B)
    3 years ago

Ordering fuchsias online.

I have dealt with

EARTHWORKS

JOY CREEK

ANNIE'S ANNUALS

TAYLOR GREENHOUSE

And been happy with them all. I see

GROWJOY

Sells mail order as well, I haven'the bought from them yet.

Not saying anything about any others, just spreading information. All seem to be out of stock on everything, seasonal problem. If there is something special you are looking good for, they can be contacted directly. Most they can say is "no".

100 to 115 weather has not helped mine this fall, even the ones in the ground.

rosecanadian thanked charles kraft (SoCal 9B)
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, Charles...that's pretty hot for fuchsias!! The place I order from here in Canada no longer sells them. So, I really hope I get mine to overwinter. :)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Bring them in as the temps get cold but before they reach freezing. The leaves will probably yellow and drop by that time. Over winter keep the Fuchsia in a cool bright spot. I was going to write a screed but this link has all the info you need. http://www.fuchsiaflower.co.uk/overwintering.htm

Whether you separate the plugs is entirely your choice.

Btw they are really easy to grow from cuttings if you want more. And don't seal any cuts with glue.

rosecanadian thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Floral!! My fuchsias had been in the garage for awhile. Then I got worried and brought them in the basement in a dark cool room. I haven't checked on them yet. Sure hope they're doing okay.

Thanks for the information...maybe (if the plants survive) I'll keep them as is and separate them the next year as they'll probably outgrow their pot. And good to know about not sealing the cuts!!

Thanks!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

I’ve already put my begonias to bed for the winter and today I will cut my questionable fuschia back and put them in the garage.

That would be great if they make it to spring. One of my problems doing this is I forget to give them water. This is why I have better luck overwintering begonias...you can just forget them and in the spring they wake up :)

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good point! I have to remember. Although I do water my roses starting in January...about 1 cup each....so in January I'll remember. I think I should go check on my fuchsias today.

I wish us both good luck with our overwintering!! :) :)

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Charles...I'm going to look at those places you mentioned and see about delivery to Canada. Thanks!