dbarronoss

October 2020, Week 2

dbarron

It seems like it has to be October week 54! I was up at midnight, so decided to jump on posting so I don't forget later.

It's SO dry, I'm going to have to start watering the 30 foot sweet bay magnolia (haven't watered it in 4 years) by running the hose for hours and soaking. No flowers last more than a day due to low relative humidity and drying winds. No rainfall in forecast till the 27th :( And it has warmed back up since last week's posting, and I'm back in running AC after having about a week and a half of having windows open and AC turned off.

I anxiously await the rain so that I can continue planting all the seeds I started this spring of perennials as well as things that I ordered. The ground is so hard and the conditions so unforgiving that I think things are safer in pots till rains begin or things go dormant or something. I'm actually looking forward to winter to stop the watering.

Plant wise, I have a few asters, turks cap mallow, a florida native yellow with black centers coreopsis, and american beauty berry still going. Most other things are kinda fitful, the lantanas are winding down, the salvia greggii flowers dry out every day..so not much show there,

In the pot jungle, I do have my georgia savory which even though it's only a gallon size, typically has at least 4 bumblebees on it at all times. A blue sky vine (thunbergia alata) that is coming into it's fall/winter bloom, even though the flowers get dried out within the first day :(. My tomatillos continue to produce, but something eats on them (I'm thinking rats or squirrels) just before I would pick them. They only ruin them and take bites out of the fruit..don't eat whole thing. I have a few hot peppers and basil still doing their thing.

The forecast I'm seeing is slightly warmer and drier all winter. If we don't get some rain soon, things are gonna be really bad. I have a feeling, that from what we've seen so far this year, things will be unsettled and variable. In some ways it's nice to have variety, but it's a bit unpleasant to have to watch the weather to figure out how to dress tomorrow. Shorts one day, winter coats the next, etc.

• dbarron

I had white flies (maybe what you're talking about) in clouds about 2 weeks ago, but they seem to have dissipated in my yard since then. I haven't seen a garden spider (usually several) since last year :(

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

My orb Weaver is probably one of your writing spiders. I left her alone. Ron says there are 2 more. It sounds like you have white fly. I had some on the cucumbers. I don't know what you can do about them. An insecticidal soap spray maybe. They are like aphids and preyed on by the same beneficials that eat aphids. You can hose them off the same as you would aphids. I read you can vacuum them off. They don't survive winter weather, but make sure you don't take any infested plants in the house where they can live. My cucumbers died. My cucumbers always die. But I have not noticed whiteflies since.

dbarron thanked AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

Help please! Keep 1 large bathroom or divide into 2??

We, too, own a Victorian with one bath and 3 bedrooms upstairs, and a 3/4 bath and added half bath downstairs. Oh, and two daughters aged 10 and 11 when we redid our upstairs bath. A near-perfect match (our laundry is in the basement). I voted for one bath because when adding on is not practical it gets really hard to move plaster walls and plumbing in a Victorian on any thing approaching a reasonable budget. And because we in fact did just one bath and survived quite well. The trick for us was to divide the bath --clawfoot tub/shower and toilet in one room, Vanity with Drawers for All in another. Doing one bath meant we could afford a custom vanity and medicine chest, and a beautiful patterned hex-tile floor. Read the Not So Big House books, and consider what you might be able to include in one divided bath versus the things you have to give up to get two baths. In the case of the Scott Designs layouts (which I think are very clever and hope the engineer okays them), the master is very small and the girls can't get to the toilet while someone is working with the laundry....

POLL: How early can I put up Halloween decorations?

If you're anything like me, then you live in a permanent state of Halloween all year round. I love creepy things. I love antiques, old books. Even my house itself has been described as "dark", "haunted", and "gothic". It was built in 1925. It has thick, dark trim, and cast iron radiators, and old rope and pulley windows. One of the exterior doors still locks with a skeleton key. There is this mysterious little closet halfway up the stairs and I keep a disembodied mannequin hand in there just to freak people out whenever they open it. My house has a big, distinct attic window (think Amityville horror). I even have two black cats and they exist all year round.

Deck builder

If this is a busy,, big deck builder, you're likely pushed back because as you said, you have no dates in your contract. Is this "the," guy in your neighborhood? Yes, you've been patient, and you are small potatoes to bigger jobs. If you still want him, invite him over for coffee or a beer, with two copies of the contract. Don't be adversarial, but do be proactive. Once he tears out the existing deck, you owe him 3k or better. Talk it out. Holes can be dug he can auger in frozen ground. His contact is heavily loaded in his favor. Some scratchouts and changes.... Dates and payment schedule... Would be appropriate, but you are the homeowners, and the ones to decide what you can live with, and for how long. If you are in a small town, in a rural area, and he's the best, you just want to work it out. Unfortunately, his schedule at this point puts you at 66 per cent paid, no lumber, deck torn out, and nothing but posts and hope til spring. Possibly. If you can't work a better agreement and schedule, I'd likely kiss the 500 goodbye. And buy a book on deck building.

The Start of Things to Come

Thought I would add the floor plan too, not exact and not showing the post or doors, but gives an idea of the layout. I'm happy that the post hasn't become an obstacle, we hardly notice it's there. The 'gym'/office room has the door on a angle to allow for additional swingspace for moving furniture etc, as that small area outside of the laundry room was quite tight, so it's opened it up quite a bit. I also planned the angled door to give a clear line of sight to the sitting area so that any 'moms' can keep an eye on the kids while working/exercising. Play room area is open with no wall on the stairs side also making it easy to see/hear what the kids are up to. We painted the door to the furnace room the same as the wall colour so that it wasn't prominent. Unfortunately the shower room opens to the space where the table is, but we made sure the room was well insulated to help with noise control, so far no one has even asked to use the other bathroom.
  • Larry Peugh

I think they may be white flies. I pulled up a picture of white flies, and, I am guessing that is what they look like. I would have to get a magnifying glass to be more accurate, of course it would be hard to get the bug to sit still long enough to look it over. I am afraid next years garden may be in trouble if these things are harmful.

dbarron thanked Larry Peugh
  • dbarron

I never really noticed white flies before in the garden..I'm thinking our dryness helped them proliferate. I've sure had them inside (esp on lantanas).
    I made it to Home Depot today and bought an upright freezer. I've wanted space to buy 1/2 beef for years. Despite the shortage of freezers because of covid, I got lucky and mine will be delivered Friday. I'm working on the 1/2 beef now.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

I lost another friend yesterday. She was a water instructor at the Y.

dbarron thanked AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
  • Larry Peugh

Amy, I am sorry for your loss.

dbarron, you did get lucky. I checked Home Depot, and , Lowes a couple of months ago, none in stock, and did not know when there would be any.

I am transplanting 6 boc choi this morning. The north garden has gotten to be in the shade a lot in the cool months. I will plant a few of the cool season things in the south garden, some of the items I have in both gardens and wont fool with them.

Three more days and I will be out of jail, it will be 2 weeks since being exposed to covid. I will be so excited to be free, I will probably have a heart attack .

Kim, Nancy, and others, I took some pictures of the wildlife garden yesterday. I do this every so often lust for me to see the changes that are going on. I will share if you like, but I don't know how to make a link of start a post. It is not the type of gardening most of you do, but I enjoy it. It is sort of a land/lot building for me. In my mind, I see one of the grand kids raising a family there. It is land I use to explore when I was a child, land I planted 700 pine seedling on when in my early teens, but it is so overgrown now that some of it cant be walked through. I owned the land at one time, but no one has cared for the land except me in the past 60 + years. If I make the land pretty, maybe my daughter or a grand daughter will keep it that way.

dbarron thanked Larry Peugh
  • luvncannin

Larry would love to see the pictures.

Amy I am so sorry for you. It’s such a tough time right now

• jlhart76

Nothing garden related to report here.

I always enjoy seeing others' gardens. Some of y'all have the garden I dream of having, large enough to grow whatever you want.

• hazelinok

Amy, I'm sorry about your friend.

I'm thankfully off work today and had planned on cleaning. But realized quickly that I can't really clean. There's wedding stuff everywhere. I am organizing it--putting "cake table" items in a box, "s'mores table" stuff in a box...stuff like that. But, cleaning will be difficult. I did clean the bathrooms and do laundry. I was down to Christmas undies again.

Ethan comes in from Portland tomorrow. I hope he doesn't want to move there...at least not for awhile. I'm concerned.

Won't garden much today, but will probably water the kitchen garden and flower beds.

Question. How do you divide bulbs? Is it just digging them up?

My sister in law will be town tomorrow for the wedding and wants some of the red cannas I have. I think they're called Lucifer. I know so little about flowers and bulbs. I probably need to water that bed really well. I've neglected that particular bed this year and it looks like crap. Anyway, can I just dig them and put them in a bag or box and they're good for awhile? And do I leave the stalk/flower on the bulb?

• Larry Peugh

I will try to post pictures to try to show where I hope to go with the wild life garden.

This is the very south of where I am working. There is a wet weather creek at my feet and I cant walk well enough to go to the property line, which is just this side of the chain link fence down just past the electric pole.

This is where I turned 180 degrees, and now facing north, the proper goes up to the line of up as far as you can see in the picture. The thicket on the right is too dense to walk in. Nearly all my work has been past the electric pole in front of the camera. It is very dry, the green you see is clover I have planted for the wildlife.

I will stop here and start another post, because I am not good at posting and afraid I will loose what I have so far.

• farmgardener

Larry, glad you and Madge are almost over “lockdown“ and that you stayed healthy. About your rambling- don‘t you dare stop! I enjoy your stories, my husband and I have done so many of the same things - repairing old machinery because it’s all we had, working hard to improve the land to be good stewards and also in the hope that one of the kids would want to use it as a farm someday. Our youngest daughter is a teacher and she dreams of retiring and have a place where families can have picnics and hayrides and walks in the country and children can have old fashioned parties instead of some huge entertainment venue. So we try to keep the whole farm as well managed as possible while running 50+ head of cattle on it. Our youngest son wants an acreage but not a lot of mowing and maintenance- just a garden space and a small creek to fish in The other 2 kids only want money, so thats what we will arrange for them.

Marleigh, I found it interesting what you said about turmeric and ulcers. I too take it for arthritis because the prescription meds and ibuprofen and Tylenol tear up my stomach and kidneys. I also am a firm believer in a Vitamin D3 supplement even though I spend alot of time outside.

Nancy, I got a laugh from your description of the robot vacuum

“ falling off the cliff”. 😂 You are much more advanced than I am. I haven’t set mine up to program or run from phone and not going to. I only run it when I am home and either inside or only going outside for a few minutes. As to your question of canning tomatoes in a water bath: yes I have canned them that way for over 50 years. Just make sure they have enough vinegar or lemon juice to bring the acid up. I don’t like tomatoes pressurized- they are mushy in my opinion.

Hazelinok, I think you are Jennifer? We all get overwhelmed and feel inadequate, and there are always people who try to make you feel that way. Just do what you can and live with that. I am the oldest of 5 siblings and I learned long ago you can’t be everything for everyone. Hopefully after the wedding you won’t be as stressed.

Finally, thank you all for continuing this forum, I think Dawn would want and expect us to. Our best way to honor her memory is to go on and share all the knowledge she shared with us and to continue to pray for her family. How lost they will be without her. 😢

I still have squash, a bit of okra, a few tomatoes, and some new green beans blooming. The hummingbirds are gone, but the doves are thick. Had very few monarchs this year. We need rain!

farmgardener (Glenda)

• Larry Peugh

We have moved north 2 acres now to where the land goes back out to the highway.. The area ahead is where I plant zinnias. You can see daikon radishes there now. They are the pale green plants along the ditch. I have removed some of the soil through here and placed it on an old road bed that I will show later. You can see the low areas that I create for drainage. I make these every so often, leaving the sod intact when I come back the next growing season to work the organic matter into the soil. This gives a gentle path for the water to drain without washing away the soil. The darker colored plants to the left are forage collards. The wildlife seem to like them better than the radishes, but the radish plants will penetrate the soil better, and leave radish sticking up to catch material washing by.

We have moved north another 150 + feet. This was the pile logs that I had planned on being a critter den till the rotted down enough to plant into. It was a big flop, it created a critter motel for critter to live in while they ate everything in sight. I am going to burn the pile and steal some of that soil to fill in the low spots in the old road bed you see in front of me.

I will post these to pictures, and grab a couple more.

• Larry Peugh

We have moved up to the north edge of the eastern side of the wildlife garden. Ahead you see a patch of turnips. You can also see the log pile, and the other turnips, radishes, forage collards, and winter peas. The top right you see part of the thicket that I dont plan on doing anything with. There is another patch of radishes, collards and peas the other side of the pickup. Next spring I plan on planting flowers along the highway, except where the drainage areas are, I dont want to disturb the soil and sod.

We have moved west about 150-200 feet and looking north east. These are my Old timey cornfield pumpkins, only about 6 plants survived the critter attacks. I should have 35+ pumpkins to harvest. I would not have had any if I had not put up the electric fence. The pumpkins were not plowed or weeded, and almost no watering.

We have moved another 100 to 150 feet west, looking almost due east. This is a pea patch planted for the critters. I tore up the land, but my neighbor did the rest. I have been staying away from people because I was exposed to covid. we are on the north side of the large thicket where the critters rule. It is too thick to walk in there. This view is also across the pumpkin patch and one of the turnip patches. The west boundary is about 50 to 75 feet behind me. The land across the highway is land that I worked on, or had worked on, but I lease that out. I still do some cleaning on it like spraying and brush hogging.

dbarron thanked Larry Peugh
  • luvncannin

dbarron thanked luvncannin
  • luvncannin

Okay picture came through

4 Th try

i will not try to correct spelling and punctuation

i have disappearing leaves. First on my red okra. Then a different area my sweet potato and roselle leaves. Just the leaves. Any ideas what it could be

• Larry Peugh

I have not had anything bother my roselle, but deer have got my sweet potatoes and okra more than once.

dbarron thanked Larry Peugh
  • Nancy Waggoner

Okay, yeah, y'all are my best friends, but I bailed yesterday and today. Garry and I had the boat into the lake by 8:30 a.m., late by fishermen's standards--early by ours. The poor fella was outfished today. Nancy 12, Garry Dean 7. I thought of Dawn so very much today on the lake. I think of her all the time here gardening, too. I even was thinking about her when I thought I'd start painting next month.

Amy, I am SO sorry. You must be feeling so much grief right now. I CAN not continue posting this evening. I am fried, and sunburn-fried, also. I enjoyed seeing all your posts. Love.

dbarron thanked Nancy Waggoner
  • OklaMoni

Kim, I think, the okra loosing leaves is normal at this time of the year. I actually consider it a bonus, as now it is easier to find the pods. :)

Moni

dbarron thanked OklaMoni
  • luvncannin

No these were chewed off Moni. Then the one roselle and all sweet potatoes

dbarron thanked luvncannin
  • dbarron

Well, I'd say deer, but depends on how high the leaves were eaten...rats can do it too.

• luvncannin

dbarron

i think it was deer.

I never thought about it until last night. And then Today my sil said there was a deer here Last night.

dbarron thanked luvncannin
  • Rebecca (7a)

All my romaine bolted as soon as it came up. Probably because of our weather swings. Trying again now that it’s cooling off.

dbarron thanked Rebecca (7a)
  • Larry Peugh

My butter crunch looks pretty good, mot sure if I have ever grown it before. My wife just does not take to green crops too well, I will have to work on that. My beets and carrots are sick. This is the 2nd or 3rd time to try carrots, I did not have any luck before either. I think one thing I do wrong is not feeding my plants. I try to just use compost or something natural, often not enough on hand. I will break down and toss a little fertilizer around the plants.

We are showing chances of needed rain, so I plowed a fire break around my log pile in the wildlife garden, if conditions get right I will burn the pile and work the ground enough to plant some kind of cover crop.

There is not a lot going on in the garden. I have more greens than an army can eat. They will be use as a cover/manure crop this spring, I may let some of them go to seed, because some kinds of small birds love the seeds. My neighbor wants to plant some kind of milo, we may plant some, but I normally plant some kind of millet, I think it has a better food value. I will go with what he thinks to a point because he is so nice to help. We just differ on the food value, plus I already have a 50# bag of brown top millet, that and buck wheat will produce seed very quick. I can see planting both will give food for a long period.

• jlhart76

HJ, you asked about dividing cannas. They literally are almost unkillable. I dug up a bunch one year to take to a co worker & tossed them on my patio, then bagged them up when I was done working outside. One rhizome got missed, and about a week later I noticed it was growing leaves. So, I decided to experiment & left it growing. That darned thing grew and bloomed, a bare root sitting on concrete. So I'm pretty sure you have to work at killing them (or plant in a yard where dogs routinely dig them up- thankfully they're non toxic)

• dbarron

I have been trying to kill a bed of cannas since I moved in (5 years ago), though I haven't actually dug them up. It took me till this year to get 1/2 bed killed by pulling them every time they grew. My next approach is that I found they're edible..so soon I'll be trying baked canna roots and steamed canna leaves in spring.

Oh yeah, hard to kill....believe me ;)

• Marleigh 7a/Okmulgee Co.

I need to get some cannas for an area I have where nothing will grow. Maybe I will succeed in being the first to kill them. 😆

dbarron thanked Marleigh 7a/Okmulgee Co.
  • hazelinok

So... digging the cannas is basically the same as dividing them?

lol

okay. I can do that. Thanks, Jen. 😊

dbarron thanked hazelinok
  • OklaMoni

WHAAAAAAAAT... cannas are edible? What part? Please, do report on how you prepare them.

Moni

dbarron thanked OklaMoni
  • Larry Peugh

Cannas are one of the flowers I can remember growing many years ago. I liked to redo the beds each year. I would dig everything up, spade and amend the soil. I would have so many cannas that it was hard to give away all my extra ones. Lilies are another flower I liked to grow. Back then you got paper bags at the grocery store, and it was not uncommon to have 4 or 5 bags of cannas and lilies to give away. One of the reasons I don't grow flowers now is it is too hard to work the soil, and that was the part that I enjoyed the most. I think that one reason I love my junky tractors is the fact that I can work the soil and sit on my bottom. It is expensive to keep a tractor ( or any other equipment ) up. During my life I have enjoyed many hobbies, they all were expensive. Some people make money off their hobbies, but I never did, but I have given a lot of stuff away, and done a lot of free projects.

I think my small tractor is repaired now. I worked an area late yesterday, I think I will go out and check the tractor for signs to show that it is still repaired, if so, I will go over to the wildlife garden and sling so more dirt. It looks like we may get some rain, and if I bust up the soil, more water will soak in and I will have less run-off.

I also need to get my sweet potatoes ready for storage. It will soon be pumpkin harvesting time also.

dbarron thanked Larry Peugh
  • AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

Back in the early 80's I used to get organic gardening magazine. I would devour it from cover to cover. In the back, there were always ads for the magical Vitamix. I was fascinated. Of course I couldn't afford a $500 blender back then. But I just bought a $350 one on Amazon. I'm excited. I will report back on how it performs.

I had bad vertigo yesterday for the first time in a long time. I have no idea what causes it. So yesterday was a waste. I looked at soup recipes on Pinterest. I like soup. I like brothy soup, like miso or egg drop soup. We're going to try this one, a LOT of garlic. https://simple-veganista.com/roasted-garlic-miso-greens/

I also like a thicker broth like the goulash at Margaret's or chicken and dumplings. The only good thing about winter is the food. Hearty, warming, probably high calorie. Supposedly you can run your ingredients in the vitamix long enough it will heat the soup. Maybe I'll start having smoothies. There was a "pesto" soup recipe. https://wellandfull.com/2016/08/green-pesto-vegetable-soup/ skip down to the actual recipe.

Looks like it is time to bring in house plants. I don't want to. Did I mention I found some arugula growing from a spring planting? It flowered in the other spot. This is Astro variety and is nutty flavored, not bitter. I'm pleased. I may have baby plants where the other went to seed. I should look.

dbarron thanked AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
  • Larry Peugh

Amy, you reminded me to call Madge and tell her to bring home some garlic.

A long time ago, I did not have a woman to keep me busy, and I worked the night shift. I would go around to garage and yard sales in the day time and pick up broken thing to fix. It was surprising how cheap you could buy broken items, some not worth fixing, but most I could a dollar part and have a nice appliance. I bought a camping stove in Fairbanks Alaska for $1.00 and still have it. I like the old style of pump up stoves and lanterns, but it is harder to get parts for them now.

dbarron thanked Larry Peugh
  • OklaMoni

Amy you will LOVE your vita mix I bet. I bought one, once I struck out solo... magically I could afford one then. LOL

Moni

dbarron thanked OklaMoni
  • hazelinok

Larry, Tom and I were watching a news story on TV a few days ago. It was something about tractors--newer tractors and how expensive it is to have the manufacturer fix them, but the computers on the newer equipment made it difficult for owners to fix their own stuff. Maybe there's even laws where owners can't fix their own equipment. The story was interesting, but a little confusing to me.

I received the 2021 Dixondale catalog today and thought of Dawn. We are going to try long day varieties next year...along with the others.

Marleigh, I have cannas on the west side of my house with no shade in the afternoon. They're even up again the brick house. They live there. They don't look good right now, but I've been bad about watering them this summer. I've been bad about a lot of things (and good about others.)

Only so many hours in a day, right?

Amy, sorry you're had a bad day yesterday. I hope you feel better.

And, yes, it's almost the time of year to pack on the pounds with winter food. It just seems to happen. I was doing really well until about a week ago. Not sure what's going on. I haven't even started baking yet.

I'll make note of the Astro arugula. I am an arugula fan.

It feels odd to sit still for a bit. In the middle of the day. We took the school to Orr Family Farm yesterday, which is a neat place. Luckily the kids were good and mostly stayed right with us. Got sunburned. Grrrr!

Then, after work, drove to Dallas (thought of Dawn when passing the Marietta exit) to get Ethan. Luckily made it home right after midnight. I was afraid it would be later. And he's not talking about moving there anytime soon. (SOON) But is planning another trip in January. His friend likes to cook, bake and she has a little garden too.

HU watered both gardens and did a few other things while we gone. It was hot and windy yesterday so I'm sure the plants really needed the attention and I'm happy HU was able to help.

Speaking of the wind, something just blew off my porch. Probably my "The Witch is in" sign. My large plastic cauldron blew under Ethan's car and he drug it half a block before realizing it. It's a goner.

We are putting together the s'mores bags tonight at my mom's house. The wedding is mostly outdoors and the venue has a fire pit, so...s'mores.

It's definitely a weird wedding. S'mores, gourmet taco food truck--stuff like that. It's a beautiful place, though. The stone barn is super cool. I wish I had one on my property.

I think I'll walk the garden and then take a quick nap before doing wedding stuff.

dbarron thanked hazelinok
  • Larry Peugh

Jennifer, my tractors are not like the ones used in farming. Mine are much smaller, and older. They dont have any of the electronic stuff on them, and I have bypassed all the safety switches on them to make the as simple as possible.

The largest tractor I have is a 50 horse powered John Deere, it is 43 years old, but I have had much rebuild and repair work done on it, and it runs good. The problem I had with it was the started hung and my hearing is so bad I could not hear the problem. I kept driving the tractor and did quite a bit of damage. My small tractor is a 21 horse powered Kubota, it is over 20 years old. I got some bad fuel and the filter did not clean the fuel and it caused injector pump problems. My neighbor is a heavy equipment mechanic and got them both running very well. It did cost me $600.00, but I paid him more than he ask. It was very handy for me because he could bring his service truck right in to where the tractors were and use the crane to lift off the loader. If I had the tractors taken for repair it was going to cost me $4.00 a loaded mile for each tractor for hauling alone. I can not use my body well enough to do that type of repair any more.

I got to use both tractors to do work in the wildlife garden today. I would be lost without the tractors. I also planted onions and garlic in the south garden, and watered both the north and south garden.

dbarron thanked Larry Peugh
  • hazelinok

Oh, I know your tractors are not like the ones in the news story, Larry. I just thought of you when I saw it...and thought it would be something you would be interested in.

I really need to stop assuming these things about you. And tractors. LOL. First the Blake Shelton video and now this. I'm sorry.

Anyone protecting their gardens from potential frost tonight?

dbarron thanked hazelinok
  • dbarron

I'm wondering (it's 50 now) if first light sees me gathering tomatillos and roasting them (vs wasting them)..I'm hopeful. I did move all tender potted plants into the back porch yesterday. I'm thinking I'll probably (after freezer delivery) work on putting them in winter homes, because we'll be frosting again end of month, might as well not drag them in and out again. I talked to my father yesterday, he thought frost was early..but I'm remembering childhood Halloweens with snow falling several times (also remember some where the costume was so darn hot and sweaty).

I'm expecting delivery of my upright freezer this morning. The delivery voicemail yesterday must have been produced by a non-english speaker (even though it was an automated call). It directed me that if my house was safe (suppossed reference to Covid), to reschedule. It also directed me to 'respect' the site for obstructions. I wonder if my laundry has any respect at all?
    I do look forward to putting 1/2 a cow into it. If only the old family friend will ask her daughter if a side is available (seems to keep not doing it, because I'm sure she's talking to her daughter). I wanted to buy from a known source versus complete stranger. In the distant past, my family has been burned with buying extremely old/tough beef, though often that has been the slaughter-house pulling something as it was OUR beef and wasn't old.

• Larry Peugh

Jennifer, I think you and Tom would enjoy a tractor. My neighbor has one that just might fit your needs. All though I tell him all the time, that those green tractors are junk, which they are not, they are very good tractors. He bought it new a few months ago, along with other attachments, and loves it.

dbarron, I dont have any summer stuff other than peppers and rosellle. I dont think my wife wants any more of either one. If we cant give them away, they will just go to waste. My next to youngest granddaughter will be in from college this weekend and I expect she will want to take some produce home with her, as well as my daughter and another granddaughter.

I have a good sit-up for beef. The man that rents this place has a pretty black steer that would look good in my freezer. There is also a small slaughter house about 2 miles north of me, but I dont have room in the freezer, and we dont eat a lot of meat anyway.

Today I hope to get the sweet potatoes ready for storage, and we dont really have room for them, the butternut, or the pumpkin. I have been giving things away to reduce the size of the pile. My daughter has a large house and lots of room for storage, but there is only two of them, she and my granddaughter dont eat a lot of meat either, but I think they could store some sweet potatoes, butternut, and pumpkins, plus they are young and know a lot of people to give food to, some I understand have fallen on hard times because of health and the economy.

dbarron thanked Larry Peugh
  • AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

I remember most Octobers being hot right up to the day and then boom, the north wind would blow and we would need a coat over our costume. I remember taking the kids around with the neighbor. They had a van. Jump out the side door, run to a house, run back to the van to warm up, drive 30 feet. Do it again. Of course the year I made a casper costume for my youngest out of thick felt, that year stayed hot. We put tender plants in the garage last night. It would have been nice to have a greenhouse ready. I want the citrus to live in the greenhouse someday. The Ginger and turmeric went in the garage. I suspect they could live in a greenhouse, too. According to the mesonet, we only went down to 41. Sometimes Tulsa is warmer than we are.

H/J, it's not just tractors. Ron used to be able to work on most things, but so many things have computer pieces in them (that cost a fortune) and are meant to be completely replaced if they go bad. He replaced the wiper blades on his truck last week. $60 for wiper blades!!! They make it hard to work on engines because they put things in the way, making it difficult to even do your own oil changes.

It would be nice if the would offer some retro stuff without all the computer stuff, but much of that is to improve mileage so they can't.

I remembered seeing kids toy tractors and thought Larry could use one of those, but they're not strong enough. The do sell "mini" tractors, but they're not cheap.

I'm sure I will love my vitamix, Moni, like I love the kitchenaid mixer. Maybe Ron will use them more, since he's the cook. I imagine I can get rid of the old blender and maybe the food processors. Yes, I have 2. One is big and fancy and probably would do much of what the vitamix does. My daughter has already called dibs, not that she will use it. I only used it to chop up ginger and turmeric. Maybe she'll make babyfood.

The dogs want to be fed. I had to bring the big dogs in because there were a couple of dogs running loose and I was afraid Sasquatch would jump the fence. Now the beagle is outside barking pitifully. She's not enough beagle to bay, but she has a strange bark that sounds like she's being tortured.

TTFN

dbarron thanked AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
  • dbarron

I'm a heathen, I don't like raw tomatoes (red or green), but I like fried green tomatoes :)

• jlhart76

I think there's been a vitamix booth at the fair for as long as I can remember. I love going by there, mainly for the free samples but also for some ideas for smoothies. Of course my walmart special doesn't make them as liquidy as the vitamix does, but they still taste pretty close.

We lost our 3 year old girl (dog, just to clarify) over the weekend. No warning, just threw up & collapsed. Vet couldn't do anything so we had to let her go. Cliff took it pretty hard, so we wound up looking for a new one to join our herd. We named him Shadow because he's always attached to my feet. Only 2 months old so I'm scared he's gonna be a monster. He can't take her place, but maybe the distraction will help. Also, our boys are getting older & we need an active one here to entertain all the guests.

• luvncannin

So pretty Jen. Going to be huge

dbarron thanked luvncannin
  • Larry Peugh

Jen, I am so sorry for the loss of your fur baby. I know it can really be hard, we have a Yorkie that turned 14 the 19 th of last month. He has health issues that cant be cured, but we treat him the best we can. We dont do well with his diet, and he is hungry all the time. He loves raw vegges, and sweet potatoes is one of his favorites, but I have to chew them for him because he has almost no teeth, but he thinks that daddy makes them better anyway. Your new baby is going to be a large one.

dbarron, I like fried green tomatoes also, but I like all tomatoes, but cooked ones the least.

We have some pretty good chances of rain the next few day. I have a fire break plowed around the log pile in the wildlife garden, I hope to get a chance to burn it.

Jennifer, the small tractors ( sub-compact) cost around $15,000.00 with a mower deck and loader. That is a little rich for my blood, plus a person needs to have a little land to justify one. I have 3 tractors, and I may not have a lot more than that tied up in them and all the equipment I have, plus several years of maintenance, but all of mine are junk, but do what I need done.

dbarron thanked Larry Peugh
  • OklaMoni

It's a mystery! How can

so many aphids today be all gone tomorrow?

well, not tomorrows picture, but the stalk next to it. It always works, that the cutting size okra has no aphids. AWESOME!

Actually, I hadn't seen any aphids earlier this week, but yesterday while getting okra, here they were. I just had to go in and get my camera.

dbarron thanked OklaMoni
  • Larry Peugh

Moni, that is awesome. I seemed to have less trouble with aphids this year also.

I have not done anything garden wise today, other than pick some Seminole pumpkins. I was out this morning with a coat and gloves picking pumpkins. These were in the wildlife garden, and only one plant survived the wildlife, out of two packs of seed. I also lost all the Halloween and big max pumpkins, abour 75 hills worth. Of the one plant that survived, I got between 25 and 30 Seminole pumpkins. I should have 35+ cornfield pumpkins to harvest, thanks to an electric fence. There will be more electric fence wire strung next year.

I need to move my sweet potato area, and about the only place I have left is the wildlife garden.

dbarron thanked Larry Peugh
  • dbarron

Then Larry, you need to stop sharing with the wildlife and let them fend for themselves. I would like to be generous, but not if it means that I get none.
    Of course, if you consider they did leave you one hill, maybe that's enough?

• OklaMoni

Larry, I had terrible trouble with squirrels and I am not sure what... anyhow, almost all my cantaloupes were sampled past the point where I would still eat them... and then the critters moved on to my butterneck squash.

I bought hardware cloth, and next year as soon as I find a blossom I will built a cage around it. Next year I intent to eat more of both of the above, and share with friendly people instead of thieves. :)

I picked okra for my lunch today. Not sure, how much longer I will get any.. but I will either eat or dehydrate the rest.

Moni.... about to go out and dig up another patch of Bermuda where I have been watering just to be able to.

dbarron thanked OklaMoni
  • Larry Peugh

Moni, squirrels and crows are the two hardest critters for me to deal with, and I have a lot of gray squirrels in the wildlife garden, but so far they have not eaten much of my produce. They did however eat all the giant sunflower seeds, but that is what I planted them for, of course I had the birds in mind, but the squirrels had other ideas.

I had about 12 tomato plants in the wildlife garden, these were just extra plants that I could not give away. I did not harvest off these plants, they were cherry and roma plants. I think that maybe the coons ate the fruit off those plants, could have been squirrels, or maybe both. I saw a lot of coon tracks, and every now and then squirrel tracks, but a squirrel is small and does not always leave a track.

dbarron, I have a lot of loss every year. The loss I gripe about the most is my tomato loss in the house gardens. I also took over a bushel of sweet potatoes out and dumped in the pasture for the cows to eat, the were damaged very badly by rats and gophers. I have scurf on my sweet potatoes, and I think it is time st start with new seed stock and a new location.

dbarron thanked Larry Peugh
  • Nancy Waggoner

Hi all. I haven't done anything in the gardens here this past week. Oops. When I saw the mention of garlic, I thought, "AHH. I need to get the garlic in," followed by the realization I have nowhere to put it. So out I went. I got the stray peppers and the monster watermelon plant out of that bed. Then decided to tidy up by removing squash plants and a few tomato plants. Got some watering done for container plants. Picked a few aji dulce peppers and Chile peppers, a few lingering tomatoes. I marveled at all the skipper butterflies on the salvia in the raised flower bed. There's not much left out there for the pollinators--the two enormous lantana, cosmos, the salvia. . . some variety of zinnia no one's all that a thrilled about.

Glenda. . . I made a note of your real name! And made a note of Vit. D3 to look up. Yep, I water bath can tomatoes. Speaking of green tomatoes, Amy, dbarron. I do like fried green tomatoes. (And I do like tomatoes that are really really tasty --to me, that'd be juicy and on the sweet side.). But three years ago, I made a bunch of "green tomato mincemeat." I think it's delicious, but I'm the only one who will eat it. (It was water bath canned, also.). I guess I'll break open a jar and see if it's still tasty.

We DO need rain. SAYS 80% chance tomorrow. The lake is down 3 feet now, so there will be no more fishing unless it comes up a foot.

Larry, I love all the room you have to play with! It made me think of a big blank canvas just waiting to be brought to life. I'm not big on greens, either. But I love butter crunch lettuce and spinach. I have Malabar out in one of the beds, and not crazy about it either. I pulled all the kale and look forward to having some more.

It is SO windy today, running 20-25 mph. Not a good day to water, but the containers desperately needed it. Kind of sad here today. Missing Dawn, of course. And they're having the annual chili cook-off at the marina today. We wouldn't dream of attending a big crowded event right now. But sad about the whole big darned pandemic deal. We did drive by and there were an insanely CRAZY number of people there. Or maybe jumble some of those words a bit. So in honor of chili cook-off day, we're having the good grocery store pizza tonight. I have no idea why that would work, but somehow it does.

I am so sorry you had another bout of vertigo, Amy--are you better today?

dbarron--I think you surprised us all with your pronouncement about cannas being edible. Well I have a big ole patch of them out back and may just jump into action tomorrow, just to say we did it. Googled them a little while ago.

Three months ago, we contemplated getting 1/4-1/2 beef. We called our meat shop and he advised us to wait 3 or 4 months. There was a sort of panic buying at that time. Since then, we've decided if we do buy a bunch, we'll just go with one of their various "bundles."

Jen, I am sorry about your "girl." WHAT do you think it was? So sad! But I perfectly get jumping right in with another one--he's a cutie. We did the same thing when my little Daffy cat died 3 years ago--she'd been with me 15 years. Garry cried, I did not. But it was very sad. I had told him a few days earlier, "You know, living out here, we really do need a cat." He agreed. So the day after Daffy died, Garry asked me if I wanted to go see if the vet had any kittens. I was astounded, but we went. And after thinking about it, went back the next day to pick up Tom and Jerry. YES--a new one right away DOES keep one busy and diverted.

HJ. So today's the big day. Hope it all goes beautifully!

Wednesday was a long long fishing day. Good, though. Thursday I worked hard at Lincoln with a new helper, a great 16-yr old young man. It was fun. John and helper and I pulled out all the sweet potatoes. Then because John and Suzanne had other stuff to do, helper and I picked all the okra, peppers, tomatoes. Then we began tearing out bad or dead-looking plants. Just generally kind of tidying up in places. And finally we sowed lots of frostweed and more milkweed. So a good productive day.

So that's where we've been the past few days.

dbarron thanked Nancy Waggoner
  • jlhart76

Nancy, we're not sure what exactly happened. But after doing some research I have a feeling she's had an underlying condition all along. When we got her, the shelter said she had come in with a litter that tested positive for parvo, but had all recovered. I didn't think anything of it then because they said she was cleared, but I read some articles that stated parvo can cause long term health complications. The vet really couldn't give a definite answer, other than to say they were 'pretty sure' it wasn't anything contagious. We'll never know exactly what happened.