Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenarscott

should I paint this fireplace?

Ken A
3 years ago

Hi
I recently just purchased a beach house. I am not sure about the fireplace bricks. The kitchen and living room are open to each other. The kitchen will be white cabinets and a lighter colored countertop. The walls are all currently being painted Benjamin Moore white dove.

The fireplace is 80 inches wide and goes from floor to ceiling bricks. Do you think I should paint the fireplace white? Will that give it a more Coastal feel? Was also thinking about a big chunky mantle but not sure what color the mantle should be?

The space on each side of the fireplace is somewhat limited. It is about 26 inches wide on each side. I was thinking I could put the television and place it on top of the mantle. Thoughts on this?

Thanks for any input and help!

Ken

Comments (11)

• calidesign
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Don't do anything to the brick! It looks like the best surface in your home currently. Paint your walls, and make your changes to the kitchen. Consider ending the countertop at your cabinets to give you a better flow. When everything else is white, the brick can be a nice contrast. Post more photos of your room so you can get help with furniture and tv placement.

Ken A thanked calidesign
  • Juli
    3 years ago

I'd certainly lime wash the brick and find an awesome chunk of driftwood on the beach with one side of it mostly level and use that for the mantel. I don't like TV's above fireplaces at all, if you did the two above mentioned things a TV there would take away all the ambience.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I would leave it. You don't have much going on right now.

Is there another place for the TV? A lower console would be better.

• Ken A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the input. The countertops are being replaced, and we did identify to remove the curve and make closer to the counter to open the pathway up.

I guess I can just keep a tv below like in the picture with a nicer cabinet, etc. It is an out of the way space that can't be used for much more. So will try that.

• Ken A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What about the fireplace doors? Would you leave the brass, or replace with maybe a free standing silver or black type?

• housegal200
    3 years ago

The brick adds texture and interest to the living room area and also separates the space, so leave the bricks as they are. Paint the brass black with special paint designed for heated metal. Find a beautiful seascape for above the fireplace. Add a driftwood live edge mantel and a basket of logs for the hearth.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

Leave it, but change or paint the fireplace grate. Find some metal paint and spray it black.

• njmomma
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Not a Pro.

I would not paint the brick, I love the contrast with the white.

What I would do is add a big beautiful piece of Coast art with lots of white in the background on that brick fireplace.

Looks like the living area is quite small, too help free up the tv corner I would put the tv on a arm up higher than it is now and free up the sliding glass door.

Change out firebox last.

Looking forward to seeing how you design this space. Keep this thread updated :-)

Some inspiration:

CorLiving Black Metal Full-Motion H-frame Wall Mount for 32" - 70" TVs · More Info

Greenwich Village Renovation · More Info

• njmomma
    3 years ago

Another option:

Osterville Legacy Style Custom Home · More Info

• Ken A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Would you paint the brass black or would it look better to do a free standing unit in black like these ?