Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

Looking to purchase some cuttings

Bill M.
3 years ago

It's the tail end of fall and the beginning of winter soon. Days have been dreary, to say the least. Sun seems to be at a premium and it's been raining now for three straight days. Had a couple of days with sun, but before that, another week of drizzle. I live in north east PA btw.

So, I'm getting antsy. I would like to be potting up some hoyas and just nurturing them through these days (I do have a grow light to augment the sun when it's taking a vacation). I'd love to get some hoya cuttings that have very interesting leaves, like latifolia, or highly fragrant ones like odorada, or just one or two that grow like weeds (relatively speaking as I know it's winter and hoyas are usually slow to begin with).

Since I can't bear to clip any of mine (I hate giving up plants but would rather just collect them) would anyone have any clippings they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable price? Most of the sites I frequent want either my house to be mortgaged or I'd need to take out a home equity loan to pay for a one node clipping! Prices due to availability and greed, and of course people willing to pay those prices, have led to this dearth of hoyas and their high cost.

thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Anyone?

Comments (8)

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 years ago

I know what you mean about the prices. Whew, it's nuts!

I don't have latifolia or odorata. Sorry. If I see any of those for a decent price, I will alert you!

I'm looking for sunrise cutting (amongst a few others!).

• moonwolf_gw
    3 years ago

I share your feelings, William. I'm in south central PA, so hey neighbor! But yes, the prices of cuttings and rooted plants are astounding and the demand is higher than the supply (cause and effect/economics 101 lol). I don't have any of the ones of which you seek, but I can give you some recommendations of other ones you may also enjoy (if you have some of these, yay!!!): motoskei (gorgeous leaves, I like it just a bit better than carnosa), multiflora ("Shooting Star Hoya", can be fragrant to some noses and it's a fast bloomer, but quite a water hog), lacunosa (powerful fragrance and easily found), pubicalyx (any variety, but my favorite is Red Buttons), obovata, and australis (both can grow like gangbusters).

Check on Etsy, sometimes you can find some goodies (and great deals) on there, too. FB (if you're on there) can be a good resource, as well. I got my Sunrise cutting from there.

I'm hunting for Rebecca, Mathilde (regular or splashy), Chouke (Mathilde's twin sister), loheri, and a larger cutting/starter plant of Rosita.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Moonwolf, I have all you mentioned except motoskei. I'm going through the drearies (bored, miserable weather, did I mention bored, no plants to nurture, oh, and bored). I'm looking to expand my collection but it's difficult to say the least. I'm also looking for interesting leaved varieties. Everything I've found I'd need a second mortgage for. Don't you love the auction sites?

Grower says "bidding starts at $10"

First bidder "$80"

Second bidder "$150"

and therein lies the problem....

Most, in fact all with the exception of carnosa, I purchased as single cuttings from the FB $10 and below site. I've grown them through the summer outside, where they've done well. Now inside they have slowed down considerably. Other than picking off the occasional mealy, there's nothing else to do.

None of the local stores carry anything. In fact, my local HD must collect every over watered plant across the US, and puts it up for display. The crunchy krinkly dead ones they send to Lowes! 🤣

The local nurseries are virtually shut down because of the draconian measure Wolf is imposing, so there's nothing there either. Did I mention being bored?

I guess the journey continues.

Best wishes to you and yours. Stay safe and stay well, and good plant hunting.... 😁

• moonwolf_gw
    3 years ago

Exactly. Or the auctioneers are PayPal only (and I don't use that). So it's Etsy and online nurseries for me (or cutting trades). I've had very few hits and a lot of misses at the Lowe's' and HD's near me over the years. Our Wal-Mart is of no help, either. I did find lacunosa there once (I think it was a Royal Flush or a Ruby Sue-I'd LOVE to get one of those again).

Ah yes, the winter blues. I think it's even more blue than usual this year with everything going on. And working a lot in the food service/restaurant industry doesn't help I know the boredom of which you speak. I have other hobbies, but I'd much rather be chasing my blues away in a elegant wrought iron and glass conservatory surrounded by Hoyas and other plants, repotting, watering, and propagating all the while. With the company of friends, as well.

Happy hunting to you, too :D

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Moonwolf, I like the part where you describe "in a elegant wrought iron and glass conservatory surrounded by Hoyas and other plants, repotting, watering, and propagating all the while". yup - that would be perfect. It's times like these that I envy those that live in a much more humid and warm environment, like Florida, but then in the summer when the temps reach in the high 90s with the same humidity, I'm glad I don't live down there.

I've been retired for many years now, and growing plants is a hobby of mine. I just love tending to them. They bring me a sense of calmness (except the mealies - I hate those little buggers!), They remind me of the jungle which I've spent a lot of time in. This time of the year I think is the worst of all since it has been a gloomy fall season, the political environment (on both sides of the issues) and the covid19 mandates.

Well, enough complaining - off to go clip some cuttings and propagate what I do have.

Stay well and stay safe....

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    3 years ago

William, I have odorata. I'd be happy to send you a cutting or two for the price of priority shipping, but the nights are getting pretty cold here so I'm not sure if that will be a problem.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Stupidlazydog - I'm willing to chance it. Odorata is one I'd love to have. If it's dropped off at a facility for shipment, I think it would be fine. How do you want to proceed? Just let me know, and thank you so very much, I really appreciate it.

Sponsored