Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

Question on Obovata and Kerrii

Bill M.
3 years ago

i have an Obovate I purchased several months ago. It's growing well, and sending up a very long, single vine, which is now beginning to get leaves on it. That being said, here's the question - every picture I've seen of obovata has beautiful dark green leaves, very compact and closely spaced. My obovata had dull light green leaves. They are spaced 4-5+ inches from each other. Why?

This plant was outside during the summer in bright diffused light, along with my other hoyas. Once it rooted, it started to grow. Now that I've brought it inside, it's still growing. It resides in a southern facing window , about 1 1/2 feet from it. In fact, there are other hoyas between it and the window (see the pics below). I live in eastern PA, and the sun isn't strong at this time of year. Even in summer, it's not too bad, but they're kept under diffused light anyhow.

Now I know my plant is probably boring, but why is he so dull too? I want this guy to shine. Not valedictorian shine but maybe high scoring student shine, but for some reason he's content to keep his head down and remain anonymous in the background.

Seriously though, are some obovata dull green? Is that just their nature, whereas others are shiny dark green? Blow are a couple pics of what I'm trying to describe.

Here's the vine on this guy - he goes up another 4-5"

Below are some Kerrii having the same issue - dull leaves. Good growth even now in winter, but just dull. The TD Post It has a solution to kill ants. It wipes out the entire colony.

Another shot

And finally showing the vine on kerrii - as you can see - it's a grower too! the other vine on the left is from a Krimson Queen while the tiny vines on the right are either from publicalyx or wayetii, both are continuing to grow. The exposure is southrn. There's also micans on top and another philodendron whose name I forgot at the moment.

Lastly - Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Stay safe and stay well....

Comments (31)

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The older more mature leaves on Obovata tend to have what I would describe as "matte finish" leaves. Not super shiny. Newer leaves will come in shiny. My nursery-owner friend has a huge old one in his greenhouse. A few months ago all the leaves looked light yellow. I though it was sort of weird like perhaps deficient. But when I was there the other day, he had moved it so it gets a little less light and now the leaves are darkening. This is it in August when it was in higher light.

I received a cutting of this gorgeous specimen last year and it didn't do anything for nearly a year. Then suddenly one day, it put out a new leaf in what seemed like over night. That leaf is pretty shiny ang got really big, bigger than all the existing leaves. Then suddenly all the old leaves started getting bigger too. It's an odd plant. Special for sure.

My kerii is the same way. Matte finish leaves.

3 years ago

Your other philodendron looks like not a philodendron at all but scindapsus pictus Argyraeus.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It most likely is, I forget their birth names and just call them by their first name. That one is Linda. 🤣

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Popmama, glad to hear the obovata will put out new shiny leaves. Yes, these are matte and they're older. I can't wait to get to see some shiny large new leaves.

I think in the spring I may try propagating him since he's only a single vine now. A long healthy strong Woody vine, but still only a single vine.

• Denise
    3 years ago

I don't think even new leaves look shiny on any of my obovatas. They start out rubbery and dark green, then as they age, the little sheen from them being rubbery morphs into thick, succulent, matte and lighter green leaves. I think you may be seeing the reflection of the flash making the leaves look shiny.

Denise in Omaha

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ahhh, sounds like your obovata comes from the same family tree mine does! 🤣

Mine never appear shiny. Dull light green matte looking is all I get. It can't be nutrient deficiency since they're fed each month. Guess it's just their nature.

3 years ago

Here's a picture of my cutting from that big mama plant. I was trying to show the woody stem so the actual shiny leaf isn't centered in this photo. But you can see the newest leaf at the top. It's shiny.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like that. I have some super tiny leaves beginning to sprout now, but the rate at which this plant grows, especially now in the winter, I may have to wait a while until it gets like yours. I'll continue to nurture it so hopefully by spring it'll start filling out.

Your plant looks great!

3 years ago

When it put out that new leaf, I swear it happened like overnight. It was really weird how fast it grew. I think it's a mutant. Hah. And then the other old leaves started expanding. Very weird.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Can ya tell we've been under house arrest for far too long when we get excited about a single new leaf? 🤣😅👍

3 years ago

Bill, funny you should say that. Today I noticed that it's getting a new leaf, so I took this picture at a different angle. Now I can show how long it actually takes to develop.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I understand you perfectly!

Remember when I said miracle grow plant food? I use typically epiphyte's delight, but look! I do use miracle grow too! In fact I gave them a 1/4 teaspoon of this, along with 4 drops of super thrive, in a gallon of rainwater I collected. I use rain water on all my plants, which I collect from two small garbage barrels I have set up outside.

I'm curious to see how long it takes for that leaf to develop. Keep those pictures coming!

3 years ago

One week later. The little leaf has more than doubled in size. I moved the stake to the other side of the plant because it looked like it might block the leaf.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Your baby is growing up!

3 years ago

One more week and I almost couldn't tell which leaf was the new one!

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I showed your pictures to my plant. He's mum on comments! 🤣

Look'n great. Keep updating us (I want to shame my guy into doing something finally!)

3 years ago

I feel like this one comes from good stock. So that helps. Not all my hoyas have such great growth. I have a mathilde that hasn't grown a single leaf since I've had it.

• Gina
    3 years ago

I'm very new to Hoyas but got a two leaf Kerrii from a local nursery a few weeks ago and it has lightened in color significantly under my grow lights to a color just like yours.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Welcome aboard Gina. You need to be careful as hoyas can become extremely addictive very quickly! 🤣

Give your kerrii good light, as you're doing, but don't burn it. Make sure it isn't too close. They lightnhigh light and/or some dappled sunlight, but not direct sun. This all depends where you live however. If you're in a northern hemisphere in winter, that's different than in a tropical region. Your plant will tell you if it's too muck or too little.

Watering depends on the soil. Chunky well draining, which they like, will dry quicker, so you can water slightly more often. Never let them soak in water or stay wet for days as you'll lose it due to root rot.

Read as much as you can, there are lots of good videos too, and you'll be fine.

Welcome again to a great hobby, and all the best to you.

• Gina
    3 years ago

Thank you Bill!

I would probably have a house full by now, if they weren't so pricey! But the hunt is half of the fun anyways :)

I'm eager to learn all of the tips for them to thrive, and this forum seems full of helpful information!

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You're spot on concerning price. It's become obscene with what people are charging. Unfortunately, others are willing to pay it which drives the greed even higher.

There are bargains to be found however, we just need to keep looking.

The quest continues.....

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    3 years ago

Beautiful plants all!

Will any of you have an issue once they get too big to fit an area where they need room to grow? I am almost getting rid of many of my too large Hoya as much as I like them. Just have room for smaller compact ones and maybe a couple of larger ones.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What large ones do you have Mike? If be interested in purchasing some from you if you're interested and I don't have that type.

Plants for me can never get too big!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    3 years ago

Bill, I will have to take a couple pics for you. No charge if you should want a few cuttings come spring)

• chuy415
    3 years ago

Mike.. i'd love to hop on the wagon with Bill as well if you'd like to share any cuttings and i'd gladly pay for shipping once Spring comes :)

Plants for me are never enough.. the more the merrier :)

Chuy

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I appreciate that. I would of course pay for shipping and your efforts as well. Thank you.

3 years ago

Hoyas that are too big? Nonsense!

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What popmama said!

Blasphemy!

• Russ1023 (central Fla)
    3 years ago

Me too Mike, I'd also be interested in cuttings. Be glad to trade if I have any you want. I can send you my list. Everyone, always looking for a trade.

Russ

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    3 years ago

Ha, so many Hoya lovers here.

I had three huge ones in my growing room that I almost had no where to sit. So I gave two away...I think it's a Royal Blush something like that and one other. I think one here would know if I posted pics of the leaves, right?

You all have to remind me come spring ok, my short memory is so bad for my yougin age. lol

Sponsored