Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose1718

asymmetrical fireplace

rose1718
3 years ago

This wall is completely stumping me. I’m open to changing wall colour. The empty space to the right will hold a bookshelf, carpenter is coming next week to get an idea of what I want. We’ve purchased a mantle for the fireplace surround, I’ll attach a picture. I was thinking maybe a large piece of art on the left? Or a gallery? And perhaps painting this wall dark? The rest of the room will be white. Will be purchasing new furniture for this room so I’m pretty flexible. The tv is going on a different wall.

Comments (11)

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

What about a cutout with wood logs in it? I think it will be hard to balance the built ins with art. There needs to be something that looks intentional and proportionate

• rose1718
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Unfortunately there’s no way to do a cut out on the left side

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Is it possible to place a comfy reading chair and floor lamp along that wall? I'm thinking that might be a nice, cozy place to sit, so close to the fireplace and bookshelves -- as long as it didn't impede traffic flow, of course.

• ilikefriday
    3 years ago

Is it possible for you to take a photo of the wall while standing in front of the fireplace instead of to the side?

• tedbixby
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Will the built-in and mantle be painted or stained? And are you using tile around the fireplace inside the surround? Rather than emphasize the entire wall with dark paint maybe something like this with the fireplace - tall mirror and different paint color only with the fireplace so it puts the focal point on the fireplace and not the entire wall.

17 Peartree Lane NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 - MLS# 20027977 | Estately · More Info

• rose1718
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I haven’t decided painted or stained. I was leaning towards stained. I like the idea of only emphasizing the fireplace. Definitely tile inside surround, just haven’t decided what yet. Thank you for the picture.

I’ll try to get a better picture today with no angles. Hard because scaffolding is in my way still.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Focus on figuring out the fireplace 1st and then the built-in. Focusing on the fireplace 1st will help you decide whether you want the built-in to disappear by painting it or making it more of a statement (stain). After you make your decisions you may find you can wait until your furniture is in place to determine if you need to do something on the left side and if the focus is on the fireplace is enough a nice bench to the left may be all you need if anything at all.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Based on your photos, just wondering if the built-in will serve any real purpose? Would it make more sense to extend the wall over that soon to be built-in area and give you more fireplace wall space to work with. Then you can make the fireplace more intentional on that wall as right now there isn't much room between the edge of the fireplace and the opening of the wall on the right side. And if you did this, you could extend the fireplace more into the left side. Beef it up.

Parade of Homes 2013 · More Info

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Another idea by doing a wall treatment and doing the fireplace in a different material and color.

Bluestone Manor House · More Info

• rose1718
    Original Author
    3 years ago

These are all great ideas thank you. I definitely want the built in for books. That’s a good idea to wait, I’m just stressing because it’s such a weird design. But maybe waiting and seeing furniture in the space will help.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio