gw_oakley

Bumblebeez, your room!

Oakley

I'm fascinated with your room in the Christmas tree thread. Do you have more pictures you can show us? What type of room is this?

• Trailrunner D

@Tina Marie the drop

leaf seats 4. We used it as our only table for our family for many years. It’s been all over my previous houses and used as extra dining space many times. At our home in Alabama we had it between our 2 chairs also in front of a fireplace. We had many small dinners there in the winter through the years we lived there. There isn’t any good place at present in this much smaller home. I’ll give it some more thought though. Thank you!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

The bench is one solid piece and the insert panels are ones I added and it's just upholstery fabric. I padded boards then covered with fabric and screwed them in. I bought the bench in western NC at a pawn shop. The quilt is from Spiegel years ago when they were the thing and the pillows are PB. The round table I bought from a friend and her husband bought it in Mexico. It has a gorgeous wormwood top.

The whiskey barrel is very heavy and stored in the garage and transported on a dolly.

The black/brown pot is a WW2 Japanese water jug.

• Trailrunner D

Love everything! Is the fireplace two sided? So the arched doorway goes to the DR and the sun porch? Is your porch a 4 season or just screened. Beautiful views. Your home is a warm and comfortable space. Thank you for sharing a bit of it. I remember years ago you told about the bench and your upholstery project. c

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

The fireplace is two sided and not particularly cohesive in style but I didn't know what I was doing when the house was built! The porch is off the living room and is a screened porch, but it's relatively mild here and I use it all year.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I like sedums too, trail!

I normally don't have the table so crowded but I brought in the terracotta one a few days ago. We finally had a hard frost.

• Allison0704

Everything is so pretty, Bumble. Very inviting and comfortable.

• aktillery9

Wow! Bumble, your room is stunning. It is so charming and unique. I would never leave that room!

• maire_cate

Thank you Oakley for asking about Bumble's room. The photos are wonderful, such a warm, inviting space. The hydrangeas are perfect on your tree too.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

It's so amazing that anyone would be interested in my collection of stuff over the years but thank you for your interest and appreciation!

I love the bond that we all share with wanting to create beautiful spaces.

• Sueb20

I love “collections of stuff”! Very cozy and warm space, BB. Love all the pottery pieces and the plants (and the giant pine cones!).

• Ocotillo

I adore your plates! Where did you find them?

You have such a lovely style. Refined, yet a bit on the rustic side, perhaps? Your rooms look to me like those of one who is well-traveled and has taken the time to carefully curate a collected look. It's so warm, interesting, and inviting.

• smalloldhouse_gw

Wow, your home is just gorgeous. Every element works so well together.

Can I ask about how your porch impacts the light to your living room? We're installing French doors along the back wall of our living room, and now I'm considering adding a screened-in porch but have concerns about darkening the space. Do you have skylights?

• Jinx

Oakley, so glad you started this thread!

Bumblebeez, your home is so, so beautiful, warm, gracious, inviting ... and I enjoy hearing the stories behind your treasures. I just love your style.

• rubyclaire

Lovely home - thanks for sharing so much of it with us!

• Tina Marie

It’s beautiful Bumble! I think most of us probably have our collections 😀

• Trailrunner D

@smalloldhouse_gw I'll answer also about adding a porch and the light. We added the large screened porch off the back of the house this past year. It has been wonderful and the light hasn't been impacted because we did put two skylights in the ceiling of the porch. We also left the window from the DR into the porch and their is another East facing window in the DR. Altogether it makes wonderful lighting.

I love @Bumblebeez SC Zone 7 porch !! I wish we could use ours all year but when it's as cold as it is right now it's not comfortable but I still enjoy it being there and the light. c

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Smalloldhouse, i have two skylights in the living room, they make a huge difference.

Octillo, I bought the animal plates a year ago at Tuesday morning, 4 different animals. They have been popular with my family!

• Arapaho-Rd

Beautifully decorated {{home}} Thank you for sharing, Bumble.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Eventually I'll post the coat tree and stump, which is still curing so I can't sand or stain yet, but it's fully in use.

And I plan on replacing the peacock round rug with a large cowhide one of these days.

• gsciencechick

Wowza, I love your room, Bumblebeez!

• Sheeisback_GW

Your home is beautiful Bumble! I was also wondering about your coat tree!

• hcbm

Your home is beautiful. It looks warm and welcoming.

• lizbeth-gardener

I love your style-it feels very warm and welcoming. And I enjoy hearing the interesting stories about each piece. I would like to know more about your dining table.

ETA:^^^^great minds!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Sumner Pottery Barn dining room table.

• Tina Marie

@smalloldhouse_gw we have a sunroom off our dining room. It is heated/cooled. It's like a den for us - having regular furniture. The room is all windows and glass door. However, our windows will "slide" so that we can use it like a screened room if we like. Honestly, we don't do that much because we have a nice outdoor area just outside the sunroom with a pergola that has a shade top. Here in TN we do have some cold spells, so we wouldn't use a screened porch 12 months of the year. We use our sun room every. single. day. I guess with all the windows and the way the house lays, it doesn't block light coming into the house. We don't have any big trees right up close to that part of the house, so that probably helps too.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Tina the few times I've been to Tennessee I thought I was going to freeze to death. So much colder than it is here!

• smalloldhouse_gw

Thanks @Bumblebeez SC Zone 7 @Trailrunner D @Tina Marie for your advice and I'm so sorry for hijacking this post about your beautiful home! I got thinking about a porch while we were already mid-reno and the contractor was advising me to cut the skylights to save some money. But your comments and @Trailrunner D's images have persuaded me otherwise. I'm in DC so it will get used often but not all year round. Still seems worth it, especially since our place is so small.

• Trailrunner D

@smalloldhouse_gw

We have never made a remodeling decision as important to the comfort of our home as this screened porch. We are out there all the time if it’s the least bit warm enough. All through this past Spring, Summer and Fall we spent more than half our day out there and with the French doors open to it as we dined in the adjacent DR. Everyone including our GC said it simply “ makes” the house.

Make sure you go as big as possible. We have plenty of room for seating but not for also dining. We could have gone bigger but DH hesitated and now says he was wrong. So measure and measure and be generous. Also do a shed roof or vaulted ceiling as again it makes the room so much airier. And a fan for sure. Plenty of outlets as well as lamps are SO much better than overhead lighting.

• Tina Marie

I agree, the sunroom was one of our best decisions when building our home.

That's funny Bumble. I assumed our temps were similar. We usually have a short period of really cold weather. Usually nice weather from late March through late fall/early winter. We are cold earlier this year, but looks like a warm-up in the next few weeks. For many years we camped the weekend following Thanksgiving, even getting out on the water. And of course, our summers are usually hot and humid! But we love it here. I cannot give up our mountain view. :)

• Oakley

I'm definitely glad I did this topic. There was a little feeling more was in that house I wanted to see. lol

What makes the house feel so comfortable is the accessorizing, which includes furniture. IMO, it's one of the most important things in decorating, and I'm lousy at it.

I'm going to go ask DH if we can have a sunporch. ;)

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24

Yay for you, oak, and biggest yay to you, bumble, for sharing what is a warm, beautifully thought out home.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Thank you all for your very kind words and encouragement that I deeply value and it's so nice to have home, for me my sanctuary, appreciated.

• Trailrunner D

@Bumblebeez SC Zone 7 where did you get the pillows on the DR chairs ? I need something and I don't want the usual flat shaped things I see when I google DR chair cushions. I want something that looks more unstructured like a soft pillow...hope that makes sense. TIA c

• Trailrunner D

@Tina Marie because of you and your comment about the gateleg table. It now resides in front of the fireplace between the two chairs and we are having our evening music and talk and glass of wine time here. Thank you . c

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Trail runner they are actually pillows from a sofa that a nap on so I took all the pillows off as there's not enough room for me and the dogs.

I really think you could use any kind of pillow that fits, I wouldn't look for a dining room chair pillow.

• Trailrunner D

Thank you. I think I need to be able to take a good bit of stuffing out. I’ll check around.

• blfenton

What a warm and comfy home you have Bumblebeez. Thank-you so much for sharing pictures and information. I feel like I was invited into your home for a visit.

• Tina Marie

@ Trailrunner D I am so happy! It looks great there. Seems like you have a love of antiques too. I love the chest beside the fireplace with the carved handles/pulls.

• Trailrunner D

@Tina Marie that was a chest my dad found at an auction when I was a little girl. It is supposed to have a mirror on it we think because there is a hole at the back edge of the top. It has porcelain wheels . I love it ❤️

• Peppapoodle

Your home is just beautiful! Reminds me of a collected English country home. I could easily make myself at home there!

• jmck_nc

So glad I decided to look at this thread. Beautiful home Bumblebeez!

• Peppapoodle

And Trailrunner, your gate leg table looks great in that scrumptious eggplant room- the colors, yum w the rug ❤️

• lizzie_grow

Bumble...I loved looking at the photos of your beautiful inviting home. Thank you! And Trail, I never tired of getting a glimpse of your beautiful living room with that deep wall color & your unique gorgeous sofa!