Software
Houzz Logo Print
lindsay_drake96

exterior colour/design help

5 years ago

Hello internet strangers, I’m looking for some good advice about what to do with the exterior of our home. We’ve just moved in and it’s definitely in need of some TLC. We’re up to the challenge! Hoping for (hopefully professional??) advice on:

  1. Whether to try to change the colour on the giraffe rock - either with a treatment or just paint.
  2. Colour suggestions for paint. We’ve waffled hither and thither on what to do - light or dark, but we live in a very grey area so I think we’re looking for something on the lighter side. These photos are brightened - the house is very dark right now. I love white, but there’s so much orange in the rock in its current state so not sure that’s the best plan??
  3. Soffit advice. I will post a photo of our extremely prominent car port - lots of ceiling is exposed and originally we were thinking that we’d do a nice wood stain but now we’re wondering if white would be better?
  4. Windows. What colour windows should we do?
  5. Doors - we need to change these, right? I love MCM style things but not sure it would really work with this 70s exterior...thinking something with glass to let more light in.

Comments (25)

  • 5 years ago

    And here is the tragic side of our home. Help is very much appreciated

  • 5 years ago

    crickets

  • 5 years ago

    Bumping this for you. However, I think you have a lot of potential here.

    I would change the front doors. They seem so dark and forbidding to me. Of course, I have to say, I prefer lots of light coming in to my house, so I would do something mostly or fully glass. The car port seems to dwarf the house. Is it original or was it added/built larger later? I think I would try to make it less imposing if possible. Do you really need it?

    I hope some of those here who are much more talented than I will chime in for you!

    Looks like a fabulous lot, too!

  • 5 years ago

    I'm not offended by the rock; I rather like its manly texture and don't see much orange on my monitor. The offenders right now are the shrubbery, the lattice, the carport ceiling and soffits. I think you should consider cedar to replace the ceiling ,soffits and the gable above the stucco. It is a very popular color right now and will compliment the stone nicely. Try black or bronze windows. Is the drive asphalt? There's a lot of it. I'd rather hide the carport with better landscape materials.


    Cedar Projects · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    Oh, and I was wondering about a sage paint color-earthy and natural, but lighter. Agree on bronze windows and cedar if you can, but you would probably need to use it everywhere (whole carport) to avoid too many different materials (like a banan split with loads of different toppings-overwhelming and way too busy). If you do use cedar above the stucco, I think you will need to paint the stucco a warmer color. Cutting down on the amount of asphalt and adding plants is also a wonderful idea and that really isn't such a huge job.

  • 5 years ago

    Nice home. Like the look of the double front doors but do they leak cold air? If you change them, you might want to consider a single wide door with two sidelights. But, then, there is a second door very close to it at a right angle to it -- the one opening toward/ into the carport.

    Before you change any windows or doors, consider whether you might want to alter your entry. Post a floor plan of the house, including showing these doors that are so close together and you might get some suggestions for changes.

    Not sure that you would have the option to do so but you may be able to add an "L" shaped front entry with one door from the entry opening to stairs aimed at the back yard not visible with (competing with) your actual front door, but it might be something to consider ... and could even be a better idea since you are considering changing doors anyway.

    Changing the windows and/or doors in the winter is not a good idea. Better to make plans now but wait until spring to actually change them. Also, living in a home a while before making any major changes is usually a good idea.

    If you need to do something to the windows (such as if they are single pane windows) that feel cold to the touch, a temporary (one winter) solution could be plastic inside the windows intended for that purpose.

    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Brand-10-Pack-Clear-Plastic-Shrink-Film-Window-Insulation-Kit-62-in-x-420-in/17133826?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227016740459&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40872617312&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-78765400352&wl5=9011023&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=17133826&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_pe13ozU7QIVAoiGCh3aEAzdEAQYAiABEgJVNPD_BwE


  • 5 years ago

    Colors:

    Painting in freezing weather usually doesn't work well either. Also, it would be better to know ALL the changes you are planning to make before deciding on any wood finish or color choices so you can coordinate them.

    Easiest change from the dark brown/black is to paint all painted exterior siding and fascia and soffit and gutter/downspout surfaces the same color ... such as a white (or another color from the stone that you like).

    Are the boards in the carport ceiling just discolored or are they damaged/rotten in any place? If they're not rotted, It might be that they could be washed and stained or painted rather than changed.


  • 5 years ago

    Windows

    Are you changing ALL the windows in the house or just those in these pics? Changing the window size with the rock exterior will be more costly than changing the left side/end windows.

    Left wall:

    IF the siding on that left wall holds moisture, or there are unidentified moisture issues on that end of the house, then you might want to consider removing all that off this spring and add a board or board look siding, doing the same on the back of the house or any exterior wall that has that same siding.

    As to the left side/end of the house what rooms are behind that wall?

    What is the view from the window? Do you want larger windows there or a patio door?

    Is your lot large enough (and building codes agreeable) to add a deck with patio door access, then changing the siding on that end to wood or wood look siding (and the have a deck the same wood finish)?


  • 5 years ago

    Landscaping:

    Like the shrubs but would trim them to all be the same height and below window height.

    Would create a paved parking space to the right of the carport enabling you to use either the carport or the extra space for an outdoor seating area and/or have more turn around room for yourself and/or visitors. If you can add a wide place in the driveway to enable one car to park/pass as well, that would be a good idea. Then you could outline the driveway with some low growing plant (such as liriope, if that grows well in your planting area.

    Is there a usable basement to this house or is there just a tall crawlspace?

  • 5 years ago

    Just a thought :

    Are you open to adding a front porch that wraps around the corner and connects the front entry door with the side/carport door?


    https://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/porch/porch/porch-additions-remodels/?slide=slide_7938e2cc-6f1e-489e-8ae3-8bd054e6becc#slide_7938e2cc-6f1e-489e-8ae3-8bd054e6becc

  • 5 years ago

    I would prefer a lighter paint color on the eaves and underneath the carport.

    The face of the house to the left of the door is nearly hidden with shrubbery. I think they are Rhododendrons, which I love, but they are crowding the wall and entrance.

    The entrance is more attractive without pots on each step.

    I'd use white or bronze for the windows.

    You could remove a bit of asphalt to have a deeper bed on the left side.

    If you keep those doors I think a much lighter shade would be an improvement.

    I removed color so you would not be distracted.

    What sort of doors do you desire?



  • 5 years ago

    What geographic area are you in, roughly? Snow or no snow?


    Your shrubs and trees that are touching the house need pruning when it's the right time of year. Once the pruning has been done, the house will be lighter inside and out. For painter access, you need a foot between the greenery and the house.


    Even if it's not the best time of the year for major pruning, you could still clip off a few foot-long branches along the staircase to make it much less crowded. Move the ceramic pots to a sheltered area somewhere else for the winter.


    Paint color for the trim should be light warmbeige if you want to brighten it all up. Choose a light color rock, then use a much lighter paint shade in the same color family. it looks water staining under the eaves. Check your gutters to see if they need to be replaced. The underside of the carport could be nearly white while the outside wood of the carport could match one of the lightest rocks.


    Please post an update when you are ready.

  • 5 years ago

    Had you considered adding a skylight over the front entry roof area? I'd personnaly change the color in the carport area to something lighter/ brighter (cream or blue, either of which would work with the orange tones). If you're in a cold zone, more glass in your front door may admit more cold to your entryway.

    Blus, bright yellow, gold t oned oranges may all work with your homes color. I'd add potted plants along the right hand side of the drive, as it approaches the carport.

    Given the overhang on your home, I'd choose a lighter window color (sand?) that better draws the viewers' eye.

    On the side, add a well secured trellis and climbing hydrangea, clematis, or climbing rose.

    While your front plantings are "earthy", they appear too tall and dark. Can you plant something lower/brighter and with more breathing space between them?

    I'm not a fan of plants against a house as they invite insects and algae.

    Your soffits appear to need venting, unless it's not showing on my monitor. Eventually, I'd change downspoutsout to a lighter color, as well.

  • 5 years ago

    So many helpful tips! Thank you so much!!!

    1. @cyn427 definitely agree about the front doors. I am also a huge natural light fan. This spring we’re hoping to either sand the doors down to a natural, lighter colour or replace them entirely. Likely with something with glass.
      https://www.pella.com/ideas/doors/entry-doors/wood/glass/
      The current 70s doors have textured orange glass which is not our taste, so they’ll have to be dealt with at some point, but i think the windows are a more urgent issue so we’re hoping to kick that can a little further down the road. The carport is out of control too, but I don’t think we’ll touch it...for now. Once we’ve resolved whatever moisture issues there are and have the ceiling looking better I think it will be a major improvement for the whole picture!
    2. @decoenthusiaste you’ve just identified the biggest offenders, yes! We’ve already removed the lattice and we have plans to pretty much rip out the current rhododendrons and other plants that we don’t really like. I’m thinking something low, cool and year round easy plants, like some grasses.
      https://www.bhg.com/gardening/flowers/perennials/ways-to-use-ornamental-grasses-in-your-landscape/?
      Unfortunately I don’t know the names of many plants, but I want to basically start completely over in our front yard!
      Cedar is exactly what we’re hoping for for the ceiling too. I feel like it will take the carport from being an eyesore to a bit of a supporting character. Here’s hoping!
  • 5 years ago

    Does your roof have mildew? What’s its condition? If it’s spongy, that is one of your very first priorities.

    Maybe what I’m seeing is a reflection of the trees overhanging the roof? They need cut back so dampness is not retained in the shingles.

  • 5 years ago

    Low plants? Will liriope thrive in your planting zone? They are great, especially for outlining a path, sidewalk or driveway or helping define a planting area. A local landscaper might remove the shrubs you don't want for the shrubs IF they have a market for them. You'd likely need a few bags of topsoil to replace the size of the root ball kept with the shrubs.


    Another idea might b e for you to move the shrubs along your property line to define it or between the house and sides and side property lines at either front and/or back corner to separate and define the front yard apart from the side/back yard and yield privacy,.

  • 5 years ago

    Fantastic idea, moving the rhodos (etc) @suezbell! We definitely need more between our house and the neighbours’ and this would be a great green, money saving solution. Thank you!
    I’m in the pacific NW so I will look into what plants will thrive and stay alive here.
    @littlebug there are a LOT of tress that are overgrown and we have an arborist booked to come this week, I believe. Our roof is only about 7 years old, but the re-do of this is also going to hinge heavily on the paint colour we select.
    @ceilsan32, there are definite issues with the venting. My husband has been up in the attic space and has noted that the insulation has been shoved out right to the edge of the roof line, limiting the venting. It’s all wet and it’s a mess. We are really hoping the planks can be salvaged (if it EVER stops raining here!!!) so that we can stain them a nice light oak-ish colour. The entire frontage needs definite lightening up and we are eager to get down to business. Sand is an interesting colour that I hadn’t considered - this could be perfect!
    @emmarene9 I’ve moved the pots - you were definitely right about that! I sort of just plopped them down as soon as we moved in and promptly forgot about them while I focused on the inside of our home. I’ll post a more recent photo if the weather improves at all tomorrow.
    I have also proposed putting grass and a foot path in front of the rocks! I wish I could post my vision but I’m not too savvy with any photo software. I envision low plants under the front windows, grass in front of that flower/plant bed, larger plants down the side and at the moment I’m thinking a grey-ish putty colour for the house would likely be best. I’m wondering if a charcoal would work for gutters and fascia? Sand windows? I feel like white might be too harsh. I’m also hoping to sand the doors down this spring to expose the natural colour of the wood, but eventually we’d like to have something with glass.

    Has anyone ever done a light spray over rocks to bring the tones closer together and tone down any harsh (orange) tones?? This is another thing we’re considering...

    I really appreciate all the ideas! I’ll post our progress thus far as soon as the weather isn’t so gross and soppy.

  • 5 years ago

    I actually really like your double doors. I think you could sand them and paint them, and have the orange glass replaced with clear glass. Much cheaper than new doors.

  • 5 years ago

    I had an epiphany! My vision is to rip off the top half or 2/3 of the rock and put vertical siding in its place, make everything white (posts, siding, gutters....windows?), do a nice wide light wood door with glass and side panes and do the lightest wood on the soffits possible (hoping to sand and stain, not replace).
    We will probably have less time with this roof than we think - it’s only like 7 years old but it is very mossy. I will attach a couple pictures for what I see doing for the front garden bed and where I’m getting the house inspiration. Any input is very welcome!

  • 5 years ago

    If the stone colour is really that bothersome to you, a less costly approach would be to soften it off with a limewash finish. That way you still enjoy the benefit of the textured surface (which I think appropriate to your setting) whilst neutralising the colour to some degree.


    Buckhead Manor · More Info

    Romabio is a breathable mineral product and can be used for both interior and exterior.

    if you are on Instagram- see their before and after projects for inspiration.

  • 5 years ago

    I will definitely look into this - thank you @marylee!

  • 5 years ago

    Here we are today! Finally some sun, a new gate (on the left), no more lattice (but bins in their place, because, life), pots off steps, slightly cleaner massive driveway...

  • 5 years ago

    Well....here’s a progress picture! We decided to remove the giraffe rock and I must say: even stripped down to the wood and screening materials, it was an improvement! We’ve put up cedar vertical siding that is pre-primed. We are thinking of going with a white paint.
    The work to sand our soffits has also begun. The stain we use on the soffits will depend on how much of the water/moisture discolouration comes out. I am hoping for a nice natural oak colour but it will likely have to be something darker or a less translucent white. I want maximum brightness, so to me white is more appealing than anything dark.
    What do you think so far??

  • 5 years ago

    That's a big change. Once it's all primed in white, especially the carport, you'll be able to see what a final white paint would look like. If the remaining shrubs can be moved, you'll have a clean slate for some low perennials next to the house.