Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Daylilies With Stippling, Streaks or Stripes 2020

shive
3 years ago

Post your photos of daylilies with intentional spots or streaks here. I used to have a couple of stippled ones, but I don't have them any more. The streaked and striped ones like Pink Stripes and Explosion in the Paint Factory have their fans, but I'm not one of them. I know Kay has some of these. I'm not sure if the rest of us do.

Debra

Comments (10)

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    3 years ago

We don't have any spotted daylilies. We have one stippled one and two striped ones.

Explosion in the Paint Factory is one everyone is familiar with.

Pink Stripes is another well-known striped one.

We are supposed to have another striped one, Augie's Unique Beauty. It has not done well for us (in fact, it almost died) and when it produced its one flower this past season, it was plain yellow. I read that Augie's Unique Beauty will revert to all yellow. I guess we will have to buy it again to get the striped one.

The only stippled one we have is Dappled Dynamo. It is well named because it keeps on blooming (it's a bud builder). It's a small flower, nothing amazing but it keeps blooming late in the season.

We do have one striped seedling. It is Iwanna Piranha X Horsing Around. We wish there was greater contrast between the two colors.

That's all I have.

Nancy

• celeste/NH
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

None for me but I did take pictures of a couple of them that I saw in a daylily friend's garden. I don't collect them but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and daylilies provide enchantment for all of us, in all their different charms.

WACKY WEDNESDAY

EXPLOSION IN THE PAINT FACTORY

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Celeste and Hoosier Nan - Thanks for sharing your photos. One of the stippled ones I used to grow was Lambertson's Stippled Stars. It's been gone about five years.

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

As Celeste said, not a collector of these but no judging on people who do!!! For me, these just always look like something is “wrong” with the bloom!!

Explosion in the Paint Factory-compliments of Kay who does enjoy and embrace the different!

Stippled Stardust that has the word “stippled” several times in its description but always looks like this in my garden.

• celeste/NH
    3 years ago

Kate, Stippled Stardust is lovely, stippling not necessary!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Debra, your schedule included spotted daylilies in this category. I’ve been waiting to post my only spotted daylily, so I’m going to be a rebel and add it.

I also am not a fan of striped daylilies, to me they look too much like the splotchy ones we see at times.

Upgrade is a wonderful performer in my garden.

Sherry

• woodnative
    3 years ago

My favorite category! I like the tet striped. I only purchased one, 'Explosion in the Paint Factory'.

And here is a seedling from it that just bloomed this year. Similar color but a fuller flower.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    3 years ago

Woodnative, I like your seedling! The full-formed flower with the contrast in the colors makes it a winner. I hope it can be registered.

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sherry - You're not rebelling. The first sentence in the intro thread calls them spotted daylilies. I love Upgrade!

Debra

• Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

I don't have much in this category, not my favorite, although I might get Explosion in the Paint Factory sometime, I do rather like that one. I have a couple I would post, but Houzz just rolls when I tried to post a few minutes ago