Software
Houzz Logo Print
nlwilcox

need help with rug and lamp selections

5 years ago

New sectional in Family Room but need help on area rug (warm off white or grays?) and lamp at end of sofa and behind rocker in reading nook area. Getting new rocker in a contrasting gray or leather. Any ideas/photos would be great.

Comments (40)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Here are some suggestions for the lamp behind the rocker:

    Glenn Gissler Design · More Info


    Bay Front Cottage · More Info


    And here's for the side lamp:

    Transitional Living Room in Frisco, TX · More Info



  • 5 years ago

    Thanks, the first floor lamp is great - unique.

  • 5 years ago

    What size is your current rug? And how long is the couch?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago



    Other suggestions of warm rugs


    Here

  • 5 years ago

    Current rug is about 6'5" X 8' 10"

    Sectional sofa's length is about 10 ft. including arm and the width is about 7 ft.

    I have front legs of both parts of sectional on the rug now.

    I like it that way or would be OK with entire sofa on an area rug if not too expensive.

    Thanks.

  • 5 years ago

    Maybe 7' X 10' would be good. Off white might show too much dirt?

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Yes, you can put your entire sofa on the rug if you have the larger one! It works both ways!

    Placing the whole sectional:


    Or only front legs:


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    TBH, it looks to me like an itty-bitty rug is shoved way too far under the sofa and needs to be pulled out a bit. Is it only the front legs on the regular non-chaise section that is on the rug, or is it further under it than that? Sorry, but something looks odd about it - I think you definitely need a larger rug. You could get a larger not-so-expensive neutral (maybe sisal?) to layer underneath the one you have, but would still need current rug to come out further when placed on top of larger rug.

    Pottery Barn Blog Feature · More Info


    W Boston · More Info


    Hancock Park English Tudor · More Info


    Madison Park Mid-Century Modern · More Info


    Hillsborough Transitional · More Info


    Wilton Whole Home Renovation · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    You are right, it is odd. We pushed it back when delivery people set up sectional a few weeks ago. Just front legs of both sections on the rug. Will get a larger one but want different colors yet subtle. This has brown not gray. Maybe something charcoal and cream or with burgundy? I like the distressed look.

  • 5 years ago

    Grayish tweedy look sectional

  • 5 years ago

    I am not very good at picking out rugs. This is in my living room which is a little dark and decorator (not Houzz!) told me it sucks the light out of room altho pretty colors. I guess she meant no need to to make a statement with your rug!

  • 5 years ago

    Here it is

  • 5 years ago

    Oh well. It cost quite a bit so I will stick with less expensive neutrals!

  • 5 years ago

    This is another rug suggestion, I like it for your room because it has both warm and cool tones. The price is great, too.

    https://esalerugs.com/silver-9x12-heritage-area-rug-33132756?rt=bbsize


  • 5 years ago

    Very pretty. 9x12 too big; 8x10 all legs of long sofa section would fir on it but back legs of shorter section would be off rug. Is that ok or do the legs have to be all on or all front on? 8x11 entire sectional would fit but that’s a weird size.

  • 5 years ago

    An 8x11 rug I mean. This has yellows/tans not sure of? Burgundy, dark gray, spice in oillows

  • 5 years ago

    Pillows

  • 5 years ago

    Did u mean for family room?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Hi, Nancy, yes the one I posted was a suggestion for the family room. You said you wanted neutral and budget-friendly, so it fits those. Since there’s golden oak in the room, I thought the rug (or one like it) could help tie in the warm woods and cool-toned furniture. But there are plenty of choices out there if you’re wanting it to have more color, or not have any gold. Tons of distressed gray rugs that are priced well. Many sites have mock-up options to see the rugs in your room.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks. I tried the rug in my room as a photo and it is pretty cool!

  • 5 years ago

    Sofa looks brownish in this light plus walls are beige. White walls would be better for dark room but not painting now.

  • 5 years ago

    Brightens it up. What do u think? Price is right.

  • 5 years ago

    Will try again in daylight

  • 5 years ago

    I like it!

  • 5 years ago

    That rug looks very nice in this room! And I like the wall color as is - more interesting than white.

  • 5 years ago

    In daylight. But thinking now something more modern/casual. Looks too much like old rug. Maybe with bigger design or distressed.

  • 5 years ago

    Rugs USA and Rugs Direct are two more that have the mock-up feature. I’ve ordered from all of them, plus eSaleRugs, and have had good experiences with each.

  • 5 years ago

    hi nancy.. I really like the statement rug but is it currently in the LR with furniture you showed?

  • 5 years ago

    can sectional and table be shown away from wall and fireplace some?
    as to current out of balance-- i
    looking straight at FP -- appears that room is weighted down (on left) cause rug doesnt extend across fp...is it bare floor until the recliner?

  • 5 years ago

    Room is weighted down on left. Walkway with bare floor in front of recliner. TV set up used to be where recliner is. Small fr; I am trying to add reading nook but room has passageways.

  • 5 years ago

    Some different views

  • 5 years ago

    Another view maybe should forget rocker and keep tv on wall opposite sofa. I wanted a reading nook.

  • 5 years ago

    I will extend new rug out 6 inches.

  • 5 years ago

    Another view

  • 5 years ago

    Living room has the teal flowered rug. This is small fr. The key word in this house is small. Has Lr/Dr then Fr/Nook then kitchen. Plus first floor bedroom and bathroom.

  • 5 years ago

    What about gray and white or off white geometric pattern rug? Large pattern. Pretty common now.

  • 5 years ago

    Love your couch and the color of it! Highly recommend a cognac colored leather chair for your elevated reading nook area. One of my fave cozy yet polished combos.

  • 5 years ago

    I wanted leather. Is cognac warm reddish brown or yellowish brown?

  • 5 years ago

    @Nancy W. this is what I think of when I think cognac colored leather