Software
Houzz Logo Print
nlwilcox

Family room decorating help hi

5 years ago

Need help choosing new area rug to go in family room with newly purchased sectional. Also need lamp at side of sectional and behind or near rocker recliner in reading nook in same room. Thanks!

Comments (3)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    May I make a couple of suggestions? Yes? : > )


    3rd photo: the space is the entire width of the fireplace wall. You should pull the rug out more to fit more of the floor. Consider using the sewing cabinet in that corner because it is higher than what you have. You need nothing to the right of the firebox. A table lamp in the tone of the sofa would look nice (brass and blue).


    As for the reading nook, a brass floor lamp, throw pillow and cozy throw will make the corner special.









  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Wondering, is there room for the sectional to face the t v and fireplace?

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for the suggstions!


    Yes, we were going to pull rug out more. Wanted to buy area rug a ittle large, maybe not so much brown in it. Table in corner with lamp matches coffee table. Have TV wires and TV box on bottom shelf of it. Can I just get a taller lamp? Was going to move sewing box somewhere else.


    Can't put three seats facing TV/fireplace. The TV used to be on wall where the rocker is now but I moved TV over the fireplace to make a reading nook. There is a "walkway" in front of the rocker in this small family room that goes to the right to stairs, living and dining area. The family room area is small and broken up by that area that needs to be kept clear.


    I had two couches before and they were too big. Regular one was under window and loveseat was where small part of sectional is now. Arms overlapped. Maybe I should have gotten different sectional configuration. Just two seats and two seats? Just bought this one :(


    Moved here 5 yearsago from larger home, just retired, and trying to decorate bit by bit. I don't have decorating confidence in my purchases but I sort of know what looks good. Also want to get new rocker or glider/recliner because this one hurts my neck - pushes neck out. Not sure what color to get or fabric/leather.


    I like the lamps you picked out. But maybe white or lighter color shade near sofa, which has a grayish tweedy look. Room is rather dark at night.


    Do you do online decorating assistance? Here in San Diego the decorators I have looked up are for high end price points.

    Thanks, N.