Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_635535659

Hate my new backsplah

5 years ago

We just had new backsplash installed and im hating the the tile we used under the hood. Does it it absolutely horrible? Should I get it replaced?


Comments (64)

  • 5 years ago

    Darn. I don't like it any better from a distance. Perhaps call your tile installer and see what your options are. It is perfectly livable, though. Not horrible. It's just that everything else is too harmonious for this one element to slip by unnoticed.


    I really like how the marble (?) hex pulls everything together. And you don't even need a backsplash accent behind the cooktop when you've got pizza peels!


    Also, I told ya so. :P

  • 5 years ago

    "I'd look into the cost to rip it out and continue the hex back there."

    I agree and think you might be happier that way.

  • 5 years ago

    Rip it out now, before the thinset fully cured.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Why didn't your top fabricator pull the cooktop forward? Does the cooktop meet the manufacturer's installation instructions this way? Why are there apparently no 3/8" manufacturer required radii at your inside corners?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I don't like it either. (it just doesn't work with anything) you should have just continued w/the hex tile. much better.

    you could prob still do it if you have more tile.

    (is there a reason you didn't remove the 4" piece of quartz before tiling?)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I’d rather the hex continued, instead of having the chevron

  • 5 years ago

    Hex is continued may be easier live with for a longer time. If you don't want to start over, continue a your pattern. As for color; if you don't like the colors compared to your cabinets, consider ceramic stain.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It appears out of place to me. Both the pattern and the deep gray color are jarring.

    Personally, I wouldn’t have let it stay up long enough to take a picture.

    Your cabinets are lovely though.

  • 5 years ago

    I have to agree that it doesn't work well. The gray is very dark and the lighter color looks much cooler than your cabinets ( which look very nice!)

  • 5 years ago

    I think the transition is visually jarring and doesn't go well with the hex. Agree the hex would be a much better choice to take under the stove. You can jazz things up a bit with accessories -- pretty much any color would go with the hex in canisters, towels, etc or keep it soft with either tonal or wood accents.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Good news, it's fixable.

    Sooner the better.

    Sorry I do not like the zigzag lines. It stresses my eyes.

    Certain lines are not easy on the eyes & should be used sparingly


    Seeing zigzag lines is a sign of migrane aura? No kidding.

    .

    https://www.deseret.com/1996/5/29/19245330/seeing-zigzag-lines-it-s-time-to-see-the-doctor

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    It's pretty bad. I'd replace it with the hex. My question is - why is the 4 inch piece of quartz there? The hex should go all the way down and meet the countertop. You should not have that 4 inch piece there. It's either just that 4 inch piece OR tile from below the cabinets to the counter. I'd fix both problems.

  • 5 years ago

    I agree with Joe- If there is a functionality issue of the stovetop, I would address that first.

    As to your backsplash behind the range top-

    You do know you've solicited the consensus of a bunch of nitpicking perfectionists, don't you?

    Seriously though, fix the range top first.

    As for the backsplash, it's not terrible.

    No guest will leave your house and run to the phone to tell her girlfriend, "Oh my GAWD, what was she thinking with that chevron backsplash, Lordamighty!!

    If you have the $$$ and it really bothers you, then switch it out.


    HU-635535659 thanked loobab
  • 5 years ago

    @Joseph Corlett, LLC I have no idea what any of that means? Can you please explain? We had the stove installed ourselves when we first bought the house.

  • 5 years ago

    I thought both gray and chevron were past their prime. I know it would give me a migraine to see that pattern all the time. I'd have to change it.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Sorry, hate it. For its pattern, and it could be my monitor, but it also seems icy cool compared with the cabinets.

    I think these behind the stove accents are 99% of the time, simply design overthink. Over think gets you in trouble every time.: ) It suggests a far more modern / contemporary kitchen than yours as well.

    Fact is , you have THREE backsplashes, ( the 4" riser should have been removed before any tile or accent ) added. One back splash is ALL you need.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I don't like the backsplash accent as mentioned previously,

    however I thought I should tell you did a great job picking everything else out.

    The other backsplash is a great choice & blends beautifully in the background of your pretty cabinets. The hardware pulls are proportionate & accent the appliance colors. All the other elements are in harmony. I even like your S coffee cup :)


    Glad to see you moved the wood cutting boards. Please keep wood away from cooktop for safety. You never know if a burner might be left on accidently & catches one of those nice wood boards on fire.


    In addition, every kitchen should have a fire extinguisher for the unexpected & everyone in the household should know where it is stored close by.

    HU-635535659 thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    "@Joseph Corlett, LLC I have no idea what any of that means? Can you please explain? We had the stove installed ourselves when we first bought the house."


    Apparently your kitchen designer pulled the cooktop cabinet forward so the cooktop could be pulled forward, allowing more space between the rear of the appliance and the rear wall. Whoever cut the opening for your cooktop ignored the cabinet placement and placed the cooktop just as if the cabinet hadn't been pulled forward. Now your cabinet stands between you and your cooktop an extra 3" or so and there is no additional clearance between the rear of the appliance and wall as was designed. This clearance could have been required by the appliance manufacturer.


    Your top fabricator could not ignore the cabinet placement, however, and where the front edge of the top turns 90* to get past the front of the pulled cabinet and then returns, there should be a 3/8" radius in those two inside corners. There doesn't appear to be.

    HU-635535659 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 5 years ago

    Not a design pro here- but I think your selections are lovely. You obviously wanted an oomph feature with the stove, so will you be happy having the same backsplash continued ( no zigzag?). It's busier than I would have selected but I am not sure if you are just reacting to the new-ness of it and will feel disappointed if you rip it out.

    So many posts on here so I can't give credit but I agree that no one will be commenting on the terrible backsplash when the kitchen is so beautiful.

    I am not sure what is being said about the safety issues but take heed with that- do not ignore any of that. Let us know what you decide and definitely address safety issues.

    HU-635535659 thanked salonva
  • 5 years ago

    Too jarring on the eyes and you don’t like it. I’d replace it with the same backsplash elsewhere in the kitchen. You will be unhappy every time you walk into your kitchen until it’s gone.

  • 5 years ago

    Ok yes. This isn’t ideal obviously but I’ve seen worse. If you can redo it go for it. If you want to wait a bit. It’s not the biggest eyesore I’ve ever seen

    HU-635535659 thanked HU-187528210
  • 5 years ago

    Why not look into having a custom glass and mirror fabricator make an antiqued mirror panel for that area? Pretty low cost compared to retiling...

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/beveled-antique-mirror-6-x-24-bricks-traditional-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~23220415

    HU-635535659 thanked thinkdesignlive
  • 5 years ago

    Charlie Brown's shirt...

  • 5 years ago

    If you like that idea I’d have the outlet cover in the mirror finish as well. If you go to the cost to retile to match the hex marble I’d suggest moving that outlet on the right further right if possible.

  • 5 years ago

    The easiest thing would be to have a piece of stainless steel made to cover it.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I think the problem isn't so much the pattern, but that the cabinets are too yellow for that gray/blue-white tile and the countertops. Some people can handle patterns more than others!

    If you had used a mosaic with Calacatta Gold, which has a mix of warm/cold, it probably would have worked.

  • 5 years ago

    Your cabinets are too warm with yellow undertones to go with the cool white of the backsplash. or counters in my opinion. The least offensive is the hex tile to replace what is under the hood.

  • 5 years ago

    So many opinions, I hope that doesn’t overwhelm you. When this is resolved, please post pics of your finished kitchen. Good luck with your project.

  • 5 years ago

    If that’s a Samsung cooktop, it appears to have been installed properly with regard to the rear wall:

    I think the decision to bump out the cooktop area a few inches was purely based on aesthetics, not a requirement by the manufacturer. So that extra few inches at the front is not a problem.

    HU-635535659 thanked Sammy
  • 5 years ago

    And, fwiw, I think covering the chevron with a stainless panel would be a fine alternative to the more costly option of replacing the chevron with the hex. And it‘d be instant relief, too. 😑

  • 5 years ago

    I’m guess I’m weird but I like it. Except it seems...unfinished perhaps? The transition between it and the backsplash is awkward to me.

    HU-635535659 thanked c9pilot
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I think it looks great!! You could paint your cabinets black and watch it pop!!

  • 5 years ago

    I agree with the others that say it’s worth taking it down. Bite the bullet now and you’ll,be happier. And remove the 4” backsplash as well while you have the tile installer there. It will look more modern.

  • 5 years ago

    Curious...what did you decide?

  • 5 years ago

    We’re going to re do the area under the hood.

  • 5 years ago

    Please share when done. Trying to decide for or against an accent tile under hood. Too many options lol.

  • 5 years ago

    Please share when you’ve updated the backsplash. I think you made the right decision. And to @W, many people feel that a different tile behind the stove is moving to the “dated” category. Most pros advise against it.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Pro's advise against it for several reason.

    Often difficult to marry well: tile thickness, with field, with grout, with counter

    Is .......yes....... often a dated effect that was best achieved in ceramic and a leftover , overdone concept from the 1990's

    Its not necessary,usually not advised and becomes "over think"

    Which is EXACTLY what happened above.

    There are always " too many options" . For anything and for everything.

    Design is editing to the best option, and then ? Stop looking at more "options" This is also why we see so many shower disasters on these pages. A result of too many hours in the tile shop.

    No different than paint. If a color is great on one wall of a room? It is great on the other three walls. As with "accent walls" ninety nine percent of the time : ) Amateurs employ them.

    Design is like getting dressed - take off one piece of jewelry! Do you NEED the scarf? Your goal is an EFFORTLESS style, and the same is true in design. A great room doesn't try that hard. even if hours went into making it look effortless. Leave the studied and contrived to ........................... someone else, not you. : )

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Depending on how the tile setter installed the tile, the hexagon tiles may not align from the left to the right. For example, If he did the left side with the hexagon tile up to the edge where he set the chevron tile and then continued with the hexagon tiles on the right side. The space where the hexagon tiles are may not allow for a continuous hexagon pattern across to the other side. This may be different, than if he had just continued tiling fully across the whole back splash. The last thing you need is a vertical row of half hexagon tiles seamed somewhere in that space. You really won’t know until your tile guy comes out to see the job to advise you of your options.

    Option 1

    In order to tile where the chevron tiles are, you may need to do a cream border around the space and use the hexagon tiles within it. The border could be the same as your 4” material you already have on the back splash. That would make it all look like it was a design decision vs. a patch job and may pull in the 4” border.

    Option 2

    If the hexagon tiles are too expensive, the lessor option would be to border the space where the hexagon tiles are and fill in the space with the same marble of one of the hexagon tile colors. You could use a somewhat larger marble in 6” on the diamond or some other design to fill the space.

    Option 3

    For me, the simplest fix (if it looks right) would be to place a stainless sheet over the offending chevron tiles and call it a day. You can go to Home Depot and get a thin sheet of steel and hold it up to see if that is a viable solution. If not, return it and done.

    Before you debate this and make yourself crazy, have your tile guy return and advise you what can be done and then choose.

    Its not the end of the world the way it looks. You could try adding a lot of accessories (pans, vases, canisters, towels, etc. ) on the counter top and nearby in the color of the darker grey chevron to see it more often in your kitchen. Then your eye will not be so drawn to the chevron.

    Good Luck with your decision.

  • 5 years ago

    So we’re going with calacutta honey same as hex just a thin tile and going to do the herringbone style placement

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    You will be back..............................: ( Bet me a lunch on it.

    The issue? Hex and herringbone........beg me no. Not great mixers for compatibility. Subway and herringbone in same material and I mean SAME? A MAYBE IF YOU MUST.

    Sorry to say, you are complicating that which need not be complicated. WAH. But as we say ........your home and your money.

  • 5 years ago

    What about a simpler solution of using a large mercury glass mirror over it? Not sure if it would meld with the hex tile & other elements in the kitchen (Pros?) but I've seen it done & like the look.

  • 5 years ago

    Agreeing with Jan Moyer. Keep it SIMPLE and consistent. Too many patterns is not better. If you are loving the trendy Chevrons right now, buy a set of Chevron kitchen towels, those are much easier to replace when they feel outdated or too busy to you. Keep you backsplash consistent and smooth and seemless throughout and I think that will serve you much better in the long run. I think YOU will be happier. I think there is a reason you didn't feel right with your previous design ...and it's not just the color. Good luck to you!

  • 5 years ago

    Such a nice clean look as a solid pattern.

  • 5 years ago

    Omg no mirrors, no painting cabinets black, no stainless steel!! 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ your cutting boards are beautiful, really pretty to add a different texture in there, and duh, you remove when actually cooking....you need to remove the 4” backsplash, and my personal preference would not be to change the design by the cooktop. Same material, same pattern. If you must you could do Calacutta subway. But I think the hex is busy enough, so mixing up patterns will be hard. That last pic should be your inspo photo

  • 5 years ago

    And the chevron is absolutely horrible, but this is an easy fix! Kitchen is beautiful.

    HU-635535659 thanked Kathy Furt
  • 5 years ago

    Add a Chevron kitchen towel to your oven handle

  • 5 years ago

    Whatever you do ...you will need a vertical border ...on each side of the stove...to define the tile change.. personally... I still think that is all you need...without a wider picture to be sure... it seems to be the only little design pop... “interest”...in this scenario

  • 5 years ago

    W, I LOVE the picture you posted. The tile is great. Can you send me the name of the tile and maybe other pictures of the whole kitchen and house? Thanks much!