Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sautesmom

And so it begins...

No room, of course, but Lowes has bareroots and I've wanted Sexy Rexy since I saw one in bloom 5 years ago!
Carla in Sac

Comments (26)

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    3 years ago

test

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

Hi Carla ! So glad you got one you have been looking for . Last year I got perfume breeze in one of those containers. It got a really great size !! Lovely rose .

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

WHY does it have to have such a terrible name?😩😩😩

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    3 years ago

I just picked up a few "body bags" . I had marginal luck last year. Any suggestions for planting or potting up these roses with chopped off roots? I like to pot these roses up first to give them a start.

Judith

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Lily
    I just spotted Perfume Breeze at Home Depot today! What does it smell like?

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

Tina I so totally agree !! I love roses but ugh .. sexy ?! And my husband has an uncle Rex , God bless him I can’t not think of him when I see the name rexy . Lol

Perfume breeze smells like baby powdery rose ! It’s really nice . I love it . Gotta move mine to a new location that I can enjoy it more .

Judith I pot everything up and I’ve heard you had to remove the wax if they have wax on the Canes . That’s all I know to do !

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

Congrats!! Sexy Rexy is a lovely rose, you'll have fun growing him. Now I'm excited to see what they are going to have coming at my big box stores!

• susan9santabarbara
    3 years ago

I've heard two different (believable) stories about how Sam McGredy named Sexy Rexy. One is that it was named for a female friend of his, and the other is that it was a great rose for breeding. Some folks back in the day claimed it was in honor of the actor Rex Harrison, whose nickname was "Sexy Rexy". I never believed the last one.

• susan9santabarbara
    3 years ago

I went to Home Depot two weeks ago to check out their bare roots. All were the same vendor as the pics people posted (based on the tags). Most were in horrible shape, some dead. I did find an Intrigue in good condition, which I bought for 12.99, and it's leafing out well in a 5 gallon pot. I needed another one (it's a top fave), and my local real nursery didn't have it this year. The same day, I went to my local Ace Hardware outlet, and they had much better bare roots from Weeks, some hard-to-find, all in great condition, but none I needed. It sorta killed me to pay 12.99 for the Intrigue from HD, considering that I'd paid the same for many of the six massive gorgeous bare roots from my local nursery a few days before. But I wanted it.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My local Ace also has a bunch of Weeks', in alphabetical order! 😯

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Oh, you Californians. I'm stuck with dead leaves and the tops of dead perennials. Ack. I think I read a long time ago that the name "Sexy Rexy" was named in "honor" of the actor Rex Harrison. Now have any of you seen his movies? The one I remember best was My Fair Lady. That dates me. Diane

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

I love My Fair Lady but Sexy Rexy just isn’t doing it for me

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Lowe's or Home Depot near me didn't have much varieties except the old common ones, and they were looked kind of sad. However, I found similar varieties at Sam's with better looking for about $10 each, so I got 4 last Sunday.

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

Diane I have not yet reached my fortieth decade and I like My Fair Lady too, so I don't think you are dating yourself!!

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

Trying to post the other three again.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

I read that also Diane. I think that was his nickname.

• susan9santabarbara
    3 years ago

I just did a search on Sexy Rexy, to shore up (or dispute) what I wrote yesterday based on decades of lore. Turns out it was named for a friend. Sam always nicknamed his roses when they were trialing, and he kept the nickname. As I said above, I never believed it was named for Rex Harrison. Here's the link: https://www.ranuiwines.co.nz/sexy-rexy

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lek
    Those are from Sam's Club , right? I think I saw them there.
    Carla in Sac

• susan9santabarbara
    3 years ago

Sautesmom, those Weeks roses were exactly what I encountered at my Ace store. I think they were on sale for 20.99. Pretty pricey for bare roots in a hardware store, but they all looked amazing and were very healthy in their peat pots. The store is taking very good care of them.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Susan
    My Ace a few years ago had a Weeks booth one weekend with their sales reps. They were super nice and gave me a catalogue!

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

@sautesmom Sacramento, yes from Sam's Club. There are a few varieties too.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Vapor, after some research, I have to agree that the rose Sexy Rexy was named for McGready's friend, but what I read about Rex Harrison would make him a good candidate for this title--but not necessarily in a good way. Harrison was married six times and conducted affairs during, before, and after all these marriages. Two fairly well know actresses who had painful affairs with Harrison took their own lives. Wow. I'm not sure I like the guy anymore. Sorry for info overload. Diane

• susan9santabarbara
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Diane and Vapor, it was always widely assumed that Sexy Rexy was named for Rex Harrison, since that was really his nickname. I remember the nickname from my childhood (I grew up in a family of movie and musical watchers, and I'm 65 years old). Over my decades of rose enthusiasm, I heard both of the accounts that I posted originally. The one about Sam's friend sounds more reasonable, and I read it in several NZ articles. Bummer about Rex Harrison's bad character. BTW, Sexy Rexy is one of my favorite roses.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

Where are you guys located? Have roses in the stores already?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Thanks for having dispelled that meth! Now it makes me wonder about McGready's friend. 😊

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert