Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_kieser

Art is Too Small for Wall

Melissa Kieser
3 years ago

I went against my instincts (and advice from fellow Houzz posters) and bought art that is too small for the wall. Is there any way to salvage this? Hang something on each side?

Comments (20)

• lili gonzalez
    3 years ago

yes! hang something on each side, maybe a small gallery wall if that's what you're into :)

side note- i'd appreciate some feedback on my post ( no one seems to want to help)

• shirlpp
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Why don't you return the art for something larger.

lili - pics of your room are needed.

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    3 years ago

large size art is definitely better to maximize the statement. you can do an art gallery on that wall by putting different piece of artworks.

Good luck and enjoy decor !

http://www.pooviartgallery.com

art on paper · More Info

art on paper · More Info

Flow Acrylic Interior design Artworks · More Info

• HU-554207724
    3 years ago

If you love the picture you can always purchase a frame the size you need to fill the space and then have a mat made to make the picture fit the new frame. I think the art itself is great for your space!

Edit- I personally wouldn’t add anything on the sides. I love the clean minimalish vibe you’ve got going.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Your photo may be misleading but it seems that it is hung a bit too high. Bringing it down may take care of the feeling that it is too small. Seems right now it is floating up there with the chandelier and bringing it down will make it part of the plant and dining set.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Hang it lower and before that get a larger frame

• pbsch
    3 years ago

I agree with hanging it slightly lower...perhaps eye level as you are seated? Also consider putting another plant on the right. Larger frame, or paint a “frame” on the wall around the painting. I love your choice of colors... the painting really pops.

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

It looks like it's at the right height IMO. I would not go lower, but perhaps change the orientation to vertical.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

Buy another similar painting and hang them side by side, vertically.

• Mary V
    3 years ago

I would hang it vertically.

• Melissa Kieser
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ve switched it to vertical and agree it looks better. This size is 30 x 40. I could get the next size up which is 40 x 55. It’s a few hundred dollars more for the next size up. Do you think that would be worth it?

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I would have it reframed, including a mat to enlarge the piece on the whole, and then hang it slightly lower. You don't need to add anything else to the wall; as noted above, the minimalism is quite nice, and adding more will detract from that.

• Mary V
    3 years ago

It looks much better! 40 x 55 might be too large. 36 x 48 would be ideal.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Yes, I'd spend the extra $$ and get the larger size. I think THAT will fit this space perfectly and make a fabulous statement.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Custom matte and larger frame could easily be a couple hundred dollars. It is too small for this spot- either move it elsewhere in the home, buy a companion piece the same size that compliments it, or buy the larger size

• Melissa Kieser
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What are your thoughts on additional color? Everything is so gray. I was thinking switching the drapes out for green and hanging them higher to match the height of the pantry cabinets you can see on the left.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Definitely raise the drapes but they don't need to be the star, let the art, the plant, and the view be the focus

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

I would just get a matte and larger frame. I do agree it looks better hanging vertically.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I like your current drapes. Seriously, you have such a calm, cool, and serene vibe going on now; don't secondguess it. Maybe a special piece of artisan pottery or something more colorful as your table centerpiece would be nice, though.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

IMO- art can never be too small. If you have some blue tape, tape the larger size on the wall and see how you like it.