Software
Houzz Logo Print
calexandrou86

Kitchen cabinets

13 years ago
I am designing my kitchen and just was wondering if any one had any tips to make it more affordable , maybe brands or types of cabinets any ideas would help...

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The shaker door style is a very affordable door style.
    A rectangular countertop is more affordable than a curved one.
    :) Rhoda
  • 13 years ago
    Shaker is very classic and won't date fast. They look awesome in maple and painted white. Since they are square no need for curve on the countertop...
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with simpler cabinet doors. What kind of lighting will you have? Pot lights could save you money.
    Also, don't forget a piece of trim down the wall on left side of the fridge. It will shift the appliance to the right enough to allow the left door to open fully.
  • 13 years ago
    I know this is a hard question to answer from this picture but , for efficient good looking kitchen what price range should I be looking at ? This is my first home and I am getting It built
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe this would help thanks everyone for the comments
  • 13 years ago
    Cost depends a lot on where you live (labor costs) and how deep your remodel goes.
    Our $60,000 remodel was down to the studs, plumbing moved, 3 new windows, replaced knob-and-tube wiring, reinforced beams, all new appliances. We had custom cabinets because of our awkward spaces, but those ended up costing less than the mass-produced ones.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    There have been some great points here. Location and scope are really important details to know. In many parts of California or New York $60,000 is not an exorbitant amount to spend on a kitchen but in most of the county you could buy half a house. I've found with these discussion boards that the more details you can share the better and more detailed the response. I would be more that happy to share my insight. Good luck.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi - why not email your design to all the local kitchen studios to you and see what their quotations would be ? Then try taking it to the big discount stores - a little emailing around and a little visiting should pay dividends in the long run ! The design looks as though it will work well . I hope you are successful in finding it at the right price ! :-)
  • 13 years ago
    we did ours down to the studs - 42,000. Custom cabinets all new appliances, plumbing, electrical, lighting, flooring.
  • 13 years ago
    You can try the following designs
  • 13 years ago
    I'm getting prices from between 18-20 just for cabinets ...I'm planning on going to home drop or lowes , any one know of a good name bran with soft close features and dove tail ect. Good quality stuff that won't leave me without a left arm ?
  • 13 years ago
    I've not found that the big box stores are all that much cheaper for their cabinets than some local suppliers. Additionally, local suppliers may be including the measuring, installation, or other services in their price. Make sure you are comparing "apples to apples" when you are getting your pricing.
    Having said that, there is a tremendous variation in pricing across the country. Simpler cabinet designs, fewer bells and whistles, unique paint colors or finishes, or fewer cabinets will be the least expensive way to go. You might also want to consider RTA cabinets if you're handy.
  • 13 years ago
    How adventurous are you?

    Two things come to mind:
    1- You can take the doors off old cabinets and upgrade the doors and hardware.

    2- Many time builders put in the wrong elements, or over procure and have to sell at a significant discount. That can be as easy as a Craig's List, which I do believe is across the country. Here in NYC there are many "recycle" stores that sell entire used kitchens/bathrooms/ etc. With some imagination and the right carpenter you could recycle into fabulousness and have a great story to boot!

    Cheers
  • 13 years ago
    Last one- sometimes the big stores Lowes, HD, Ikea etc have "scratch and sent", As Is- which can oftentimes mean already assembled or floor models, or overstock that you just have to inquire about...