Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asenette_ayers

MDF vs Wood Baseboards

Asenette Ayers
3 years ago

What's the biggest drawback using MDF baseboards vs wood? I'm replacing the flooring in my home and want to update the baseboards with a 4X1 (approx sz?) with no shoe mold or additional trim. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Comments (7)

• lwfromny
    3 years ago

I’ve used it and I think it looks great. I would hesitate to use it with no quarter round or additional trim though, unless maybe the space is carpeted. The floor will not be perfectly flat and with a hard flooring you will see gaps between the bottom of the molding and the floor.

• rltpro1
    3 years ago

Thank you for the tip. I'll have to rethink what I'm envisioning and look at some photo ideas.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    3 years ago

Use wood baseboards, it will keep your wall looking straight with all the imperfections. Wood does not bend like MDF. MDF will bend along curves and imperfections, highlighting it.

MDF will swell when affected by moisture. Wood is less likely to break, when removed.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

IMO it depends on your space I use MDF baseboards all through my house it is IMO a simple look for a MCM style. I also always installt the baseboard after the flooring and have never had an issue where I needed 1/4 round or shoe mold which IMO is only needed when the flooring installer is sloppy with his work. Is this what you are thinking? That is perfectly doable

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

May last house was mdf 1x6 base everywhere. Paints up beautifully. The only spot that showed any damage eight years on was where it met the shower curb (and I knew better).

• rltpro1
    3 years ago

Hallett & Co, I'd love to use the 1x6 but I have large windows and that size won't fit. Thank you for sharing your experience.

• rltpro1
    3 years ago

Patricia Colwell Consulting, so pretty! That's exactly the look I'm envisioning. What room is this? I love the wall paper.