Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_891276262

laundry room layout

HU-891276262
3 years ago

We are moving to a condo and finishing up revisions. I really need out laundry room to be a workhorse room. It’s just my husband and I but plan to feed dogs in the laundry room as well. I plan to put removable shelves in the closet and also plan to charge a cordless vacuum in there. I would love room to store 2 laundry baskets will need a hamper of some sort and a hanging area. I can’t make the door to the closet a pocket so will need it to swing that way. If I considered stacking the washer and dryer to the wall where the sink is now I wonder if that would make the space more efficient? I had myself convinced I wouldn’t like a stacked washer and dryer but haven’t really used them much. Any laundry design experts out there?! Thank you so much for any advice!

Comments (7)

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Why do you need a closet?

• HU-891276262
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Apple pie - that is where the water heater is

• dadoes
    3 years ago

"... I have a stacked washer dryer. They are both frontloaders."

Dryers are always frontloading ... except Fisher & Paykel offered a toploading dryer from approx 2004 to 2010.

"Don't get the kind of washer/dryer where the bottom unit (usually the
    washer) has a 45 degree angle cut into it because the washer is a top
    loader."

That is known as a *stacked* set, which can be operated only in the combined configuration. Maytag and Speed Queen (maybe others) had such units with a frontload washer. Speed Queen still does. https://speedqueen.com/products/home-products/stacked-washers-dryers/  LG also recently introduced one, called the WashTower. https://www.lg.com/us/washer-dryer-combos/lg-wkgx201hba-washtower

Regular frontloader sets, with the controls on front instead of a backsplash panel, are known as *stackable* being that they can operate either stacked or separately side-by-side.

• samarnn
    3 years ago

We have a similar utility closet. My husband made a bookshelf on wheels which slides into the space in front of the furnace. It is nothing fancy, but he sized the height of shelves exactly to hold various spray bottles & bins of lightbulbs, microfiber towels, etc. It rolls into the hallway when the repairman comes or the filter needs replacing. We put a set of flat wall hung wire shelves above that on the side wall for little cleaning things like Brasso. And we hung hooks from the ceiling for tall things like dustmop. Short folding step ladder slides in under those. Biggest regret that we didn't add an electric outlet for charging stuff.

I have elsewhere a laundry closet w/stacked machines and deep shelves beside them sized for laundry baskets and clothes maintenance stuff like detergent & spray wash, mending, iron, etc etc. I have no place for lay-flat-to-dry...partly because I just don't buy such things, but I have seen slide out wire contraptions. that fit under a shelf. You have enough room for a small ironing board that hangs on the door & folds down...I've had one in the past & it was more than adequate for the little bit of ironing we do. Left-handed ironing might be an issue if you iron a lot.

I lust for your laundry sink, which could have a big dog food bin beside & cabinetry above. And that long wall which I would fill with hooks. Don't forget a trash can.

• HU-891276262
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you!! Are you happy with your stacked washer and dryer?

• Karenseb
    3 years ago

My daughter bought the Washtower 2 months ago and really likes it.

She has shelves to the right and a rod over that in order to hang clothes. She can store laundry baskets on the shelves under the hanging rod.

The nice thing about the washtower is that the controls are in the middle and easier to read than when they are on top of separately stacked washing machines.

HU-891276262 thanked Karenseb
Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio