Software
Houzz Logo Print
somejava

Redo cushion with inside corner

5 years ago

Need video or instructions to upholster a seat with 4 cut corners to fit around the legs of a chair.

Comments (8)

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you but I’m not looking to sew a fabric cover but instructions how to wrap material over a seat that has been removed from chair. The seat has 4 inside corners that have been cut into the frame so that it fits around the chair legs. Thanks again!

  • 5 years ago

    Do you have a pic of the chair and seat?

  • 5 years ago


    Here the seat I would like to recover. Thanks for any advice you may have.

  • 5 years ago

    So is this a drop in seat, that you need to wrap, staple and drop back in or is there a 2" or 3" high foam cushion that attaches to the seat that you need to cover? Sorry that pic's not telling me anything.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for your follow up question-sorry i wasn’t clear. you are correct it is a drop seat (didnt know terminology) I’m also considering making an additional cushion as well to make the old rocking chair we inherited more comfortable-using same advice to staple cushion together. THANK YOU SO MUCH for any advice - i just couldn’t toss this old chair and didn’t want to spend $ to get redone. My next questions will be any suggestions to wrap the back of the chair to match. 😬 I have ideas that might work.


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I found a video on how to wrap a seat and back. While it's not exactly the same, the seat is shaped and will give you the basics.

    The only thing different to do, is to start at the corners and just kind of pull taut and pleat if necessary, to tuck the fabric in the corners. You'll need to pull and stretch a lot and if necessary, you may need to remove staples and restaple here and there. There's really no special trick, it's just redoing until you get it right.

    I personally would use dacron or some kind of batting over the foam. Makes for a more cushy and comfortable seat. Just leave it about 1/2" bigger around the top. No need to put it on the sides. I'd also use an air stapler if possible. If not, at least an electric one. And buy short staples for the first round so it's easier to pull out. Then use a longer staple for the final stapling.

    Here's the video.




  • 5 years ago

    Thank you! I so appreciate the time you took to explain and share this video with me.