Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisams

Help with Facelift!

5 years ago

Any budget friendly ideas to give this tiny home entry some character? Any ideas would be much appreciated. I can’t stand the cinder block wall.

Comments (17)

  • 5 years ago

    Plant some flowering vines along the wall that will eventually cascade over and onto the other side of the wall facing your house.

  • 5 years ago

    Also, put a large pot of colorful flowers on either side of the front door. Go for something with height.

  • 5 years ago

    Does the wall need to be that tall? Might be hard to knock off a layer or two cleanly, though.

  • 5 years ago

    Could you stain the concrete a deeper gray?

  • 5 years ago

    I could paint it a deeper gray, yes. Thanks for the idea, Cecile 7A. I think it would be too hard to lower, little bug.

  • 5 years ago

    Thought about putting some of that bamboo screening in front of it. The wall is cracked in one place if you look closely. Even thought about covering it with fake ivy. That would be tacky, huh? :-)

  • 5 years ago

    I’d add lighting landscaping and new outdoor furniture. Is that a storm door? Do you need it? Eventually I’d maybe add a bigger door, some more windows and a portico over the door... really cute house

  • 5 years ago

    Love the portico idea. Yes, new furniture would be nice. That’s a screen door. I’m thinking as to whether or not we’d miss it. Good food for thought. Thank you!

  • 5 years ago

    A chunkier, more substantial bench would look great and, yes, please take down the stuff on the wall.

  • 5 years ago

    Ooooh add some cascading vines and plants! Will look absolutely gorgeous

  • 5 years ago

    “Please take down the stuff on the wall” made me lol.

  • 5 years ago

    Not trying to offend. I think you asked directly if it should come down. You could replace it with something larger IF you could balance it with a larger bench below.

  • 5 years ago

    No offense taken. Appreciate your input!

  • 5 years ago

    Could the storage building, ladder and other utilitarian stuff be moved away from the front of the house? I would clear everything out and off this part of the house/patio. Start with a blank slate and you'll see more possibilities. If you have a green thumb, you might consider a flower box under the window. I found they're easier to maintain if filled with something to help waterproof the inside and then just rotate planted pots of seasonal blooms and greenery. You'll have to water more often, but it isn't so messy as having a box full of dirt to tend. If that's the kitchen window, you might just raise it and water with your kitchen sink's spray attachment! Or you could do shutters on that window, but make sure they're sized correctly and are functional. Then add a white wooden bench on the other side. What's planted in the triangular front garden? Looks like it could use a makeover with spring just around the corner. Here's a cinder block wall painted gray and topped with a fence. Not a budget idea but worth saving up for. It will give you more privacy.


    Jersey Way Addition · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    Yes! Would love to move the utilitarian stuff. It would help a bunch. Love all your ideas; and the photo! I can actually be pretty handy so any suggestions (budget friendly or not) appreciated. (I LOVE window boxes and need one.)

  • 5 years ago

    Beautiful property!! I’m jealous :)
    My suggestions:
    Cedar shakes (real or vinyl for easy maintenance)
    Red shutters, larger light
    Declutter front area
    Step up to the painted retaining wall which holds your new seating area with firepit and twinkle lights