Software
Houzz Logo Print
christiejurgens_logan

Lightening a dark kitchen

My husband had a black and brown kitchen when I moved in, and I’ve always hated how dark it is, even in broad daylight. We can’t do a whole remodel yet - cherry cabinets stay and he won’t part with his black granite (with murky greige swirls), but I covered the backsplash, window trim, and inside of glass cabinets with white paper to see if just getting some things lightened would help. It’s pretty remarkable. Here’s what I’m planning to lighten it: fresh paint on soffit to match new backsplash, updated brass cabinet pulls, removing dark tile backsplash and replacing with wavy subway tile in a light greige (to mimic lake out the window), paint window trim soft white to match the rest of the house and hang light valance, and find pretty art paper to line inside of glass cabinets and add lighting in them. Any other ideas?

Comments (21)

  • 5 years ago

    I think the backsplash is going to make a world of a difference. you can tell just from the white paper. if you can, maybe put lights in your glass front cabinets too. I think changing the hardware will be a big difference also! good luck and please post after pics!

  • 5 years ago

    The white backsplash would look great. Painting the soffit is also a great idea but since you will be painting the window frame the same color as the rest of the house, why not paint it the same color as well? I would limit the number of colors, it would be easier on the eye, another color might be distracting. If you want a more modern look maybe a roman shade instead of a valence with the nice fabric in your picture. As for door handles and drawer pulls, I would go for modern stainless, since you already have stainless appliances and the bar stools as well. Again, easier on the eye. Choose a modern shape, round or flat ones. It’s difficult to determine the color of your floor tiles on the pictures, they look a bit pinkish on my screen. Are the tiles throughout the house or only in the kitchen? If they’re only in the kitchen and budget permitting you could change those too. Or change the rug for something with stripes, with the grey from the fabric. Good luck with your project, please post some after picture!

  • 5 years ago

    I love how the lights are reflecting off the paper and soon it will be the new tile! Would it be possible to find new homes for the stuff on the counter covering up the wall? I agree on getting a fabric shade and stainless hardware and a new rug. Maybe someday a new ceiling fixture? In one picture it looked like the fluorescent box kind?

  • 5 years ago

    If you remove everything from the counter tops it will have a dramatic effect! How often do you use that mixer, put it in basement if you have to. Store the recipe books in a closet. Maybe leave canisters but the rest you could do away with. It will brighten things up. I’d start there. There’s too much going on & it adds to the darkness. Post after pictures😄

  • 5 years ago

    I would take off a few upper cabinet doors and paint the interiors to match soffits, and also paint out interiors of glass cabinets. Use these open shelves to showcase only light colored or reflective items. I would also try for more lighting, specifically under cabinets over whole expanse, overhead- if you can’t replace, maybe you can get brighter wattage. Clear off counters and only keep simple light items visible- a white vase with sunflowers set on a light colored tray for instance. And look for new larger shinier and contemporary door and drawer hardware.

  • 5 years ago

    I put taped a light coloured wallpaper on the back walls of my glass doored cabinets. It made a huge difference And can be easily changed or removed . I just used 2 sided tape . It has stayed up well.

  • 5 years ago

    I would change or remove that center box ceiling light, and add several small can lights. Change bulbs or fixture to 3000K, or 3500K LEDs on a dimmer switch to allow for better light control.

  • 5 years ago

    Consider adding a solartube [thru the roof]. They are not that expensive and a handy person can even install it themselves. You will not believe the difference a solartube makes in the amount of natural light it brings into the space. Highly recommend a solartube; I have installed two in two separate rooms. Have one installed, and THEN make subsequent decisions on what else to do in your kitchen.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Totally agree with the lighting recommendations. Installing LEDs that don't require cans (just a box), and that can be linked together (so don't have to install multiple boxes, although that is another way to do it), is not difficult and doesn't require the entire ceiling to be torn up. Even easier if there is attic access above the kitchen. The cost of low profile LED units has come down a bunch since mine were installed, too, so not a huge expense. It will be SO worth it. Look up threads on proper placement of ceiling lights.

    Also agree with not introducing another color on your soffits. Make them flow with the adjoining walls.

    I'm not sure about brass with the tiles; if you can buy just one cheap handle to try out after your tile and paint is done. What I would say is that I like the curved style better with your cabinets than something like a more modern bar, but I would look for a pull that is a bit less dainty in design than the current ones.

  • 5 years ago

    I agree that a roman shade is more modern than a valance. I also agree about clearing the counters, which is a constant struggle between me and my husband who likes everything within reach. It does make it seem more clean and bright, however. I try for a cohesive theme for whatever is on the counters, using one color or metal, especially white or for me, stainless steel or that color metal. Clear everything off and see how it looks and put back only what you think you need and use every day, jar of utensils by the stove, etc. It isn't easy as more stuff seems to gravitate if I'm not careful!

  • 5 years ago

    You 'could' take out the 2 glass cabinets on both sides of the sink and do a couple of floating shelves on the sides... You are limited to what you can place inside glass cabinets anyway so you wouldn't lose much storage. It may even make the area function better by having things easily accessible. Undercabinet lights will just hang below shelf and the whole area behind would be tiled or just painted a bright white. I think this would open up the kitchen dramatically and give you a lighter feel to the room.

  • 5 years ago

    Lose the soffit!! It will make the ceilings seem higher.

  • 5 years ago

    I agree with the Solatube idea. We added an interior bathroom and added 2 solatubes as it is a slightly separated space and it is now one of the brightest rooms in the house. It has been five years with no problems. We are going to add one more near our kitchen to brighten up that area. We love them and it is more economical than trying to change everything in your kitchen.

  • 5 years ago

    Have you considered changing the lighting or adding LED can lighting?

  • 5 years ago

    I've found putting a large tray on the countertop to corral loose items does two things: hides the countertop color and makes the loose bits look organized. Maybe a runner or something like placemats on the bartop? I would be wary of covering up too much of the window with fabric because it's such a valuable source of light. I love lamplight in a kitchen. It always looks so cozy. Maybe try adding a small lamp? Target has some cute little ones that might fit under the upper cabinets to illuminate a dark corner. I did a quick and easy faux antique mirror treatment on my glass cabs and it's fantastic! Hides the interior clutter and reflects light.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for all the suggestions! Soffit elimination, can lighting, and new flooring (along with pretty much everything else) will happen in full gut in a couple of years. We do have good under cabinet lighting, and the light fixture is actually pretty in person (reminds me of C. R. Mackintosh), and it’s not fluorescent. I thought I wanted it out, but now I don’t until the next phase. (I also haven’t found anything I really love that works in there for now.) We have discussed a skylight or solar tube, and painting the window the same color as the wall with a more modern Roman shade are great ideas, too. Cookbooks are def going elsewhere, and there will be less on the counters. I’ve actively been searching for a cute little lamp and new rug. Bar stools will be replaced with something softer with upholstery that relates to window treatment and the rest of the house. I haven’t found brass hardware to bring home and try. Places like Home Depot and Lowe’s are usually out or not even close to being right. Any good sources for brass hardware? Thank you again!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Since you don’t know what your remodel will look like in a couple years, you might want to hold off on replacing the bar stools. Why not have seat cushions made of the same material as the roman shade, whatever fabric you choose, or a plain color found in the print of the roman shade. But I would not have tufted ones, just square, a bit on the thick side. That might be enough to soften the look and much easier on the budget! Brass is in right now, very trendy, but I still think it would not be a good look with all the stainless appliances, it would not be a cohesive look and will clash. Save the brass for your remodel in a couple of years!

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    The difference with proper lighting can be profound. A white kitchen with poor lighting is still dim, and can look dingy.

    The Before here had white cabinets, but only a central light, and 2 recessed lights over the peninsula.

    Gorgeous in Germantown · More Info


    The After also has white cabinets, but has proper lighting plan.


    Gorgeous in Germantown · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    We had a kitchen with one, small, north-facing window and our builder put in a nice skylight. Only a 2x4 basic skylight, but he made the “well” for it flare out and it floods the kitchen in light when sunny.

  • 5 years ago

    You can also add LED rope lighting where the ceiling and walls meet hidden by a molding to reflect onto the ceiling.