Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_697096821

Kicked'em out today!

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Kicked all my Citrus outta their Winter shelter today (garage/cold greenhouse).

They look pretty good, though usually, there is more blooming going on by now (only the Ponderosa lemon is flowering), but that's okay because Citrus in active growth and/or flowering are less cold hardy than those still in a Winter slumber. Everything survived. Plants holding fruit include; etrog (Citrus medica) and Calamondin. For whatever reason, on a seasonal basis, I get most fruit from the Persian limes and lemons (mostly Lisbo

Comments (12)

  • 5 years ago

    My have been kicked out to.

  • 5 years ago

    Mines are still waiting to be kicked out!

    Congrats to the both of you) I wish I could

  • 5 years ago

    I evicted almost all the house plants (for the second time), but now the forecast again shows freezing temps coming end of next week. If winter isn't done and it's gonna get cold, please bring some serious snow, otherwise, go away!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Ken, after many YEARS of experience with the annual migration of the plants into the house, basement and garage, I do this in waves. My first plants to go out, are those that have been under relatively chily to cold (but frost free) conditions from about late November. By mid March, it's usually mild enough to take out the hardier palms (Washingtonias, Queens, etc), and cycads (those weigh a ton and are not easy to move without wheels), oleanders, Norfolk Island pine, and the Citrus. However, if the Citrus are in active growth or flowering, those get moved back inside. I looked at my super extended and I think everything will be okay. Some time in late April, I move out more tropicals (bananas, Ficus, any remaining palms. Really, my biggest concern is getting them outta the garage because..., it starts really heating up in there (full sun/due south-facing/unobstructed exposure/all day) even on chilly Spring days, and I cannot keep up with watering and maintaining a full-time job, and believe it or not, I have only ever lost Citrus from dehydration, never cold. I try to push the envelope regarding the species overwintered in the garage. Surprisingly enough, had no issues with overwintering..., Giant Bird of Paradise, Scheffleras, Chamaedoreas (aka., bamboo palms), and others.


    P.S., Back in the day I tried overwintering the Citrus in the house, those always died from massive infestations of SCALE..., no bugs overwintered in the garage.

  • 5 years ago

    Phoenix, I have a similar move strategy. Most will stay out as it's predicted to be just at freezing. I may just toss a blanket and tarp over my fruit carrying or blossom bearing rather than hauling back in.

  • 5 years ago

    Ken, I'm with you on that..lol

  • 5 years ago

    Ken that only thing I can't stand with that method is that after my trees look like crap with the cold temps and hot sun. I just wish it would stay warm and stop with this teas. Ugh. 40's by day is just way to cold to do anything positive for my trees. 40's at night is ok, as long as I get warm temps by day. I couldn't be so lucky( 70's for the next 2 days then 40's for the next three. UGH

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Oh if only we all had greenhouses! I'll be kicking mine outside in early April because it'll finally be somewhat temperate overnight. I've brought them in and out about 6 times this winter to hit them with neem oil (haul out, spray, haul in during the same day). I'm looking forward to hauling them out and leaving them out for a few days.

    At least this year I have a shade cloth ready to keep them from sunburning in this high altitude sunshine. The UV index was already 7 last weekend!

  • 5 years ago

    Tom, are they finally out for the season??/ Mines have been and even with temps once again into the 40's for days, and that is highs, all this new growth abounds. Pretty resilient I tell you. I swear the cold does not bother them when the days are so much longer now))

  • 5 years ago

    Hi Mike!


    I kicked all my plants out for good on May 14th. We got about 3" of snow on May 10th, though it didn't stick to the roads well. Growing citrus here is challenging; the overnight lows have frequently been in the 30s and low 40s due to the lack of humidity. The good news is we're FINALLY in growing season with highs staying in the 60s-90s with lows in the mid 40s to mid 50s. Hail is a very common occurrence out here, unfortunately. While it hasn't been large yet (dime size or smaller), it does frequently paint the ground white!

  • 5 years ago

    Tom, that is cray with the hail...Please, remind me where you live?

    Funny you should say that about snow because the same thing happened to me. My trees were covered in snow and I had to spray it off with my faucet because all the branches were so bent. It was in the 70's before that and then 70's after. 30's at night just strange weather here. 90's by the weekend and 40's yesterday. All over the place but the trees do not seemed to be phased by it thank God. I suppose if this was fall it would be a different story with the days getting shorter.

    I have a lot of new growth on mine coming from everywhere even though. I think it is time to take pictures soon. If you have any recent I would like to see them)

  • 5 years ago

    Hi Mike!


    I'm out in Colorado Springs. Our last hailstorm that hit the plants was last week, and it tore up a bunch of new growth--though it was only dime-sized. The older growth was fine. Storms out here are different than those at lower elevations--here, the lower atmosphere heats up very quickly from the intense solar heating on the ground, but the upper atmosphere is still very cold since we're already at 6550 feet (remember, temperatures generally decrease with height). The end result is typically dime-sized or smaller hail for new cells that quickly bubble up and rapidly die in the late afternoon. Basically any afternoon thunderstorm typically drops small hail at some point, and it's luck of the draw where it pops! Haven't had any large stuff yet, fortunately. Large hail usually involves rotation.


    Have you started a new growth picture thread yet?


    Hope you're having a great summer!


    -Tom


Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions