goldenbird411

Help with bedroom pillows

goldenbird411

So I FINALLY decided on a bedding set for our master bedroom... I like it but I would like to add a bunch of pillows.. as I love pillows.. but Im having a hard time knowing what will look good with it? Any suggests what would look nice with this set... I purchased all the pillows in this photo but wanted to add a couple more if I can find something... I have a dark wood headboard ... the following photos are pillows I chose but maybe its too much purple? (I shop at Amazon.ca, Wayfair, etsy... bed bath and beyond... Its hard to get something to contrast...

I was thinking of these but thought it might be too much purple...

Beth H. :

golden, she posted a pic of them for you!

• niccidhg

Here it is. Sorry, I wasn’t sure for which pillows you were trying to find the source. I posted this up - thread. Note it comes in 16, 18, 20 and 24” sizes.

Help finding bedding!! Went from 2 Bedroom Apt to 5 Bedroom House

I love the combination of the toile and the stripe - very charming. Charmean has some great inspirational ideas. Here is another idea to consider... a fabric that has a linen look to it with a piping in either the the toile or a similar stripe (or both)... one on the duvet, the other on pillows.

Need help with decorative pillows for guest bedroom

I think I would let the leopard pillow keep center stage. But, you could add some other solid(-ish) pillows as accent colors. I think, really, almost any other color would go- as the colors you have are pretty neutral right now. Is there anything else in the room you would to play up? Ultimately, I don't think I would add another pattern. I would add pillows with a contrasting inset banding or piping. The pillow samples pictures below show the general idea about banding/piping- not fabric choice or size. I would keep the banding a solid fabric Good luck! And, have fun, its a guest room after all!

HELP converting 1 bedroom to 2 Bedroom... condo

You can probably get more money from a two bedroom if it is an actual two bedroom, and not a sliver of a second bedroom or windowless. The investment may not be worth it. I think advertising the solarium would be helpful. Then upgrade what you have so you can increase the price by offering a better quality of life and a richer looking lifestyle in the one bedroom.

Need Help: Turn Master Bedroom into a ZEN Bedroom!

Everything matches. I'd change out one of the night stands for a ceramic garden stool in a green or yellow, the bedding for pure white, two bolsters, two bed pillows, the pillows to lie flat, with the bolsters in front of them. The bolsters can be a different but natural color, even a woven reed or paper material. A solid color throw for the foot of the bed, a reclaimed wood bench about the same length as the foot of the bed. The art is where you can save money! Baskets, bamboo platters, metal plates, all hung and layered behind the bed. Nothing too shiny. You can collect them over time. To provide a 3D effect, use foam pieces and a glue gun to vary the depth. The platters stick out from the wall. For bedside lights, either sconces in a burnished metal, or medium sized glass base lamps. You can do the same, or different. Places like Target, World Market, Pier 1, can provide the lamps, stool and some of the platters, thrift stores for platters and baskets. The reclaimed or rustic wood bench can be found online, but you'll probably have to save for that. A silvery, soft foggy color, like Restoration Hardware Seafoam, or darker Silver Sage would look pretty on the walls. You can get small samples, and have it matched at a big box store in any other company's paint. RH paint is pricy, if you can afford it, go for it. It has a depth that other formulations may not match. We did this with a RH color, it's beautiful, but not the same. Put a plant, or bamboo stems in a vase in a corner of the room, a small table and chair if there's room. If you want zen, you can't have too much furniture. Simple, clean, serene.
  • One Devoted Dame

I've ordered from Society6, and I'd totally do it again. My only complaint is that I can't get/couldn't find Euro (26x26) size pillows. :-/

I am 100% with Tartan... There is absolutely no such thing as too much purple! lol

And I may get tomatoes thrown at me for these ideas, but oh, well.... ;-)

What do you think of a small-scale sage/beige/taupe gingham or seersucker pattern (so that it almost reads solid) with the floral? I'm also quite partial to the pintuck/pleated look (but in an actual solid, not a pattern lol). Or a large-scale diamond geometric would be very garden-trellis-like, which would look lovely, too.

That is a gorgeous bedding set Miss Goldie. I loooove watercolor. <3

• Gerry

Beverly - Chill, girl. Those hot flashes getting to you? I think the bedding is lovely. My strapping firefighter husband of 48 years spent a decade or two sleeping in my ruffled or flowery bedding. He enjoyed what was under the covers. Happy wife, happy life.

goldenbird411 thanked Gerry
  • tartanmeup

I wouldn't be overly tempted by white furniture with your new bedding, @goldenbird411. Imo, brown and lavender look sumptuous together. If my monitor is correct, the background in your bedding is off-white so staying on the warm side of the colour palette makes sense, imo. Think of a night sky or a sunset. Once you have the new bedding in your room, you'll have an easier time seeing what needs to be tweaked, if anything. For example, I'd consider brass or gold accents and ivory shades rather than white. As I said, purple is my favourite colour and I treat it as a neutral but I fear pairing it with too much white or clear colours can veer into Easter egg territory.

Wood headboard against purple wall:

The whites below aren't stark and have a lot of texture:

More colour palettes with purple.

(Still shaking my head at the grown men and flowers comment. Sheesh. Flowers are part of nature. Who said only half the population could enjoy them? Ugh. Talk about social conditioning.)

goldenbird411 thanked tartanmeup
  • goldenbird411

tartanmeup, ha ha ha.. well actually I LOVE flowers.. I always pick fabrics with flowers so I guess my husband is use to it... You should see my front garden in the summer - LOADED with flowers and COLOR! everyone knows me by the house on the corner with ALL the flowers..

My walls will probably stay the same color they are.. I just had them painted about a year ago.. its call edgecomb grey (benjamin moore)

I went and saw the bedding that I ordered online.. which I am getting on monday or tuesday.. it is a little more subtle .. basically not quite as vibrant as the monitor shows... I still liked it but I will add a throw or maybe a few pillows still... if I can find anything that looks good with it..

Gerry.. you made me laugh! :) Very true!

One Devoted Dame.. Unfortunately I don't think I can order from Society6.. (being Canadian)... I really like ordering online from amazon actually, mainly because you can actually RETURN something so easily if once you get it - it isn't quite what you expected... I am open to anything as long as its pretty :) And I so much appreciate everyones help !!

• goldenbird411

tartenmeup.. see what I mean.. I love color.. (the house photos actually look so much better in person) You can never have enough flowers :)

This was a few years ago.... Every year a do a different color theme...

• goldenbird411

Do you think I could maybe add these

Or one maybe - lol

And I DEFINITELY have to find a purple throw!

• goldenbird411

And what about this color of throw...?? I don't know how to do mock up.. wish I did... this was on amazon.. so if it really looks off I can return it.. but what do you think ... would it work?

• niccidhg

I like that throw. Pretty soft color and pattern !

goldenbird411 thanked niccidhg
  • goldenbird411

What about the pillows.. don't worry - you won't hurt my feelings... that is why I ask on here.. I cant necessarily say I will go with what people say... because I have to like it :)

But I do like honest opinions.. maybe not brutally honest - lol

I love those pillows you suggested.. I just don't think I can order from that site... And its ALWAYS nice if you can return because sometimes the monitors do not show the real color

• niccidhg

I think you should order or buy pillows you like that you can then try out on the bed, with your bedding, in the room. It’s always good to try out several choices for items that are easily returnable once you have chosen your favorite combination.

goldenbird411 thanked niccidhg
  • tartanmeup

Your flowers are gorgeous!! I envy your green thumb. I'm in Canada too. Wanna come over and do my landscaping? :P Btw, I ordered from Society6 a couple of years ago and they shipped here no problem. The throw is very pretty with a lovely pattern. I like the texture of the pillow covers you found but think you'd be better served with them in ivory. Wait until you set up your bedding. Do you have a HomeSense nearby? They often have great looking pillows at great prices. Edgecomb Grey is a lovely greige, if memory serves. Goes well with cool and warm colours.

• goldenbird411

yeah well thats the main thing.. if I can return it if it looks no good.. so I shop amazon.ca ALOT! I like to give the smaller shops business because of these horrible times we are living in... but when it comes to decorating things.. I have to be able to return them if they don't look right..

• goldenbird411

Yes I LOVE Homesense! Ok... will wait till I get the bedding.. then I will make small additions... Should get it soon! Thank you tartanmeup, Beth H, and everyone else, for all your help! So much appreciated! Where are you in Canada? Im in B.C.

• tartanmeup

I'm in Qc. Too far from your lovely climate!

Feel free to post pics once your bedding is set up. People will offer suggestions if tweaks are a good idea.

goldenbird411 thanked tartanmeup
  • goldenbird411

Absolutely will! Cheers!

• Maureen

I’d be conscious of creating an overly delicate feel with more floral, feminine, or fussy cushions. Less is more as they say and lots of cushions can also overwhelm and create a busy vs calm room; in addition to being a pain.

The layering below feels a touch more contemporary, if you want that look.

Suggested layering;

- white shams at back and your two floral in front. (Basically your picture without the mauve ones behind.)

- a green lumbar or two cushions at front - ones below are on Etsy. Also try Winners, as they have nice ones and at great prices. Oftentimes there are sets sold in the $30-40 range. May have to go more than once, but inventory changes often.

- white quilted throw on bottom and turn down comforter a bit. I bought this Simons throw in link and really like it, but you can easily find one anywhere.

https://m.simons.ca/en/decor/throws/textured-knit-throw-130-x-150-cm--6798-4192200?colourId=6&catId=6775

If adding art, modern botanicals is one idea and skip purple/mauve.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/530106429/eucalyptus-branch-poster-watercolour?epik=dj0yJnU9ZFBRYmgtaEJlUFZsdkhvSzZNbkZPZzU4VmdCd2NkMTcmcD0wJm49VEFycDhhejFtYVZMb2NzaTZJdENQZyZ0PUFBQUFBR0JuS2lJ

goldenbird411 thanked Maureen
  • Seajay Sparkles

I know I’m late to the party but I threw this pillow on the bed. I lie a green with the bedding too. I’m in the market for a Queen coverlet set so I’ll give society6 a try.

goldenbird411 thanked Seajay Sparkles
  • goldenbird411

Seajay.. thats looks beautiful... I might have to try it myself! Thanks for the mock photo.. wish I knew how to do that.. would definitely help me out alot!

• goldenbird411

Maureen.. I like the 2nd bedding set.. I will look at that for sure if this doesn't work out! Very pretty!

• Maureen

It’s not the bedding so much..it’s the layering and your set will feel the same if you head towards a more simplified version of layering - that was what I was hoping to convey. It‘s good to also experiment by bringing home and testing. Good luck and have fun choosing.

goldenbird411 thanked Maureen
  • goldenbird411

Oh sorry.. I see what your saying now.. Thank you Maureen!

• goldenbird411

Would you choose white sheets or lavender?

• Maureen

Your bedding is nice! Just know when to stop, so as not to overdo. White sheets for a fresh, modern look.

goldenbird411 thanked Maureen
  • goldenbird411

Absolutely.. I will do my best :) Once I get the bedding I will start from there..

• One Devoted Dame

Miss Goldie, I really like the rosette-textured pillows you showed us, up thread! I loooove having a garden texture (leaves or blooms) in a flower bed. I have 3 "leafy" textured pillows on mine. :-D

[My bed is also purple -- a rich plum -- with ivory, sage & pale grass green, terracotta, and a bit of metallic gold accents.]

Edited to add: Oh, and I have white sheets, for what it's worth, lol. I don't think you can go wrong with white sheets. Lavender would be super pretty, too, because your comforter/duvet has a white/ivory background, so lavender would provide a bit of contrast. Whatever your preference. <3 Heck, I apparently like to drive myself absolutely insane and I *might* try to find green sheets that compliment it. (Before, of course, giving up and just going with white. lol)

I feel like I'm enabling a fellow flower addict to bring her garden inside the house. :-O ;-)

She is often quoted as saying this, but St. Mother Teresa of Calcutta said something along the lines of, "How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers." That is MY house, right there!!! (Literally, in both senses, lol.)

Edited again and then I promise to let someone else post lol:

I’m in the market for a Queen coverlet set so I’ll give society6 a try.

My only disappointment with my daughter's society6 duvet is that it's only printed on one side (thank goodness she chose a white design with raspberry roses, and not a dark base color). :-/ The pillows are double sided, though.

• goldenbird411

One Devoted..... yeah my husband is use to the fact everything I pick has flowers on it... its just me :) Could be worse I guess - lol

• goldenbird411

I received my bedding today.. I do find the large euro pillows kind of disappear against the dark wood... Next I will order my throw...One day I would love to get one of those tufted beige headboards..

• niccidhg

Beautiful . I agree that the Euros disappear a bit. Maybe you could try centering them in front of each floral sham ( where they are now ) and just leaving the headboard open.

goldenbird411 thanked niccidhg
  • One Devoted Dame

Do King beds ever have 3 Euro pillows across the back? I have a Queen, and so I only have 2, but my husband wants to upgrade to a King, and I was thinking I needed 3. Maybe Miss Goldie needs 3, as well...?

• goldenbird411

One Devoted Dame.. I thought about that for sure.. buying another Euro.. it definitely needs it.. (a King) King beds are great... i have lots of room now! except it does take up the whole room :)

Niccidhg.. I moved the pillows as you suggested.. do you like that better?

• niccidhg

Can you try centering each Euro with its corresponding floral sham ? Then still keep the lumbar in the center. Another idea - you could have a white flange trim piece ( maybe even with a small lavender on white Greek key or floral border design ) applied around the perimeter of the Euros. That way they would show up more at the headboard.

goldenbird411 thanked niccidhg
  • goldenbird411

I think it looked a little weird in the total middle of the floral sham... so next photo I moved them in a bit... Maybe I need to get one more large Euro.. and then 2 more for the front of the floral shams.. Kind of like you found at society 6? White greek key? don't know what that is?

• niccidhg

Golden bird, Greek key is just a kind of pattern. Here are some examples. My thought was to add a flange border around the euros that would have white with lavender to make them show up against the darker headboard. Here are some examples ( not quite the right color maybe ) of other trims just to give the idea. You could probably find some at JoAnn Fabric or whichever fabric store is in your area. It was just a thought , but you may not want to go to that length or expense. Notice how the white tags on your euros are showing up against the headboard.

goldenbird411 thanked niccidhg
  • goldenbird411

Well to be honest.. I don't mind the euros in front... And yeah.. I wouldn't want to pick something and add it on and it doesn't look good.. (I have a hard enough time picking pillows - lol)

• tartanmeup

Happy to see you received your bedding set, @goldenbird411. Are you pleased with it? In terms of quality and feel of fabric? The colours are nice on my monitor. As I said, I'm no pillow expert (allergies force us to limit them in our house) but in the first pic you shared, the pillows looked to be arranged vertically, each standing up on the bed. In your pics, they seem to be at an angle. That might make a difference? I also agree with One Devoted Dame that you might need 3 Euros to span the width of your King bed to get the look. That said, my dust mite allergy is reminding me that it's best to limit dust catchers in a bedroom and I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest you replace your flower arrangement with simpler art above the bed. :)

• goldenbird411

Yes I like it... I guess Im not blown away.. but I find it really hard to find something i REALLY LOVE! but I like it alot better than the taupe/brown I had before... it will be alright for a few years... Yes I should move that flower arrangement.. but I like it and I would hate to throw it under the house... I really liked the purple art work Beth H posted above.. so maybe I will look for something to replace it but I would like to use the floral arrangement somewhere... The pillows are sitting as they should be...as far as I know... I will try and sit them more upright... I can absolutely buy another euro pillow... but then I think I need color in front of the florals... 2 pillows at least :) with the one smaller rectangular one in the very front.. Maybe I will look at society 6.. (the pillows that niccidhg posted) but I hope the colors are, as they are, on the screen.. they look nice and work well on the screen anyways.. :) (the photo Seajay posted looked really nice)

• goldenbird411

hmm... I just had a look at purchasing those 2 pillows and with shipping it was 74.00 (U.S. funds)... to the Canadian peso on top of that... I might have to keep looking.. thats a bit expensive... so that would cost me 100 bucks Canadian.. (and I cant return them I if they don't look right)

That throw blanket I was looking at the size is 50 x 60"... is that big enough do you think to just put on the corner cross wise... all the other sizes are sold out..

• tartanmeup

Totally understand your reticence at ordering from the American site. With the exchange, shipping and possible duties, it's not often worth our Canadian while. :/ Usually, our best bet for affordable cushions is HomeSense. I think Maureen linked to Simons for a throw? Their linens are good quality and returns are easy. There's also The Bay. Shipping is free after a certain amount, if memory serves. Returns are easy and they're always having flash sales. If you buy something on clearance though make sure it's returnable though. I've seen some clearance stuff mark final sale and non-returnable.

As you know, I like the idea of purple with warm colours so here's an affordable pillow from The Bay. Gold and ivory.

They also have this soft green one in linen from GlucksteinHome on clearance. This green might be too pastel-y but linen would be an interesting texture to add to your mix.

A bright green (too bright?) lumbar... The grid pattern adds interest. Gouchee is a local make. I see their stuff on Wayfair as well. No clue of quality.

I prefer this ivory one... Flash sale today.

Btw, I was culling my books and decor magazines this weekend and come across a Canadian House & Home with one of my favourite bedrooms on the cover. Love how the warm neutrals ground the purples, blues and green here.

ETA: I found this pillow cover one at Walmart online on sale. Similar to the the first one you posted but the purple is more subtle. I've had good luck once with throw pillows in store at Walmart. Never ordered their decor stuff online though and find their site tiresome with everything "almost sold out!". But still, might be worth a look?

Also, when looking at cushions online, don't forget to check that they include the inserts as well. So often, the price is just for the covers.

goldenbird411 thanked tartanmeup
  • One Devoted Dame

I do find the large euro pillows kind of disappear against the dark wood... [....] One day I would love to get one of those tufted beige headboards..

A beige headboard instantly solves this problem. I'd pick your bedding based on the overall "final" bed you want. :-)

Yes I like it... I guess Im not blown away.. but I find it really hard to find something i REALLY LOVE!

I'm the same way! My bedding is collected from 6 different lines/companies, and I have a "Spring" bed (quilt) and a "Winter" bed (duvet), where only 2 shams are common to both. (And I have 9 decorative pillows total, plus 4 sleeping pillows and 1 body pillow.)

Take a fabric tape measure and drape it how you want the throw to be, at the corner, at 60" long. See how you like it.

• tartanmeup

Great advice from @One Devoted Dame above. The beige headboard though: you might find it blends into your wall too much? I mean, if you're not finding enough contrast between the purple and brown headboard now. Really depends on how much contrast you like and how it all feels in the room for you. There's always more than one way to decorate a room to please us.

For the pillows on the bed, I think you need to play around the arrangement to find something that pleases your eye. I'm seeing a lot of different configurations in decor magazines nowadays. I mean, is a visible headboard law? ;-) See below for ideas.

Matching lumbars in the front:

goldenbird411 thanked tartanmeup
  • goldenbird411

Do you think it would look weird with a beige tufted headboard and the wood frame all around... along with the wood tables and dresser?

• goldenbird411

tartanmeup.... I like the first pillow! I will try and find that at the bay... at least I can return it if it doesn't look good... I also search amazon.ca.. as I have returned a number of things with no issues... I also like the longer beige/cream color pillow... I even like the 1st green ones you posted.. (the soft green) but would that color go with the bed do you think? EDIT... actually I don't think that shade of green would work...

The only thing is with the dandelion cushion.. I think I would have to put them in front of the purple euro? Do you think? I see it online there at the bay and it is reasonable for sure...

By the way... THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP, TIME AND ADVICE!

I love home sense... but its kind of hit and miss..

• goldenbird411

Another thing I would like to get is some sort of draperies.. sheers.. for our master bedroom... Should I go with white??? found these on home depot site.. home depot.ca

When I order drapes for that area.. would I make sure the draperies go from the window (side) to the middle of the wall... or all the way over to the wall end? I was thinking mid wall..?

At some point I would like to put a cushion and pillows on the window bench

do you think this would work ok? .. this is very close to my wall color..

Or this..

Would white be ok.. these ones have leaves on them.. I thought they were pretty... unfortunately I cant make them bigger to see..

• One Devoted Dame

Another thing I would like to get is some sort of draperies.. sheers.. for our master bedroom... Should I go with white???

I love sheers. I especially love embroidered sheers. White or Ivory, with beige/taupe/muted gold embroidery would be really pretty!

If you go with sheers, buy an extra panel (or two) for a custom accent pillow or center Euro Sham.

I'd do mid-wall. I like having a bit of breathing room around curtains.

That sounds great!

goldenbird411 thanked One Devoted Dame
  • tartanmeup

"Do you think it would look weird with a beige tufted headboard and the wood frame all around... along with the wood tables and dresser?"

No, I don't think it would look weird to have that kind of headboard. You'd be replacing your headboard only or the whole bedframe? It all depends on your budget. If you have another bed in mind, I agree with One Devoted Dame, dress your bed for your dream bed.

As for the pillows online, the colours are difficult to trust. Between photos being inaccurate and our monitors not rendering colours 100%, it's not easy to shop online for decor. Agree that HomeSense is hit or miss, from store to store also, and this pandemic is not the best time to pop in there every couple of days to check inventory! :/

• niccidhg

I just reread upthread because I thought I missed something about getting a new bed , haha. Of course the purple euros would look nice with, and show up against , an upholstered, beige headboard ! It’s quite a stretch though to go from a new bedding question to suggesting a whole new bed. Is that something you are considering, golden bird ? I just assumed that this IS your “ final” headboard, since it is such a nice bed and because you did not mention anything about the furniture itself. I based my suggestions accordingly. Now, I am curious. Would you please clarify ?

• tartanmeup

Further to @niccidhg's comment and the idea of a beige headboard, I just want to point out that it's a lot easier to change Euro pillows than a bed. ;-)

• goldenbird411

niceidhg... "I just assumed that this IS your “ final” headboard, since it is such a nice bed and because you did not mention anything about the furniture itself. I based my suggestions accordingly. Now, I am curious. Would you please clarify ?"

I am just throwing that around.. I might get it in a few years... not now... and who knows, to be honest, by then I could have different bedding or the padded tufted head board would be out of style... it was just a thought.. cause I do like them and I think you can buy JUST a HEADBOARD for between 400 - 900 ... and up Im sure...

Tartanmeup.(.I always liked the tufted headboards and they seemed to come out with that RIGHT after I bought the sleigh bed.).. IF i bought a headboard.. it would JUST BE a head board.. I just wondered if it would look odd with a wood frame.. cause I know now a days people do mis-match but I tried to find photos of such a thing on pinterest but didn't see anything.. so maybe its not normal - lol And absolutely its easier to change pillows .. actually its easier to change bedding in the end... but I like what I have and will stick with it ... I ironed it all up cause I hate wrinkled bedding... it looks fresh anyways :)

I did buy the lavender pillow covers at the very top.. the very first ones I posted with the bed... because I decided to buy one more euro... so I have 3 in the back... because its a king... I need the 3rd.... And with pillow covers I can always change them up easy enough... so I bought the 2 lavender to put in front of the floral... and I also bought the floral covers too.. I am going to add one of those between the two lavenders.. so I will have 3 pillows in front of the floral that come with the set.. and I will put back the long purple one that comes with the euros... (in the very front) the floral ones who knows when I will get them.. it said between april 30 - may something..

I get the covers (lavender) today... and the inserts tomorrow..