Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison_gulka

Kitchen with 90s colors baked in

Gardengnome
3 years ago

Need some help with some quick/low cost updates to my kitchen. First two photos are current, last one is a virtual trial of some updates. The materials are decent quality but the colors were obviously chosen in the 90s- tile floors with pink/beige hues, dark green granite/marble countertops, natural ash cabinets. DH isn’t willing to let me paint cabinets, and we don’t have the budget to replace floor or countertops. I may be able to convince him to let me paint the island. I’m thinking of painting the walls white and replacing the dark green backsplash with white, painting the dark green lower “hutch”... is there anything else I should do or can you think of any alternative ideas? DIY and low cost is best.

Comments (29)

• Sherry Brighton
    3 years ago

I like the dark green on the hutch. I would lighten the backsplash, paint the island and walls. Leave the fridge surround alone. It sticks out like a sore thumb painted white.

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

I like where you are taking this! The white works on everything

• sunfeather
    3 years ago

I like your ideas, too. The beam is cool Maybe a simpler tile on the backsplash - I see your "Farmhouse" sign, so maybe go more toward that if it works with the rest of your house. I've seen painted/distressed pressed tin on kitchen islands that looked nice. Different window coverings with a valance at the top to raise the height might be an option. Removing things from the top of cabinets and frig would make the room look more open. The gray looks good on the hutch and island. Would painting the barstools make a difference - maybe when you've decided about everything else but I like them now with your cabinets.

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

You can also replace the existing window coverings with white roman shades. And another way to pull together the different cabinetry and to use same hardware(knobs) something in urban farmhouse style

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

Or between the window and the last cabinet. It will draw the attention to the hutch defining it more as a separate area

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

You can hang a plug in light above each of the 2 windows and route the cords nicely by the window frame to plug them in behind the fridge.

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

And fill up the awkard space above the fridge with a storage basket and some plants(real or artificial, up to you)

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

Or create a farmhouse vignete styling with some of your existing favourite items

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

If possible paint the fridge surround in Black to pull it all together( adding black accents such as fridge surround, lamps and possible clock will offset the boldness of the dark counters)

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

And I would not shy away from an even bolder turquoise for the island for a more modern look even though I would have to see it next to the countertop color, the rug you chose is great and would pull it all together

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I would leave the hutch or whatever it is called, the dark green. Do not paint the thing around the top of frig, leave it the wood color. You could also paint the island the same dark green. Painting the backsplash is ok. The white on the walls is fine. Once you get it all done, get a couple of area rugs (easily cleanable kind) to put on the floor, so not so much of it shows, because, the floor is actually the most dated thing in the kitchen, and it really doesnt go with anything there.

• Gardengnome
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I agree with a subway tile backsplash, updated black hardware and accents (I like the light idea). I also agree with hiding/removing cabinet-top clutter, though the stuff on top of the fridge is all practical (no other cabinet can fit cereal boxes or cutting boards so they’re up there). But maybe I can hide them somehow. I really hate the floor and it makes design hard, so I do agree that I can try to pull it together with a rug. Unfortunately the house is pretty open-plan and this flooring extends into the adjacent entryway area. There’s no way to hide it all, just struggling to embrace it. I did buy some tinted Briwax (Tudor brown) and was considering tinting the cabinets a darker, less yellow color. Debating whether it’s worth trying on a spare floor tile too. The house is rustic overall so I think some farmhouse/industrial accents would work well. And plants!

• Gardengnome
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thoughts on shade of white? I was thinking about SW Frosty White.

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

You can keep all the cereal boxes in a basket or wooden tray on top of the fridge, and add the plant on the side

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

For the floor use a combination of carpets. The runner you pictured is perfect in terms of color. The rugs deemed outdoor rugs are usually easier to clean as the fiber doesnt stain(polypropelene or polyester).

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

The other option for a floor covering could be to play on the black and white color combo and select a vinyl covering/mat mimicking the cement tiles.

https://www.wayfair.ca/rugs/pdp/canora-grey-18x42-non-slip-designer-kitchen-mat-c002014828.html

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

Or something incorporating teal https://locusvie.ca/products/viladomat-floor-mat

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

The links are in Canadian dollars if in the US your cost will be less

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

I think the wood should stay as is, its highly unlikely you will like it more if a different shade plus you may have to sand before Briwax...LOTS of work for very little return

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

The SW Frosty white is a muddy white with taupe undertones. I would look for more of a crisp white

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

Something like Benjamin Moore Simply white, it is still a warm white without being too yellow but also crisp without being to blue/stark

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

Or Benjamin Moore White Dove

• Gardengnome
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LilDesignWorks thanks for the suggestions! I’m not sure I’m crazy about the black/white combo for a floor covering over our tile, but I’ll play around with it. I’m going to try reorganizing our cabinets so they can fit more and less ends up on top, and hide other things with baskets. The cabinets are actually not “sealed” in the traditional way, they feel like bare wood and we were instructed by the previous owner to use an oil like boiled linseed to maintain them. I’ll definitely start with the walls, window treatments, pulls, lighting, clutter, and floor coverings and see where to go from there. Thanks for the tips on whites too. We have White Dove on our exterior trim and there it reads very slightly yellow or off-white to me. I want to coordinate with the cabinets and floor without making things look more yellow/beige.

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

I think you are on the right track! Good luck, your place will look beautiful:)