Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meghang715

Would you make changes to this Kitchen Layout?

We had only lived in our home for about 4 months when we discovered the kitchen sink was leaking (under the cabinet) and now we have to replace all of the hardwood through our main floor and remodel the kitchen. In the short time we lived here, we discovered some things about the original layout that didn't work well, so we have tried to take that into account. I have renderings, but the cabinet maker didn't understand the 2 island concept at first, so ignore the benches concept.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Meghan Goodman Interior Design
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is my inspiration kitchen

My work: Shinglestyle beach house · More Info

And these are photos of the kitchen from the listing

We really didn't like that the left swing fridge was far away from the breakfast table and the wolf gas range top didn't have any venting. The window about the sink is too close to the counter, so I was constantly mopping water off the window sill. I am planning on installing a Kraus 45" Workstation sink and an Aga 48" Induction range

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I don't quite understand the low drawers between the 2 islands. Are they suppose to be benches? Also I like to have some counter top close to the oven to put your hot meal quickly on a counter.

• PRO
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh, no, the benches were a mistake. Look at the third drawing where you can see that it is two islands. There will be a 48'" range with three ovens and it has 9' on one side and 18" on the other. The wall oven is just there because we already have it and my husband doesn't like microwaves below counters. I would only use that wall oven when I am doing massive amounts of baking.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

where do the two doors on the right lead to? I assume you cook a lot. So the ?main fridge? right next to your cooking stack would be a problem. too much activity w frequency of visits to fridge and cook or others trying to use convection oven microwave and regular oven right there. And where do you get dishes considering so few drawers on the back wall and thats where the food is stored [fridge] and [ pantry?maybe] off to the right through the door. It's a weird work triangle. Im not convinced. Two islands is fine ...and the offset area on the right w small sink and secondary fridge is okay ......I think some WORK on the WORK triangle would help. The window on the one main wall is a bit of an issue...but you want that I'm sure ....you don't really have a 2nd wall to employ..... So maybe some cooking appliances should go under counter.......look at different spots.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

In that layout I'd move the sink and DW to the right, to provide a wider prep space to the left of the sink.

Actually, I'd keep the perimeter sink under the window, with DW to the left, and use a prep sink on the island. Store dishes in drawers on the island across from the DW.

NKBA guidelines

New to Kitchens? Read me first.

• PRO
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Herbflavor, yes, I cook a lot. The door leads to a porch and the opening goes to the dining room.
    My husband is adamantly against the microwave below the counter so I don’t know where else it could go.

• PRO
    Original Author
    2 years ago

mama goose, if I kept the sink in the back wall I would need to change out the window, which I could do. But then my back is always to the room, both cooking and cleaning.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

door to porch with cooking surface right there??? I think I'd consider swapping fridge and range/hood...and get french door style fridge by the way. Place the tiny sink closer to secondary fridge or in more forward island. then with cooking surface to left of window couldn't the oven placed lower also allow counter there and microwave over to the side in a wall cabinet next to dining room passage...fairly close to fridge if you move it ..... as items go from fridge or freezer to mwave typically. looks like those passages to porch and dining room are just a fact..... but the cooking surface is a bit dangerous as opposed to microwave on that side area of kitchen . Sorry he wont consider drawer unit mwave. TRADE OFFS I guess. Main sink remaining in rear position [ island or back wall ] w second sink on forward island at dining room end isn't duplication. they'll both get used . looks like you have range and a second ?convection oven? if the microwave goes into a wall cab....... could he agree to the second oven under counter ? You folks are "appliance heavy" given the limits on wall space and his preferences.

• territheresa
    2 years ago

What's happening with the arch? It looks off along with its trim. I would square it off like the rest of the door openings.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

noting triple bowl sink? maybe double bowl with large /small proportions would be better if you dont want large single bowl. check out workstation sinks by kohler etc. the three bowl as shown leaves you w 3 undersized bowls.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The window about the sink is too close to the counter... It looks as if the existing sink is too close to the window--in both pics the front rail looks too deep, which has also probably been harder on your back than necessary. We spend more time prepping than cleaning (or cooking), so a prep sink on the island means most of your time will still be spent facing the room, which means less activity (and less mess) at the clean-up sink. A 30" clean-up sink and an 18" prep sink will be less expensive than the Kraus 45" work-station sink. But, work-station sinks are great when there is space for only one sink and multiple cooks/helpers--especially if you use two faucets--and if you have your heart set on one, will also work in this kitchen. (Search for pics of scrappy45's kitchen with two faucet set-up.)

I agree with herbflavor that the bar sink, and cabinets above, should be centered on that wall. It looks as if the door from the exterior is far enough away from the range, and traffic will head away from the range, to the right. Directing traffic might work better if the door swing is changed. I like that the main fridge is near the breakfast area and convenient to the living/family room.

• PRO
    Original Author
    2 years ago

mama goose, look at the 3rd rendering. It is the most updated. It has the correct islands and and bar configuration.

• PRO
    Original Author
    2 years ago

territheresa, that is the plan. There are lots of interesting choices in this house. I will probably make that opening narrower as well.

• PRO
    Original Author
    2 years ago

herbflavor, that sink is just a placeholder. I am planning on the Kraus 45” workstation sink.
    We don’t actually use that door to the porch. We have a covered deck on the back and it has french doors just beyond the breakfast nook.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

unused door left on that sidewall? I can think of many more advantageous ways to use those inches for your kitchen. Just an observation.

• PRO
    Original Author
    2 years ago

herbflavor, what would you do? I would love to see your suggestions!

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

measure the inches from back wall [hood and window wall] to side of dining passage. It looks like 6-7 feet to work with if door were removed .... can you measure that?

• PRO
    Original Author
    2 years ago