Software
Houzz Logo Print
shortped

Foyer...what do you think?

13 years ago
If you guys remember, I painted LR SW Persimmon and DR SW Shagreen. Foyer is SW cupola yellow. Do you think we should add this chair rail and wallpaper to tie areas together? Fabricin window is not being used. These pillows are for LR.

Comments (15)

  • 13 years ago
    Is that chair rail lower than normal ? I agree, no more flowers.
  • 13 years ago
    remember the saying 'less is more" good luck
  • 13 years ago
    I only intend to use the paper in the foyer on the bottom. I thought it would help tie colors together. The part up the stairs will just be the yellow paint.
  • 13 years ago
    What fabric to put on the antique settee seen in photo? Art and mirror may not be here....I have eclectic taste and like things from many eras, so will be mixing things up. Debating about putting some blue touches in decor in LR and DR as well as the colors seen.
  • 13 years ago
    im not a big fan of yellow although softer tones are ok...how bout plain material on chair and add cushion with colours to try it in
  • 13 years ago
    remember also wot the mirror reflexs when placing it on wall...i ment tie in not try oops
  • 13 years ago
    keep it simple. Remember, keep your background neutral and simple and you can add design and accents in pillows, paintings etc.. I'm not a fan of wall paper or wall additions. Simplicity is so much more elegant an classy
  • 13 years ago
    I like the wall paper.
    I love the wall colours.
    I like flowers.

    But I agree with the others, no more wall paper in other rooms. I don't think you need it to tie things in. I think the other things (furniture, accents, etc) will tie things in for you.

    I'm not sure I would introduce blue. For reasons I can't explain, 3 colours work but you bring in a fourth and it loses some of it's wow factor. Sadly I personally made a mistake with making a quilt and a bedroom decor...three is best!
    Plus different shades of the three can work too, so not that restricting...

    Lovely job! Looking forward to seeing end product!
  • 13 years ago
    The chair rail is too low and it makes the paper look like a wide border instead. I would leave the chair rail out and use the floral for the curtains in the room
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks...no, I did not intend to use wallpaper anywhere but in foyer....the wallpaper has the colors in it so I thought that small amount would help tie together...what would you put on settee?
  • 13 years ago
    The chair rail is at the standard ht, but I think because the pic is looking down and it has high baseboard that it looks low....maybe we should raise it above standard.
  • 13 years ago
    I think if it is standard height it must be the angle of the photo. It looks like it's only 2 or 2.5 ft off the ground.
    Perhaps to give us a better sense you could put a standard kitchen type chair in front of it and retake the picture?

    If I have understood correctly, the whole front entry is mainly the golden yellow...so Imight go more subdued for settee unless you are going for bold contrast (but I get the sense that is _not_ your goal).
    What is the colour in the wall paper? And is the settee backing up against the wall paper? Are you getting a new one or re-uphostering the one we can see the arm rest of?

    cheers.
  • 13 years ago
    Standard is 32 inches for an 8 foot ceiling....our ceiling ht is 8'4" so we went 33 inches off the floor. We want to reupholster the Victorian settee in the pic.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think your chair rail looks low because of the height of the base boards. I love wall paper so I would cover the whole foyer wall(s) with it and cover the settee with a natural linen to match the wall paper. Don't be afraid to use flowers elsewhere as accents.