Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faaria_chaudhry

Showerhead dilemma with contractor

Faaria Chaudhry
2 years ago

Hi All - really looking for some help here! First time building, specified rain shower head and a hand held shower in two bathrooms. Contractor only did the rain assuring us hand held would be no problem.....and forgot about it.

We are now 30 days out and they are suggesting we just get a rain shower head with a pipe because it would take tearing out the wall to get another water line in, etc.....the cost estimate has been $10k.....so just wanting to know whether anyone has experience in this type of thing? Whether I'm better off waiting to get it done privately.

please help!

Comments (13)

• Helen
    2 years ago

What does your contract say in terms of specifications.

Installing another fixture is a huge undertaking because it will destroy the waterproofing of the shower. You need to settle the matter with your contractor because having it done "privately" is not going to be inexpensive.

I recently remodeled and there are errors that are acceptable and ones that aren't. For example, I had wanted the kind of drain that is covered with tile so it looks invisible but when the rough was installed, they had installed the wrong kind of drain so I had to accept that I was getting a "normal" drain cover - I did get a gorgeous designer one :-). But changing the plumbing would have been a HUGE undertaking at that point and simply wasn't worth it for a different aesthetic style of drain cover.

The HVAC people installed the thermostat on the living room wall instead of where I had requested it. They changed it because it was a relatively easy fix - moving it and fixing the wall and I really didn't want the thermostat in the living room.

Your issue is a big one because it impacts the functionality of the shower and is expensive to remedy. I don't know if it is $10,000 but between the new tiles AND the new waterproofing it is major. On the other hand, NOT having a hand held but only having a rain shower is really terrible and can't be remedied. If you had a standard fixture you could probably just turn it into a multifunctional shower head but I don't think that is possible with a rain shower style.

Faaria Chaudhry thanked Helen
  • chiflipper
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If both are specified in the contract/drawings I would insist both showers be "gutted to the studs" and built as specified. Don't accept a "partial fix" or you'll be back here in a few years with leakage issues. The entire cost of doing so is on the CG. IMO Rain-heads are an "extra", not a substitute for a proper showerhead.

Faaria Chaudhry thanked chiflipper
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

The feasibility of retrofitting depends completely on the way the shower was built and accessibility. A decent plumber could probably retrofit an additional waterproof shower for a lot less than 10K.

Faaria Chaudhry thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    2 years ago

Were there drawings of the shower to show the placement of these elements? If you have nothing in writing that you signed off on, you're out of luck I'm afraid. If you do have either plans or a contract with specific features outlined, it's on the contractor to fix.

Faaria Chaudhry thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Gayle
    2 years ago

I too wanted the fixed and separate hand held when they switched my tub/shower combo to shower only. The combos are a pain to adjust when you are short. To have the plumbing done was about 1 k. It was one of my few splurges. Love it. There is no comparison to the combo spray heads.

Faaria Chaudhry thanked Gayle
  • ILoveRed
    2 years ago

You know I would give up a tray ceiling in a heartbeat but a handheld showerhead...nope. This would be a non-negotiable for me if, and I say if you are entitled to have this.

if it’s in writing anywhere don’t give in. It’s essential for properly cleaning the shower and for showering a loved one if you are ever in that position.

Faaria Chaudhry thanked ILoveRed
  • Faaria Chaudhry
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately all correspondence regarding the handheld was conveniently via email and not added to the change orders so it's not "official". I have gone back and forth with the construction company as I have asked about this consistently since last November before framing went up and at this point their only fix is to change the shower head to have a hose.

Although not what I want sounds like I'm out of options as it wasn't included in the official contract.

• Helen
    2 years ago

This is not intended as legal advice per se but in the circumstances email would generally be considered to be valid proof that both parties to a contract were aware and had agreed to the change.

I did a major remodel and although I had the initial contract with specifications, there were things that arose over the course of the remodel which were handled with an email.

In the circumstances you outlined, this wasn't even a change - it was part of the initial design and the GC had knowledge of this. You have the email exchange which would evidence this. But with any legal matter, god is in the details so the exchange and what was said would be critical in terms of a legal analysis so I am just stating general legal contract principles in the US.

• dani_m08
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I just wanted to share a little research that I’ve done on the last few days regarding handheld shower heads because this may be an option for you. People add handheld shower heads to existing showers all the time. Assuming that your rain shower head’s connection comes out of the wall vs. out of the ceiling (my understanding is that they are typically placed on the ceiling only when it’s a secondary shower head - but I may be wrong), there are a few different ways to do this.

1. The least expensive option: It is accomplished by simply adding an external diverter on the existing shower head.

The external diverter is very inexpensive (many options - I‘m posting a photo of one by Delta because it’s recommended by plumbers - it’s around $18) - and simply is added to the fitting for the rain shower head. You can then mount the handheld up by the existing shower head or place it lower on the wall like below:

2. Kohler hydrorail:

This is around $350 (I think they have different styles - they also just sell the rail so you can add whichever brand/style of fixed shower head + handheld shower head). It is used to retrofit a regular shower head system. The water flows out of the connection up at the top. The diverter is on the bottom of the bar. The water is turned on/off through a separate valve - you would just use your current valve trim to do this.

3. Most expensive option (this one is manufactured by Grohe - but there are other brands).

This will require the valve inside your wall to be switched - unless you find one that is compatible with the brand of valve/trim kit that is currently installed. Delta/Brizo use universal rough-in valves - they make it easy to switch out the external trim valves so you can update the “pretty” parts of your shower without changing anything behind the wall - so long as the new trim is made by Delta/Brizo. I think other brands like Koehler/Moen/Grohe have certain rough-in valves that work with specific trim valves - you’d have to ask a plumber. I‘m using Brizo for my master bathroom and Delta in another bathroom that I’m currently renovating for this reason + their valves are HIGHLY recommended by plumbers for reliability. If your current rough-in valve manufacturer doesn’t offer something like the photo below, you can still have this installed but it will cost a bit more (nowhere near $10,000!) I assume that there is access from behind your shower wall in another room through an actual access panel OR drywall in order for a new valve to be installed. If there isn’t, this can be a problem in the future if/when you have any plumbing issues. If you choose this option, you can add a permanent access panel behind it (I have a permanent access panel for the shower in my master bathroom located on wall in the master bedroom closet)- or if it’s in a visible area, the drywall can just be patched (ex - shower valve in hall bathroom that’s being renovated has access through daughter’s bedroom - but it’s on her wall where a permanent panel wouldn‘t look good):

The water flows through the lower part of the bar where the water is turned on and off unlike in the Koehler system in the above photo.

There are ways to add the systems shown in options 2 and 3 without compromising your waterproofing system (I’ve verified this with plumber, tile setter, and GC).

I don’t know what your contract provides - but if the handheld shower head is part of the scope of work to be completed, adding one is the GC’s issue/expense. You could still offer either option 2 or 3 above - and upgrade your current shower fixtures as an added perk - as a way to settle this at a much reduced cost vs. ripping things out!

• MizLizzie
    2 years ago

A Kohler Hydrorail is a great option — again, if your showerhead comes out of the wall. I have installed them and actually prefer the look, which can lean traditional or modern. Pressure is good, even when running both heads. A Hydrorail will work with any valve, because the valve isn’t accessed in any way. You just need one screw into your tile, IIRC.

• dani_m08
    2 years ago

I actually am an attorney- and as has been pointed out - email correspondence can be admitted as evidence in a court proceeding. Also, texts are both discoverable in a request for production of documents + may be introduced as evidence at trial. Contracts can be formed through the use of email/texts. You may have some luck gathering evidence this way without your GC becoming suspicious.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

Your contractor messed up, and is trying to get you to accept the screwup by claiming it would cost a fortune to plumb it the way you want (which I suspect is total baloney). Gather your evidence, insist he do it right, and don't let him roll over you.