Software
Houzz Logo Print
karinpt

Magic Eraser made shiny spots on Kitchen Craft thermofoil

5 years ago

My refrigerator has Kitchen Craft thermofoil antique white panels to match the kitchen cabinets. My husband had taped notes on the panel and the Sharpie bled through very slightly onto the panel. I used a Magic Eraser to get the black Sharpie off and afterwards saw that it made very shiny/glossy areas on the panel. It didn't seem to change the color so I am wondering if there's anything that can reduce the shine?

Also, what is very strange, we have these same cabinets in all the bathrooms and I have used Magic Eraser on those and the rest of the kitchen cabinets and dishwasher panel that should be the same finish and have never had this happen. I even used Bartender's Friend to get haircolor off a bathroom cabinet door (after first trying Magic Eraser) and you can't even see where the stain was.

Comments (11)

  • 5 years ago

    Yes, I have researched and realize that now. Really not sure what else I should have used to remove Sharpie bleed through though. Again the odd thing is that I have always used Magic Eraser on all the other cabinets with absolutely no issues.but will admit I probably rubbed too hard. It seems other posts I've read it dulls the finish but it made mine very shiny, actually looks like oily spots. Also, we replaced these SubZero panels about two years ago so maybe the finish (even though it looks the same as the rest of cabinets) is different from 20 years ago. Replacing again is not really an option, it was $2,200 although one panel wouldnt be that much..



  • 5 years ago

    Horse is out of the barn, but if anyone is looking at this in the future, or it happens again: Acetone is usually a good place to start, but tested in a non-conspicuous area first. And blot, don’t rub.

    karinpt thanked wiscokid
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I like this idea ^. Put more Magic Eraser on the inside bottom of a cabinet door and replicate the spot. Blot acetone on a clean white rag and gently swipe at it until the spot is gone. Maybe try some mineral spirits first.

    karinpt thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 5 years ago

    Joseph - I think Wiscokid was suggesting using acetone to anyone who had a future incident with Sharpie on a cabinet. I don't think acetone wiill do anything to bring back the matt finish. The Kitchen Craft cabinet company is located in Canada so I will try calling them tomorrow. The only thing I can think of is somehow exactly matching the color and sheen and have it air-brushed by someone who really knows what they are doing. There are three spots but only one looks really bad. I read that Thermofoil cabinets are usually only good for about 15 years but it seems the original ones that are 20 years old are a lot tougher than these new panels. I did test Magic Eraser on the inside door of the original cabinets before using it the first time.years ago and there was no problem so I never thought about testing it before using it on the SubZero panel that is supposed to be the same.

  • 5 years ago

    Rubbing alcohol can work well to remove permanent marker stains.

    karinpt thanked User
  • 5 years ago

    I thought about rubbing alcohol but I know that it also removes finishes and paint but now I wish I would have tested it in an inconspicuous spot. Again, I have used Magic Eraser numerous times on these cabinets with no problem so the only thing I can think of is they changed the makeup of the replacement panels.

  • 5 years ago

    Paints have gotten more "eco friendly" and much less durable during the last 20 years, so your cabinet paint is probably much more durable. Not so eco friendly when the new products force you to have to repaint much more often!

    karinpt thanked chispa
  • 4 years ago

    So I did the same thing i actually spot tested 1st and due to lighting no shiny spot was seen.


    next day....I now have 6 cabinet doors with random shiny spots only in certain light at certain angles.


    Did orginal poster find a solution?


    seems I need to use something rougher grit than the 3,000 to 5,000 grit magic eraser to try to blend


    i did make some progress Using an abrasive powder like comet by testing on a spare sample door fromt But still glossy vs fairly matte thermofoil. Sadly, they are only a year old

    karinpt thanked Jane Smith
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Replacement doors are the cure to damaging thermofoil.


  • 4 years ago

    No, Jane, I have not found a solution and the three shiny spots are still glaringly evident. I have been overwhelmed this last year with completely redoing the exterior and some interior remodeling so this hasn't been a priority.


    No response from the cabinet maker, I'm sure they would be happy if I just ordered a new panel which would be over $1000 plus shipping. I can't justify that cost for three half-inch shiny spots. The cabinet installer messed up the replacement dishwasher panel which was replaced at the same time as the SubZero panels (about two years ago) so I have that spare cabinet front from the same shipment that I can experiment on so thanks for that suggestion. It's apparent that they have changed the finish to something more fragile although it looks the same.


    I know at 20+ years a lot of people would be remodeling their kitchen but I designed the kitchen with a lot of thought at the time - antique white cabinets with blue pearl granite counters and brushed nickel hardware. The only thing I would change today are the three hanging pendants over the island which are a little small for the huge island.