Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariec_6a

Sacred plant... Is this stem rot?

mariec_6a
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Greetings everyone!

I have recently purchased these 2 Salvia Apiana aka White Sage at a local nursery. Currently sifting and getting a new batch of gritty mix ready so that I will soon be able to repot my plants in better pots and growing medium.

Background: They have spent the last 1-2 weeks in full sun on my balcony in their original nursery pot and soil. I have watered them throughly every time the soil has dried out completely and that the weight of the pot feels much lighter, which means, with the heat and wind we are currently experiencing here in Montreal (Canada), approximately once every other day. Its my first time growing this specific variety, and it means a lot to me to have this opportunity, as I greatly value and respect this plant.

Situation: I’m afraid now both plants may experience stem rot... The very bottom of the stems look and feel like wood, but the tender part is turning deep purple and black, although it doesn’t feel soft/mushy at touch, it’s quite hard. Is this normal? A few leaves are also changing color; purple hues on top and and yellow/reddish/brown on bottom of the leaves. I have attached pictures below from the 2 plants.

Thank you so much in advance for your kind help!!

-

Plant #1:

Plant #2:

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

looks like too much plant for too little pot ... meaning.. there are so many roots ... you cant keep it properly watered in the little media in there ..

have you slipped them out of the pot.. to find out whats going on in the pot ...

soooo.. get that media finished.. and repot it ... and dont put them in sun and wind on your balcony until they have settled down after the repotting ...

second plant pix.. is that a second plant wit the big seed head???

dont be scared.. nor afraid of your plants ... some define a green thumb.. as someone who has killed every plant 3 times ... or as many times as it takes to figure out how to grow them .. and a pox on those you cant.. lol ...

it might help to know where your balcony is.. z6 .. min winter temps.. covers about half the US.. big city name .... might give us a flavor of heat.. and winds ...

ken

mariec_6a thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

When you repot get the Amaranthus out of there too.

mariec_6a thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • mariec_6a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for both your replies. I was wondering also what was the big seed head, Amaranthus makes a lot of sense!

I haven’t removed them from the pot yet, I didnt want to stress out the plants until my mix was ready... but now all stems (even the babies) are turning black, but still hard to the touch :/

• mariec_6a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just took this photo

• mariec_6a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ken, I am located in Canada, in the city of Montreal. This past week was very hot (80-85) but the last 2 days have been quite chilly (45-50)

• mariec_6a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Latest update [still working on my mix] I did some research online and I find that the stems look quite similar to what they call ‘black leg’ disease.. Could it be it?

here are new pics

• mariec_6a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Anyone? :/

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Again .... the plant is fine. Just give it a bigger container. Black leg does not affect Salvias.

• mariec_6a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK On this post it mentions that it does affect certain types of salvias...

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2147048/black-stems-on-salvia

• mariec_6a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So the stems are turning black only due to needing a bigger pot? I have never heard of that before

• mariec_6a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you @floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK for clarifying and explaining to me, I appreciate it, and it makes much more sense to me now. I did not know the dark stems were natural, and to be honest I did not understand why the responses I received didnt refer about it, when to me it was the only S.O.S. haha.. I’m glad to learn that it is natural and that they arent dying like I thought they were.

Everytime I’ve seen sage plants (consciously) they were young herbs with green stems, and the pictures ive seen online of mature salvias would be with ’woody’ stems, but would not show anything similar to what i was seeing on my plants.

Is this the natural stage when the stem become ‘woody’, preceding green?

I will surely follow the great advices ive received and give my plants a more roomy pot to live in.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting