Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kay21_utahzone5

Your Fastest Growing Hostas

kay21_utahzone5b
2 years ago

My mom loves hostas and wants me to help Dad plant some big ones in their front gardens. (They have some in back but there have been some issues to those gardens not relevant to this question.) These gardens get direct morning sun that lasts possibly as long as 7 hrs in some parts.

**The problem is her health is poor and the amount of time she has to enjoy the hosta gardens is limited. I just want some to get to a good size for her while she’s here!**

I have a guacamole in a pot that I’ll take over. I’ll also take a chunk of my Blue Mouse Ears, Gramp’s (her Dad’s) Royal Standard, and some of my huge Dancing Queen in hopes it doesn’t regress too much.

Other suggestions please? Especially what are your largest fast growers?

Kay

SANDYSLOPES - (been trying to catch you). What sellers do you like and trust up your way?

Comments (20)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

Blue Angel and montana Aureomarginata are my two biggest.

tj

kay21_utahzone5b thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • kay21_utahzone5b
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Wonderful! Both have been on my own wish list but I forgot vigorous growth was one of BA’s features. Is Montana as fast?

Also, are all the fragrants fast growers?

Kay

• Ed Rushing
    2 years ago

Here are my fastest Growers. Guacamole, Blue Angel, Avacado, Stained Glass, Fragrant Bouquet, Francee, Frozen Margarita, Paul's Glory, and Earth Angel. I live in the South and have very hot summers, but all of these do well as long as they are watered when it gets dry and hot.

kay21_utahzone5b thanked Ed Rushing
  • beverlymnz4
    2 years ago

The fragrants with some fancy ploidy, for example Mojito, are slower. For fast and large Guacamole or Royal Standard. Otherwise they are more mediumish.

kay21_utahzone5b thanked beverlymnz4
  • dhaven
    2 years ago

MA is slow to multiply, even with optimal conditions.

Not all fragrant hostas are fast growers. However, Plantaginea, Fried Bananas and Guacamole are all quick to grow, and all will appreciate a sunny spot. Check out the Rawson's Lists on the Hosta Library site for more sun tolerant varieties.

Other fast growers in my garden include Old Glory, Aspen Gold, Big Daddy, Big Mama, Choo Choo Train, Special Gift, Phoenix, Satisfaction, Devil's Advocate, The Razor's Edge, Theo's Blue, Invincible, Lakeside Sparkle Plenty, Lakeside Lime Time, Funny Bones, Lakeside Full Tide, Luna Moon, Prairie Sky, Royal Flush (which reverts often) Pacific Blue Edger, Fruit Punch, and Fire Island. All but the last two and Funny Bones are medium to large hostas.

Mini hostas are often very good growers. I particularly recommend Little Wonder, Baby Bunting, Bitsy Gold, Venusta, Surfer Girl, Quill, Kabitan, Paradise Sunset, Ops, Extasy, Feather Boa, Twist of Lime, Lemon Lime, Nakaiana, Wiggle Worms, Wiggles and Squiggles, and many more. Again, check out the Rawson's Lists for miniature hostas, then check out the photos to see which ones show nicely grown clumps.

kay21_utahzone5b thanked dhaven
  • kay21_utahzone5b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Goodness dhaven - thanks for all those options! I will compare all the suggestions to Don’s lists for the sunny friendliest.

I guess you’re right Ken right to call this hot afternoon sun, especially given the altitude and thank you for pointing that out - darn high desert!

Kay

• pandora
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Kay,

How far is Salt Lake for you. If your mother is able, I'll bet she'd love a family road trip.

http://www.hostahouseutah.com

It sounds wonderful. 10,000 hostas. 200 varieties.

Just stumbled upon in in searching the web.

• kay21_utahzone5b thanked pandora
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

I agree with kenKen, Royal Standard is fast growing and does well in full sun. It propagates quickly which means you can get many divisions from one plant in a few years.

debra

kay21_utahzone5b thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • kay21_utahzone5b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Pandora - I think I read about that hosta house a few yrs ago but for some reason thought it was gone. I’ll check it out!

My Royal Standard is probably one of my fastest growers and already needs to be divided. That’s a definite one to share with Mom since it came from her dad’s garden. My dad and Sis each took a piece 20 yrs ago when his house was sold. I finally got a bit 3-4 yrs ago (before my parents lost theirs). Warms my heart every time I look at Gramp’s Royal Standard!

Kay

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Earth Angel, Elegans, and Avocado.

kay21_utahzone5b thanked undertheoaksgardener7b
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

kay, locally I've gotten hostas from J&Js and Valley Nursery. I'm not sure how careful they are about HVX, but so far I've never gotten any diseased hostas from either place.

Valley has a greenhouse devoted to shade plants with a good variety of hostas lined up down the middle. This year I got lucky and found Color Festival there, which I've been wanting.

J&Js put them all on a table in their shade area and you have to dig through them, and hopefully they have the tag so you know what they are. But both places have good choices.

Sorry about your Mom's health. I hope she enjoys her new hostas!

kay21_utahzone5b thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • kay21_utahzone5b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think I’ve been to Valley Nursery - it sounds like Valley might take a little more care with their hostas if they have a good variety and tries to keep them tagged. I have been to J&J’s; I really liked how they organized the merc.

Ugh! I’ve gotten so paranoid!

I am going to check out the Hosta House in Salt Lake first. He loves hostas enough to convert his yard in the city to nothing but 10,000 hostas. Surely he knows something about hosta diseases!

Thanks Sandy ~ I knew you’d come along and tell me where you go!

Kay

• pandora
    2 years ago

Kay21, I don't know your travel plans and do not reveal too much on line, but I travel a lot and thought I'd pass on a couple tips.

Call ahead to see if you can have appointment with owner.

If it is a long trip you might try to break up the drive with a B&B/hotel through VRBO. We have used them a lot and are very pleased.

If you are concerned about space, just put 2 changes of clothes for each in small totes, No need for a suitcase. You might take a small cooler for drinks and snacks.

To save space on hostas, you or owner could pull purchases out of pots, knock off dirt, maybe a quick rinse, then wrap hostas in damp newspaper, WITH LABEL INSIDE, roll up like a subway sandwich and lay them horizontally in garbage bag. Like you were shipping them. Make sure to label on outside of package too. The only caution here is do not let them bake in the sun in the trunk. Just in case be sure to take along string, labels, label marker, tape, scissors, towel for hands, make a list of what you liked and bought, and take pictures with your phone and jot down the picture number and hosta name. Sound like overkill, but sometimes it gets all jumbled together.

It just depends on your situation.

Sounds like a wonderful trip, fun day, and great memories.

kay21_utahzone5b thanked pandora
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

UTOaks says elegans is fast growing ... not in the universe i live in .. lol ....

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

guess i hit the bazinga on royal standard .. lol ..

even a blind nut can find an acorn once in a while ...

ken

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Ken, my garden must be weird. Almost all of the slow growing ones do well for me. Anything related to Tokudama, Elegans, Great Expectations, even Remember Me.

• Dianne Pauselius
    2 years ago

In my garden Choo Choo Train, Regal Splendor, Tiny Tears and Paul's Glory have multiplied the fastest.

• Dean Cornett
    2 years ago

For me anything in the Plantigenea family grows all summer in that amount of sun with lots of water, fertilizer and garden salt. They put up new growth till at least August.