Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markay_6746

Experiences with NIRP Roses?

I ordered two NIRP roses from Palatine last fall. Both of them are already bigger than anticipated.

Rosemantic Red was described as under 3ft. but is easily over 5ft. It’s a lovely cool red that is always in bloom - much to the delight of the Japanese beetles who can’t get enough of it!

The second NIRP rose I ordered was Rosersie de Chatelet. I had to move this rose in thr spring and it had severe transplant shock. Despite the set back, it’s around 4.5 feet now. it had been described as 3-4 feet. She’s a lovely rose, but not fragrant at all to my nose.

I am wondering if others are having the same experience with NIRP roses. Maybe it‘s because they are grafted? Perhaps they are like Austins and just grow bigger in the states?

Comments (59)

• Rose Lai (9b)
    2 years ago

However, I like Crazy FAshion better. It has very intense fragrance - almost on par with Deelish. Very healthy. Interesting strips of ligher pink and dark pink.

• Rose Lai (9b)
    2 years ago

• Rose Lai (9b)
    2 years ago

Bush view

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ooooh Rose Lai, the Crazy Fashion is lovely. I love striped roses and have been debating between Crazy Fashion and one of the Delbard painter’s series. I’ve also bern thinking about the climber Easy Fashion.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

I agree, Crazy Fashion is really beautiful . I love those strips.

Where did you find that one ?

• Rose Lai (9b)
    2 years ago

@Kristine Legault: I got it from Palatine this spring. I am happy with it so far.

@Mackay: I also got Easy Fashion - the climber from NIRP. So far Easy Fashion grow robustly. Since planting in late March this year, it grew 5 long canes over 6 feet tall and gave me 3 flushes already. It is not easy for me to get a photo of that one because it is up on a deep slope. Like Crazy Fashion it is a strip rose, but the bloom is smaller than Crazy Fashion. Also the fragrance is not as strong. Here is the only photo.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Rose Lai, thank you! That is very helpful info.

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    2 years ago

Rosematic pink, very healthy and always in bloom. mine is around 4ft already. not craz about the color, and the JBs really love her 😩

Original Author
    2 years ago

I feel your pain. They love my Rosemantic red too. I puts out do many blooms though that they can’t spoil them all.

2 years ago

I need a 3rd choice for my Palatine order and maybe it will be Crazy Fashion.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

I won't comment on my NIRP roses, because all of my roses aren't doing well, so I can't expect the NIRP ones to do better than my established roses. But, I'm LOVING the pictures here!!! Amazing!!

• Lala Idaho Zone 7a
    2 years ago

Rosemantic pink blooms from today. I actually really like it. I wasnt sure I would. I like the compact size, hoping it wont get bigger as it matures.

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    5 months ago

Sweet Delight - very sweet fragrance

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    5 months ago

Broceliande-fragrance took a minute to kick up, but is sweet and pronounced. A bloom machine for me.

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    5 months ago

Anastasia— she blooms when all other shut down in the heat

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    5 months ago

For NIRP roses from Palatine 2024 order I’m considering these four. Do you have any experience with these? I’m going for fragrance and disease resistance. Bloom power would be a nice bonus!

Wishlist:

Amour de Molene

Gruaud Larose

The Pride

Crazy Fashion

Thanks!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 months ago

All of mine just went in last spring so take this with a grain of salt…

Crazy Fashion-seems decent, put on steady growth even though it is in a terrible spot underneath a japanese maple

The Pride-in one of my good sun spots but growing slowly so I think the soil needs some help

Amour de Molene-doing great! Moved in August I think and it didn’t even blink. Healthy, fragrant and tolerant!

Gruaud Larose-best of the bunch!! Probably only gets about five hours of sun, crazily floriferous. fragrant, no blackspot, terrible name for a truly wonderful rose

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

There are several breeders whose varieties are introduced by NIRP. The Michel Adam roses have done especially well for me.

The Pride - Very unique, full petalled OGR form, pale lavender with a beige center. Bloom is almost like n big Austin version of Koko Loco, but plant is very upright. I have a friend that is in charge of trialing new varieites for a major US grower, and he has mentioned more than once that he really likes this one;

Sweet Delight - one of my best roses, with a very strong, consistent , wonderful tropical fruit scent. Very productive and tall, beautiful colors.

Broceliande - Good quality blooms, very good foliage, above average scent.

• rosecanadian
    5 months ago

Sunny - I loved my Sweet Delight this summer!! The fragrance is INTENSE!! Your Anastasia is so beautiful!! I wish it had a good fragrance...I'd get it. :) That does look like my La Fontaine aux

Perles. I loved mine so much!! Yeah, it's a tall one and well filled out. :) You will love Grauad Larose...it's wonderfully fragrant and a beautiful rose.

So far my The Pride hasn't been that great for me. But, that doesn't mean much if others grow it well.

Looking at your Broceliande...maybe I have to try it again. :) :) Gorgeous!

Ben - great picture of Sweet Delight...man, do I love mine!!

5 months ago

I have been very happy with Roberto Alagna. It is new this year but so far it had done really well. I am so bummed that Palatine pulled it.

• rosecanadian
    5 months ago

Kristine - me too. Yours is beautiful...love those colors and the luscious leaves too.

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    5 months ago

I'm desperately trying to sort out and minimize my Palatine NIRP wishlist. If you could choose just one "new-to-you" NIRP rose, which would you choose?

These are on my radar:

Amour de Molene, Gruaud LaRose, Crazy Fashion,

And now that Dianela has reported on Rosemantic Cream, it and Rosemantic Pink are on my radar.

Im considering Blue Girl and The Pride but I really need to limit myself on NIRP roses bc I'm ordering a number of Kordes roses. After awhile so many of the roses start to look alike on the screen. Do any of your NIRP's stand out in the garden? Or are they meh?

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    5 months ago

@rosecanadian Anastasia is off and on fragrant. When she is on, she smells like gardenias. But she is not consistently fragrant for me unfortunately. But super healthy!

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    5 months ago

I'm looking hard at Kosmos Fairy Tale and wondering if it is too similar to Rosemantic Cream?

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 months ago

Gruaud Larose. I have no negatives to report. Not one!

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    5 months ago

Thank you @oursteelers 8B PNW! It will go into the must haves stack!

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    5 months ago

So we will say YES to Gruaud Larose!

Which of these do I NOT NEED?

Amour de Molene

Crazy Fashion

Rosemantic Cream (Based on Di's experience, I think I need this one)

The Pride

Are any an absolute must for you?

On my Kordes wishlist: Adorable Parfuma, Buxom Beauty, and Flora Colonia

I keep reading mixed reviews on fragrance. Not to mention I'm trying to navigate sites written in German, Dutch, and French haha. On the mixed review page are Kosmos Fairy Tale and Uetersen's Rose Queen. Some list these as strongly fragrant, some list them as slight. ugh..

5 months ago

Sunny, for some reason Kosmos Fairytale was a complete dud for me .

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    5 months ago

Thanks Kristine! That helps knock another off the list. Progress!🙌🙌

• rosecanadian
    5 months ago

Sunny - I wish I knew what gardenias smell like. lol Anastasia probably wouldn't be fragrant for me...happens a lot with my roses. But thanks for letting me know. :)

I agree with Oursteelers - Gruaud Larose is wonderful!! Sweet Delight, La Fontaine aux Perles are two others that I love.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 months ago

Yes, La Fontaine aux Perles is another great one-another LARGE one!

Original Author
    5 months ago

Roseraie du Chatelet has been a black spotty mess all summer, but man… her blooms right now are gorgeous.

• rosecanadian
    5 months ago

Markay .... oooh! :) :)

What are thoughts on Parfum Tropical? Did anyone try this? I'm also thinking of trying Broceliande and Amour de Molene.

Sunny - your Broceliande is beautiful and you love yours...so I'm going to get that one. :)

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    5 months ago

@rosecanadian Im so happy youre going to try Beoceliande! The blooms are all so different, should stay visually interesting while you wait for the fragrance to work its way out.

@rosecanadian and @oursteelers 8B PNW would you please compare Gruaud Larose to Francis Meilland? On the screen they seem similar to me. I have Francis Meilland and LOVE him!

• rosecanadian
    5 months ago

I've never grown Francis Meilland. I do know that it's resistant to Downy Mildew. Almost every rose I have had DM this summer. But Gruard Larose didn't get any. :)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 months ago

I don’t have Francis either, sorry!

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    4 months ago

I cannot recommend FM highly enough—gorgeous, fragrant, long lasting roses that are worth a little TLC given it’s tender here in zone 5.

• erasmus_gw
    4 months ago

How is Gruad Larose for thrips?

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

I don’t remember them being a problem last year

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    2 days ago

La Fountaine aux Perles (light pink) AFTER being pegged this winter. Still topping at six feet. we shall see if she gets much taller this year.

• rosecanadian
    2 days ago

Erasmus - my Gruaud Larose had thrips problems last year (first year rose for me).

Not the prettiest rose for me sometimes. I'm hoping this will improve.

Sunny - oooh...I love your La Fontaine aux Perles!! She's a big rose, though. :)

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    2 days ago

Sweet Delight this spring. She has a tropical-fruity fragrance that is unlike any other fruity-scented rose I’ve smelled. Not citrus-fruity. Definitely delicious!

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    2 days ago

@rosecanadian La Fountaine aux Perles is so much larger than i thought she would be. But she’s in a good spot so i dont have to move her thank goodness. Definite for a fragrance wishlist if they bring it back next year.

Original Author
    yesterday

what a beauty!

yesterday

Now my posts are dissapearing

• rosecanadian
    yesterday

Sunny - and Sweet Delight's fragrance is ALWAYS there...it never takes a sick day. :) :) Yours is beautiful!! I adore the centers of LFaP. :) Gorgeous!!

Kristine - I can see this post. Are you trying to post pics?

22 hours ago

I was trying to post Rosemantic Fuschia

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    20 hours ago

These are some over the top beautiful roses ! Hard to pick a favorite

• rosecanadian
    20 hours ago

Kristine - uber healthy looking and it's got lots of flowers and buds...love!