Software
Houzz Logo Print
megankamins

Tile - how big is too big?

5 years ago

Would love thoughts on selecting tile for primary bathroom. The tile is fairly subtle and comes in two sizes - a 12x24 or larger 24x48 slab. I could do larger on floor and smaller in shower walls, or all small on floor and shower walls. Would do very thin grout lines.


Here are some pics of the bathroom with the two tiles taped out to show spatially. Is the large *too* large? There would be perhaps be four full slabs across longest part of room. Would both be suitable and look ok, just different looks?


View from entrance (for scale, the shower is 6ft)


View from toilet


View from double sink alcove (for scale, those are my feet at bottom)


Comments (7)

  • 5 years ago

    I prefer the big. Less grout lines too.

  • 5 years ago

    I think the large format is fine. I have a smaller bathroom than yours and it turned out great.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Love the large tiles - we are doing many more of them. Make sure the floor is perfection before laying those. You may also want to have 2 -3 pieces extra to keep - JIC. I do also think it would be great with the 12 x 24 on the floor and the large on the walls.

  • 5 years ago

    Large would look great. Just realize that they are tougher to install without lippage, so make sure your floor is absolutely level and your installer is absolutely skilled in large tile laying,

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    The advantage of large tile is fewer grout lines. But, if you tiler is smart he/she will use a urethane grout that does not get grungy and harbor mold. It also does not need to be re-sealed every few years -- something no one ever actually does, Grout lines make little difference these days since the invention of urethane grout.

    The disadvantage is that you need a nearly perfectly flat floor that has virtually no deflection. This usually means joists that are closer together (12" o/c is best) and a very stiff sub-floor. If the floor was not heavied-up during its construction to accept the larger tile, I would suggest the smaller format. You will have fewer problems in the future.

    Whichever tile you choose, make sure your tiler installs a waterproof membrane under the tile and up the walls at least 3" so water cannot reach the MDF sub-floor. Even MDF rated for wet areas will not stand continued wetting for long. If the MDF buckles, you will probably have to re--do the floor.

  • 5 years ago

    I think the decision should be based on the skill of the tile installer you have hired and how good your GC was at producing a strong and level surface that will accept larger tile.

  • 5 years ago

    The disadvantage [of large tiles] is that you need a nearly perfectly flat floor that has virtually no deflection.


    This is what I was thinking, although StarCraft Custom Builders has the bona fides to back up the statement and I'm just a homeowner. Tiles can crack if the floor isn't perfectly flat, and the bigger the tile, the bigger the risk (or the more demanding the prep). Walls are more forgiving because wall tiles aren't subjected to hundreds of pounds of force.