Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelinok

August 2021 Week 5?

hazelinok
2 years ago

I'm starting this a few hours early.

It's hot (but not as hot today.) and so dry. It looks like the rain chances and cool down they were predicting for next weekend have been taken away. Sad about that. It was something to look forward to for sure.

We continue to harvest things. Other things don't look so great.

I wanted to start this thread early because I need a plant ID and am afraid if I put it at last week's thread, it won't be seen.

SO....what's going on with you and your gardens?

Comments (38)

• hazelinok
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What is it?

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

I am putting my answer to Amy here:

Yes, Amy, thats it. Persephone days

I guess, I will have to start an Amy says file.... :)

You are full of awesome information today/actually you put it out yesterday. Thank you very much.

Hazel, I have no idea, but it sure looks pretty. :)

I am waiting on the fence installers. The posts were set last Tuesday, and they were supposed to come back on Thursday to install the fence.

BUT it was HOT, and some of their installers came down with COVID. Now, my time is limited to do what I hoped to do... since I leave next weekend to visit with friends up north, and do a bike ride across Minnesota. Not sure, when I will come back. I don't think, I want to till it cools off here too.

Moni

• dbarron
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Pluchea odorata, marsh fleabane. I used to think it was Joe Pye weed :)

We are suppossedly starting a slow slow cooldown, a high of 88 today, though 90 is not totally gone. Supposedly the 90F mark is gone after Friday though. I see 70s by end of September, but I've saw that same 70ish mark three weeks out since mid July. :)

My news: Well last week saw swallowtail caterpillars mature and run off to pupuate somewhere. Today I saw my first (of the year) monarch caterpillar (a quite large one already)...I knew there had been two or three adults around for most of a week, didn't expect that big a cat, but I guess with the heat and lots to eat they grow fast.

Jasper's progress: He jumped in the car to come home from our park walk today. Yesterday, he met and greeted a couple of people and animals at Lake Springdale. I haven't had to take anything away from him (stealing/chewing/destroying) for several days. I even left him out of the crate while I went to the grocery store yesterday, and nothing was destroyed! He's growing up and I can start relaxing...it's been tense to watch him 24x7 for two months.

Well, goodbye to August! Parting is such sweet sorrow!

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

An Amy says file, wow! You know, of course, I learned of Persephone days from Dawn, as I Did most things garden related.

Where are you going in Minnesota? I have a lot of family there! Both my parents were born there.

Danny, I'm glad Jasper is growing up for you. Daughter has a German shepherd stray that has adopted them (yes, 3 of her own, a foster and a stray). The shepherd counter surfed Thursday night and ate most of the roast she slow cooked (and smelled) all day.

Ron's been mowing and weed eating. Got stung by a wasp getting weed eater out of the shed. Any one have a remedy for wasp stings?

I get my 2nd shot the 31st.

I really wanted Ida to stay small and hit the coast so we got moisture from it. I hope New Orleans survives.

Hope you find the house you want, Jen.

Have a good week.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

wasp, bee and other stings... pour vinegar or bleach on right away. Wet a rag with vinegar and tie with the help or bandana to the area.

Later, if you don't mind the stink of onion, slice one, in such a way as for onion rings, and put on the sting/hurting/swelling area, again, hold it there somehow, bandana or such.

Change the onion after a couple of hours.

I felt, like it helped a WHOLE lot.

Moni

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

Put an offer down this morning after Cliff checked out the internet availability. With him a gamer & me working from home, that became the deciding factor. Now to wait & see if they take the offer. If they do, I'll quite literally have a blank slate. No plants other than a few trees.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Jen that sounds so awesome. I hope it works out smoothly for you.

• HU-422368488
    2 years ago
  • Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Rick I am so sorry about your mom. I am glad my mom isn’t suffering but I miss her every day
    Hugs to you

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

I am sorry Rick

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Rick, I am sorry. I know the pain of losing a mother, but on the bright side, I had a wonderful mother for over 75 years

• hazelinok
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It's Tuesday and my day off. I'm sitting here, though, and not doing anything other than the washer and dryer are going.

I did run in to OKC early this morning and deliver 60 gift bags to a school. It's a school that is very poor and it's not always easy being a teacher in schools that are so impoverished. There's little to no parent support. Often the parents don't speak English. Anyway, the gift bags are for these teachers--a way to show appreciation and to say "thanks!" for teaching and loving these little kids and their families.

I do have a list of things to do today, but I'm feeling a little tired so I'll take it slow.

Jen, I'm so excited for you! We finally got decent internet here. It took a few years though. Ethan was at the end of 7th grade when we moved out here and he was pretty into gaming and even built a gaming computer, but our internet was so bad.

He moved on to music at that point. He still games a little now that we have decent net, but he doesn't have as much time for it.

Have I mentioned that he's in an electrician program now? He signed a "put on hold" thing for his university scholarship, but has no plans of going to university. He finished 2 years at the community college and...yeah. His scholarship is a good one too. 100% tuition paid and about half of the fees. Oh well. I can use an electrician in the family. It's just that if you knew him, he is a true scholar type. Studies many things, has a lot of knowledge about history, music/art history, religions, and so many other things. He said that he can study these things on his own and doesn't need university classes for it. And he was a little put off by the classes he did take. The things that we all studied in basic classes--the classics--have all be replaced with social justice readings and studies even in basic literature types of classes. It's very odd. I was surprised when I looked through his textbooks. Anyway...I still wish he would go, but am happy he got a spot at the tech center. It's not easy to get into now-a-days.

The monarch caterpillars disappeared about 3 days ago. I hope they're okay.

I tried to do my FB Garden Monday post, but it would never post. It was still trying this morning. So I deleted it and made a new one without the garden tour video.

It rained around the metro yesterday, but it missed us again. Rick and I are hoping our beans can hold on for a few more days. We are ready to start putting the brassicas in the ground. Maybe next week.

I continue to harvest okra, melons, peppers, tomatoes and such.

My hen that got heat stress last week is doing better, she's not at 100% but she's eating again. The chicks are getting so big. They are pretty ones.

I don't have room for them on the roost bars in the main coop. What to do?

I guess we'll figure out a way to make another roost bar. We have time to figure it out. I like the bars at the same height. It saves "arguments" and prevents the lower ones from getting pooped on.

I'll head out to water now, since I've rested.

<3

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

It's here now... the dog days of summer. My "lawn" is crisp. Still green, but crisp. I am rather tired of this heat. Wish I was leaving now... instead of the end of the week.

Moni

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

My garden is hanging in there. It would be better off I watered more. I have been very sick again. Yesterday I was dizzy and when I got up at one point I fell. Smashed into several wooden objects tool box and my printer. It took awhile to get to the light find my phone and then my glasses. Today I am paying the price. My son encouraged me to go out and get sunshine since I live in a cave. I did and just watering plants made me feel a whole lot better. Several things are thriving.
    The only thing that came up in my white garden are my hyacinth vine. They are beautiful.
    I have hired a girl to come help me the week I am off. So many things I can’t do alone.

• hazelinok
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kim, I'm sorry you're sick! How scary! Plants make everything better. Plants and a hot bath.

So, what things are you going to work on during your week off?

Moni, I'm weary of the dryness and heat too.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

The heat and dryness has about shut us down

We have picked out some seed stock, here are the Seminole I plan on saving seed from, 16, 18, and almost 7 pounds.

I have never seen so many squash bugs.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

Hi all. . . nothing much to talk about here. We have a bunch of appts this week and next. GDW will have surgery later in the month for artery blockage. I was sorry to hear that. I get hp surgery next week. I cannot believe it's finally almost here. Can hardly wait.

So impressive to hear about Jasper's progress, Danny. I believe you got a winner!

Kim please tell us you are better now. Don't like hearing about your not being well.

And Mone--we had dinner this evening at Siegi's Sausage Factory in Tulsa. I love that place. German. The waitress greeted us with about 30 seconds of German. Later I asked her if anyone ever answered her back in German. She said it had happened twice. (I didn't ask her how long she has worked there. It would be fun to take you there when she's working!)

My heart is heavy, as I imagine others' hearts are, too, those of you who counted Sharon (Hankins) as a friend. What a magnificent friend she was! She passed away this morning, as Lisa told us all. Incidentally, she and Dawn were very close--and Sharon ALSO died of ovarian cancer.

Ethan can always grow intellectually without college, Jennifer, though I'd hope he might take more classes after he's done with his electrician hours. I DO know those with electricians' licenses can make lots of money. Garry has a son-in-law AND a grandson in that field. Well, best to him no matter his choosing.

Jen, fingers crossed! Hoping you got it! Be sure to let us know!

Good night, everyone. XOXO

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

Rick, I'm so sorry!

So sorry about Sharon, too.

I'm sorry GDW has to have surgery. Will they do a stent? And Yay for your hip. I hope you get the relief I did.

Sorry you're sick Kim! Dizzy falls are very scary. Especially alone. If you reach the point of not being able to get up, firemen will come help. Of course you may have a volunteer department where you are, don't know how that works.

I got my 2nd shot yesterday. So far just a sore arm.

Nice pumpkins Larry!

You know, H/J, I considered going to school for electronics. It was that or Art. My mother said girls didn't go into electronics. Really. This was right before PCs and cell phones and all the electronic things I could have been involved in. Electricians, plumbers, wood workers, these people generally are in demand no matter what.

They're talking a dry September.

Ron came in yesterday and said "every year there's one tomato plant that just excells. This year it's this one." He held up a Heidi. Only one with that shape that we planted. We have one plant.I bet we've gotten 300 fruit off it. It's still pumping them out.

Stay cool.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Amy I have neighbors my niece and her mom who work in nursing homes and I would gladly called if my phone hadn’t gone flying. I couldn’t find it or my glasses. It was a long 30 minutes. My sister suggested I strap on a bag with my phone in it. Hmmmm I think I would forget to use the bag. And she needs to see my house. lol. Inside dimensions 10’5” x 15’. Too much stuff is the problem. I fell on a tool box, printer, wooden box, and bags of groceries.
    When my kids go on vacation I am redoing shed, home, garden area and storage. I have 8 days and one helper so far. I may have to hire another.
    My new fencing.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Kim, you have a gold mine there. I love you fencing material, all kind of possabilities.

I have falling problems also. I have a phone ( flip type ) on my belt at all times. I have fallen several times, but never bad enough to need the phone. Madge is very uneasy if I dont carry my phone with me.

I use an anti-histamine every day and it seems to really help. I dont think the Dr. really likes me using it that much, but I dont think he has been so sick that he just wanted to lie very still all the time.

I had a wonderful lunch, we grew everything except the cornbread. I ask Madge to fix the butternut like she sometimes does the sweet potatoes, it was great, but, I had to peel the butternut.

I am letting most of our plants die, it is costing more than what they produce for water. I will try to loosen up some ground for fall planting, but may wait a week or two. before planting.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Larry thanks. I spent more than I had planned for fencing but I got much better than just a roll of wire mesh. It’s about 150 feet and there are 2 gates. I have no clue how to put it together. I have to do some research on that. I think it will be beautiful around my gardens.

• dbarron
    2 years ago

Larry, do you foresee sky water coming before the growing season is done? I'm not sure I do (no crystal gazer though)?

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

While I mourn not having cucumbers, squash, and more tomatoes, I am so thankful that after the grasshoppers decimated so much, I decided just to let it all go. This fall, after I've had the hip surgery next week, I'm hoping I can just raze much of it and start anew--even the flower beds. I'll cut everything to the ground and work on digging up errant Bermuda and deep-rooted weeds. The perennial natives should be fine, as well as many of the self-seeders. I cannot believe the disaster that's out there. I plan to just let it all continue to deteriorate and go to H___. Then weed eaat it all down in late October.

Meanwhile, no thanks, or maybe thanks to Danny and another friend, I can have plenty of books to read while I'm not gardening. It has been years since I've read any books other than theology, gardening-related, art-related. I was a literature major in college, and now have compiled a stack of books to read--non-fiction and fiction.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Kim, if I had that fencing material, I would drag out my welding tools and try to get some work done. The last few times I have tried to weld I could not see what I was doing, but with that fence I would have to try it again. I think a metal fence like that is just beautiful.

Danny, If we dont get some sky water, there will be no more growing seasons. The last time I checked the creek in the pasture, it was just barely running, I am sure it is not now. I expect I still have water from the artesian well and in the pond, but very little grass. The guy that rents the place has mowed the hay so close that the cows are working to find grass.

We had to go to Ft. smith for test today, it seems as though we have at least one Dr. appointment a week.

Well had better go on bug patrol and check the water supply in the pasture. I am never able to do all the things that I think should be done.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

Larry---I hope not to be traveling an hour into the city from here on, but that's how it's been going and going to go for a while. I hate it hate it hate it. But we did it and after 5 grueling hours got home.

Here is my exciting gardening news. (MY yard and garden is a disaster, as I have mentioned. But the Lincoln garden. . . all the flower beds and veggie beds are in raised beds, so the Bermuda will have a hard time infiltrating, and prayerfully if it does, we can hold it off. ) John (from Lincoln) gave me carte blanche in terms of growing for my passion-- native plants. Although most of our outside 4x12 raised beds have vegetables a few ornamentals and a few natives, the big center bed, app. 30-35 feet in diameter is native flowers. I grew most of these from seed or ordered several more from nearby native flower online nurseries, as you know. We had a hard time getting the milkweed established, and had a generous donation of seedlings from Lori Darling. But this year, only our 4th year, we have milkweed everywhere, as well as many other natives and host plants.

John just left me a voicemail today--he was so excited. He said he counted 35-40 MONARCH cats in the center bed. I was thrilled beyond thrilled!! We have another #@$^& medical appt tomorrow, but will stop by Lincoln on the way home and I'll take pics.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Nancy, I am glad you are happy about your butterflies and flowers. I do very few flowers, except in the wildlife garden, there I more or less let them grow without any care, but under those conditions they do pretty well. They are all dead now because of the heat and no water, but I will have a lot of re-seeders. I did not save as many sunflower seed as I wanted, because, critters would steal all my seeds. I finally placed some in the house, after the dry good I will place them in pill bottles. I plan on saving plenty garden seed for next spring. I know it is cheaper to buy seed ( if you can find them ).

We are winding up with a pretty good squash harvest in spite of the weather. I will have all that me and my daughter need and my neighbor will have plenty to sell, or keep for himself. His wife loves to can and make jelly. I gave her some roselle last year, she loved it. I gave her and her husband 15 or more plants this year, and I expect to give her the fruit off my plants this year also.

Nancy, take care of yourself with all the hospital work, I did not do such a good job at it and regret it now.

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

The buyer for our house accepted our offer, and the seller for the house we wanted finally sent over his counter, which we accepted. Now the nightmare & stress begins, right? lol. I'll feel better once we get through inspections so we know we'll be buying it & this one will be sold. Then I can start planning in earnest. Once we get the equipment we need & get the dog sitting up & running, the next project will be my garden. But since it already has a shop with electricity, I've claimed it for my garden shed. I've joked about planting everything to my heart's desire, but in all honesty I may just do that. Plant some insane number of tomatoes so for once I can brag about my huge harvest. Then pull back to a respectable amount. Now to just get through the next 45 days until we close.

• dbarron
    2 years ago

How exciting and how horrifying (I hate moving) for you Jen. Just remember if you plant 'em, and they grow, you gotta can 'em.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

I am crossing my fingers for everything to come out right. :)

Moni

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

I am happy for you Jen, but sure dont want to trade places with you. Moving is not my cup of tea.

Madge and I spent most of the day getting a piano out of the house and hauled off yesterday.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Jen that is awesome
    I know you have extensive seed collection but if there are seeds you don’t have and want just shout out and I am sure one of us has it.
    I want to do another run to Oklahoma soon and get together lunch. Let me know is there is anything I can bring. Maybe Irises.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

Congrats, Jen! I don't envy packing and moving, but you'll be happy in your new place!

They're teasing us with rain predictions. We'll see. Might happen, Ron has sheets on the clothes line.

Nothing to report.

Have a good Labor Day Weekend.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

No real rain chance here... and I was thinking towels on the clothes line... but the wind died down. It was sure blowing while I was out cycling.

I guess, I'll pack.

Moni

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

I just picked some peas and butternut, but it is really too hot to be messing around in the garden.

Insects and wildlife are trying to eat everything I have. The trees on the hillsides are brown, the grass in the valley is tan, so the green in the garden really shines to the deer, and, the sunflower, and veggies curing on the deck really looks good to the coons ( garbage can also ). Green grass and water is harder for the wildlife to find, but, the birds are having a ball with seeds and insects.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

I miss having birds in the garden. They tore out so many trees last year that we have no birds this year.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    2 years ago

For those of you whose yards and gardens have been decimated by grasshoppers (like mine have been), George posted this on FB. Hilarious. Great fun--I can see we're going to have to buy the proper game equipments.

https://seedsavingnetwork.proboards.com/thread/586/grasshoppers?fbclid=IwAR1S4tBw3TEJeqPiPkrbTHu_T7iNB7LfT4JtTN8ZnAlvhWc7L-WRYgS_uFY

I feel like I've been duped. I thought hip surgery was supposed to make one feel good as new. Apparently not. Good as new if you do this and this and don't do that or that. Amy helped clue me in. Doctor conned me. (Not that I have any options--he was just trying to paint it in the rosiest light.) Still like the doctor and would recommend him to anyone with knee or hip problems. Maybe shoulder, too.

Crazy snake gourds. By the time they turn red they're no good to anyone, unless someone can think of a cool use for them. We can't, but the kids sure liked seeing them.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

AWESOME Link! Thanks Nancy.

Moni

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting