Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrcubbage

wallpaper powder room

cubby14
2 years ago

I need advise again. I am trying to decide which walls to wallpaper in my powder room. Here is the floor plan, since it is too small to get a good picture of the space.

Original thought was to just do the sink wall since it is seen from the hall, but then I felt like maybe it needed more. Hubby doesn't like the idea of doing the whole room. He feels like that will be too busy.

So if you were to do more than one wall which would you do? This is the wallpaper I'm using.

Comments (26)

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

If you do only one, I would do the full uninterrupted wall next to the toilet. Most if it will be lost on the other walls.

• cubby14
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Would it make any sense to do two walls. The full wall next to toilet and sink wall or full wall and opposite wall with paint only on sink wall and door wall?

• jck910
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I've been debating the same issue at my house. I've decided all 4 walls or no walls. In your case I would just do the toilet wall. Doing the side wall seems odd to me like the room would be off balance

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I would say it has to be either one wall or four, and usually I would commit to all four.

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    2 years ago

I have a very similar powder room that I plan to wallpaper in the future. I decided that I am going to wallpaper the three walls that don't have the door, but I'm only going to do about the top 60%.. Then have some sort of a rail and paint the lower part white.

• cubby14
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for your perspectives and advice, I truly appreciate it.

• cubby14
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ali, your space is amazing, such a transformation. I’m really questioning my choice of wallpaper now. Seeing pictures of it on a larger scale and I’m afraid it’ll be really busy.

• cubby14
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is the paper

• Molly
    2 years ago

Cubby did you move forward or is this on hold while you work on your main bathroom?

• cubby14
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Molly, I am waiting on some other wallpaper samples. I am having cold feet on all of my ideas lately. Working on multiple rooms at the moment. Powder room and master bathroom. Waiting is hard. I ordered a second mirror and am looking for sconces to put next to them. Will decide after tile is done if vanities need to be painted to bring the black in more. Interviewing another tile person on Monday morning. I have used him before and will see what his timeline is. Most are scheduling far into next year. Bummer.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Seeing this on instagram for scale, I think I would do all the walls in the paper.

cubby14 thanked palimpsest
  • cubby14
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm worried it is too busy after all and may change to something else. We'll see after my other samples arrive next week.

• Julie Schmooley
    2 years ago

I think it feels busy because it’s two colors. And in rows kinda? If you could find a different pattern, still bold, I would def do all the walls! Love the example a few pics up! Great example

• cubby14
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This sample came today. I really like it. I would do all of the walls.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    2 years ago

Do the whole thing! It will look great. Maybe also paint the door trim and the door in a matching black with a glossy sheen.

cubby14 thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • cubby14
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Sabrina, not sure if my hubby would go for that. I know it is very popular right now but he is very conventional. I can see what he thinks.

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Complicated wall paper patterns have the potential to visually shrink a small space even smaller. Could you add a high horizontal "chair rail" on the wall above the countertop / sink level and wallpaper only that back wall behind and above the sink and toilet with the mirror covering part of the wall over the sink and open shelves over the toilet. See how you like that before doing the other two walls. If you do only above the "chair rail", you get the pattern you like added without having the design over power your small room. You could pick a color from within the wallpaper for the rest of the wall.

You might even consider a vertical "wainscoting" or paneling for below the "chair rail".

You might even consider a faux window on one wall.

Lighter colors -- white door and trim -- and pastel walls are going to give off a more open vibe than darker colors.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/wallpaper-powder-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_713~a_3406-20866

cubby14 thanked suezbell
  • cubby14
    Original Author
    2 years ago

suezbell, I see where you are going with that idea. I will give some thought to that. Not sure if that look which seems very traditional will work with this home. However I had thought of trying to bring the ceiling height down some to reduce the feeling of being in such a tower. Ceilings are 12' high and it makes the proportions seem off in such a small room.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    2 years ago

Just to complicate this further, you could put in wainscot paneling on the bottom part of the wall with the wallpaper on top. That would make it feel less busy. I'm doing exactly that for a client's powder room that's currently in the works. Here's a rendering:

cubby14 thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • suezbell
    2 years ago

You might consider adding another horizontal trim board above the " chair railing" -- but instead of below the wallpaper, above it -- at 9' or 10' high and paint the ceiling and the wall above that higher horizontal board the same color to visually shrink the height of the room.

cubby14 thanked suezbell
  • suezbell
    2 years ago

Some faux windows come (or can be built with) lights so with a faux window on the wall alongside the toilet, you could have a light source not as high or bright as the one over sink. If, like me, you grew up with the latest Readers' Digest usually on the tank top so its short articles could be enjoyed while on the throne, a light to the left could be useful.

• Fori
    2 years ago

I like your new sample much better! Do it all!!

(The firsts one looks like someone's been counting their days in prison to me. :P)

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

I think of powder rooms as jewel boxes designed to entertain guests as well as to serve their more basic needs. Go for full on four walls, BUT be careful that you don't go too dark or the color will soak up all the light and guests can't really see themselves in the mirror. I prefer a more relaxing pattern than that first one you showed. It would make me anxious to get out of the room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I love that new one. I think it is very pretty and interesting. With some wide white mat art and your mirror it would be broken up enough to be just right.

• cubby14
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone, I think I am really liking that latest one. I’m going for it. It’ll be a bit before it’s done since my wallpaper guy is booked for a while but I’ll post when it’s up.