Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisachew5

How to remove haze from Tenax granite sealer

lisachew5
2 years ago

We sealed our porous (absorbed water) quartzite with Tenax Proseal today. Followed the directions but ended up with a streaky, waxy looking haze. Maybe because we used microfiber cloths to wipe the countertops?

I read somewhere that applying the same solvent based sealer for a few minutes and wiping it off with a cotton cloth can remove the haze. Is that the best solution? Thanks!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Contact the manufacturer.

• lisachew5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I was planning to try that tomorrow but hoped one of the pros who recommended Tenax would chime in tonight.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Try acetone on a clean white cloth please.

lisachew5 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • lisachew5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Joseph. assuming that takes off the excess, shoud the sealer still be intact?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

I used acetone to remove excess sealer residue. I don't know if it actually removed all of the sealer, but it did remove the haze beautifully. I have a granite that didn't need sealing in the first place, though, so no big deal if it's gone. Why are against re-sealing if it needs it?

• lisachew5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

mxk3-because we did it ourselves, the chemical was very strong smelling and, most importantly, the house is still under construction and I was afraid of something staining the countertops before we were able to do it again. Glad the acetone worked for you!

• lstyson
    2 years ago

Can you use acetone on caesarstone?

• lstyson
    2 years ago

I have honed Caesarstone Raw Concrete, honed finish, and Tenax sealer left horrible streaking once it was wiped or touched.. Bar Keepers Friend did nothing to help. Shows every spot counter is touched. Awful. Not sure I should use acetone to remove it but nothing works and 0000 steel wool is a bit scary!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Try some Tenax Quartz Toner please.

• lisachew5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I spoke with a Tenax rep before doing the 0000 steel wool/Tenax combination. I used the steel wool to put a coating of Tenax on the hazy countertop, wiped it down immediately with a clean cotton cloth and it worked perfectly. For a second coat of Tenax to take the hazy coat off, I was told you need to do it within a few days of the first coat.

I understand your hesitation to use the steel wool. Could you try it in an inconspicuous area? I hope it works for you!

• lstyson
    2 years ago

Thank you! I will give it a try as I've used 0000 steel wool on wood/varnish projects with a lot of success but still is a bit scary!;-)

• homebuyer23
    2 years ago

Lisachew5 How is your quartzite holding up? I put a deposit down on a white quartzite similar to yours. It passed etch and scratch tests but the surface does absorb oil. Not water though. I’m hoping when it’s professionally sealed it will not absorb oils.

• lstyson
    2 years ago

We have Caesarstone Raw Concrete that was sealed. DO NOT SEAL THIS PRODUCT! Oh, my goodness, it took my husband and me hours to remove the sealant that is recommended for this product as it made it streaky and dirty looking all the time. As this is a honed finish product, it is more absorbant but don't seal it. It is easy to clean spots with Bar Keepers Friend liquid product and a sponge. We had to manually remove the sealant with Cerama Bryte cooktop cleaner which did not damage the quartz at all but was only successful with multiple applications and lots of elbow grease. I love the honed look as this is a mountain home but I have polished quartz throughout our primary residence that is no hassle at all. If I did it again I would probably use a polished finish quartz as it is not permable and much easier to maintain especially in kitchens and baths. Sorry for the lengthy response but if you are looking for lower maintenance go with a polished finish!

• lisachew5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Homebuyer23, so far, so good. I had a little panic when someone splashed olive oil on it and because we didnt see it for hours, it left a mark. I looked online and followed instructions to make a pultice of water and baking soda and cover it with Saran wrap and that solved the problem pretty quickly.

We’ve only been in the house 3 months and we wipe it down regularly. I love the look of it and as of right now, i can say I would do it again.