Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_743810687

white kitchen cabs

5 years ago

Cabs will be done tomorrow and I’m still torn over countertops.. been looking at the white quartz or the black granite .. my husband likes the black .. opinion ? Also, love the black backsplash but was wondering would it be to dark with the black granite if I went that route .. black backsplash with white grout . Thanks

Comments (62)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I agree with other posters - white cabinetry with black countertops and backsplash are most appropriate for a contemporary home. Don't believe it works as well in a traditional or transitional home. Good luck!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I like the black countertops best -- they're classic, and they give contrast to the room.

    I don't like the black backsplash -- it'll bring in "too much of a good thing". Note that your example picture is flooded with light. That kitchen has more windows than yours OR (more likely) the photographer has brought in lights to make the room look bright ... note that the over-sink light and under-cabinet lights are burning. I really think your room (with one window) will be dark if you go with black cabinets AND black backsplash.

    Another question is, what kind of cabinet doors are you installing? Your picture doesn't show that yet -- if you're using solid doors, that's more-more-more white coming in /more reason to go with the contrasting black countertop. On the other hand, if you're using glass doors (even if you put white dishes behind the glass), that's less white than a solid door.

    Regardless, in your space, I vote for black countertops and white or non-black backsplash.

  • 5 years ago

    Perhaps a black stone with white veining will soften the severity of an all black countertop. Sometimes it’s called American Black. That will also look good with a white backsplash. Keep in mind there are a ton of white tile shapes that can add interest to your backsplash. Here is a honed granite that is black with white veins.

  • 5 years ago

    I will post cab doors today once they finish Thank you all !

  • 5 years ago

    Black granite was my worst choice. impossible to keep clean. Every smudge, print, or poorly cleaned counter by hubby or kids shows

  • 5 years ago

    I view black counters with white cabinets as classic. Both my daughter’s have it in their co- ops. But But, they have white subway tile. No problem with the way it looks.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I have white shaker cabinets, polished Black Pearl countertops and a white subway tile backsplash. I think it is a classic look for my small condo kitchen.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Having had both quartz and granite countertops, i much prefer quartz as it doesn’t need to be sealed, never stains, and is practically indestructible i agree with many of your advisers that all black would look too dark, but black and white can look a little harsh. Here is a compromise you might like: white cabinets, light grey quartz countertops, and dark grey tile backsplash with matching grout. (Does anybody know why I can't upload the photo?)

  • 4 years ago

    Backsplash: black with white grout - is too busy and with black counters will be very dark. The white quartz is supposed to be un-stainable. But white cabinets with white quartz & white backsplash would be sterile. I’m not a fan of either choice. Of those you mentioned grey would be better - but add some warmth in the backsplash. My kitchen has a tumbled stone backsplash on angle for warmth & texture my neighbors have slate look tile. Both look great with white cabinets and dark green/black granite. You can have dark countertops without starkness of black. I like the French-country ‘black n white’ in big spaces but it also needs warmth and texture. What are you doing on the floor?

  • 4 years ago

    Consider white quartz with veining with gray backsplash (darkest shade of veining) OR charcoal gray/soapstone like granite counters with a white back splash. I don't think that 1 window (with shutters) will provide enough light for a black-on-black kitchen

  • 4 years ago

    Go buy lots of sample tile and bring them home to see how they look. You can buy granite 12x12 floor tile to serve as counter samples. I assume your keeping the warm wood floors- I’m not sure a ‘cool’ grey countertop will look good. My other neighbors have blackish granite with sparkles that look like stars, nebula and the Milky Way: black with warmth. Get samples - look at them throughout the day/night

  • 4 years ago

    We have hardwood floors .. going to restain at some point but not sure what stain yet

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Perhaps a black stone with white veining will soften the severity of an all black countertop.

    I like this idea! Still black, but softer.

    Black granite was my worst choice. impossible to keep clean. Every smudge, print, or poorly cleaned counter by hubby or kids shows

    This is true -- I had forgotten, but once we rented a vacation condo that had black granite countertops, and -- yes -- they did show every crumb, every water spot. That's a weakness of Houzz; it shows us kitchens "at their best" /perfectly clean /no clutter. That's not the world in which most of us live.

    The questions are, How does this fit into your own habits? How much would crumbs /spots bother you?

    Go buy lots of sample tile and bring them home to see how they look.

    You could even test this with black poster board, which is lighter and cheaper than tile. $10 and an evening of cutting and taping could give you more information than all of us here on this board.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I would be cautious of a material with too much pronounced veining. With a u-shaped kitchen, you'll have seams and it will be difficult to line up the veins. A more uniform top will serve you well with this layout.

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks everyone

  • 4 years ago

    FYI, with dark granite (or any granite), after cleaning with a mild soap/water, spray them with alcohol and water, 50/50. They will look like new!

  • 4 years ago

    I've had black granite countertops for several years. They show streaks after cleaning IF they are not wiped down immediately with a dry or microfiber cloth. I'd not get black again--unless it's a honed finish.

  • 4 years ago

    I have had absolute black granite with white cabinets and white backsplash in 2 previous kitchens. The first was polished, the second was honed. I never regretted it and found them very low maintenance. I preferred the honed since it looked more like soapstone, but much more durable. I never had to reseal either in the 7 years we lived in each of those homes and the kitchens got heavy use.I prefer natural stone to quartz in the kitchen since they can tolerate hot cookware and the black granite does not stain. I love the idea of the dark grey, leathered granite that was mentioned, since that will be a bit different and more interesting. I agree with previous comments that a black backsplash may be too dark for the natural light in your kitchen. With that being said, your kitchen looks beautiful and I am sure once all the decisions are made you will enjoy it for many years to come.

  • 4 years ago

    Look up the site "Countertop News". They have an article on black counters that is full of ideas and tips. The combination of black counter and white or patterned back splash jumped out at me in several of their pictures. Take a look.


  • 4 years ago

    My current house has black granite countertops. I would not have selected this. It is difficult to see spills and i find granite is too much maintenance . I have a kitchen renovation due in our vacation house. I am planning to use a light colored quartz countertop. We used quartz in a bathroom renovation. It is easy to maintain and does not have the busyness of granite. Twenty plus years ago we used a dark pearl granite countertop for a bar area. That was fine as it was not a high use area. . For the kitchen in that house we had light colored cabinets with a bisque Corian countertop. My personal preference is for light countertops and backsplash.

  • 4 years ago

    In my recent remodel, I did white shaker upper/lower cabinets with black absolute honed perimeter counter tops and a mid tone gray subway tile. Center island has Java cabinet with white/ grey veined quartz (viatera minuet). And stools are a grey/taupe fabric. I just have window over sink and glass single door to deck I kitchen. Plenty of light. Love both countertops… especially the contrast with the black honed counter. They do require a little more care than the quartz… being careful of grease by stovetop and wipe down water. I occasionally use Parker and Bailey kitchen cabinet cream on the counter top to clean, shine and reduce water spots.

    Good luck with your choices… take your time to choose. I found that if I looked at what Houzz photos I saved, that told me what I’d be happy with.

  • 4 years ago

    I had Angola Black leathered granite countertops in my previous home and liked them very much. They weren't veined, but had some subtle color variation that I liked much better than Absolute Black. In the leathered finish, they read more as a warm charcoal grey. They had a newer granite treatment that uses some sort of high pressure to pull sealer/resin through the slab from beneath. It's supposed to hold up for at least twenty years without requiring re-sealing. I don't know how accurate that is... how can you know whether something that's only existed for three years or so will last twenty? In any case, they were very easy care as long as I had them. Two notes, though: a thicker slab or a countertop with a double-thick bullnose can look very massive (worked well in my log house, but I wouldn't recommend it in your traditional kitchen). Also, if you love to bake, be aware that leathered finish isn't great for rolling and kneading because of the texture. That's easily solved with a marble slab, but I wish someone at the stone store had told me beforehand.


    I'd think very hard about the black backsplash idea. It can easily read from a distance as creating a solid black horizontal line around your kitchen with your white cabinets looking sort of "bitsy" in comparison.

  • 4 years ago

    I agree with Donna when she mentions the black horizontal line around the kitchen and the visual effect it will create. I also think that a black backsplash would look very contemporary vs transitional or classic that you might get with white black splash. Depends on what the rest of your house reads.. and what the rooms off of the kitchen look like. I think you want something that will be compatible with the feel of your house

  • 4 years ago

    Another photo of my kitchen with black honed countertops with white cabinets, gray backsplash. Island has white/grey veined countertop.

  • 4 years ago

    It’s beautiful

  • 4 years ago

    Is the honed a rough finish ?

  • 4 years ago

    No not at all… just more a matte, non-shiny finish, not like a polished finish would be. I think someone else said the honed is more like soapstone.. more a charcoal color. I had just put the cream polish on it so it might appear more shiny than it was when installed..

  • 4 years ago

    My remodeled vacation home has white maple cabinets with black quartz countertops and stainless steel subway tiles for back splash. I get lots of compliments and love the combination. Classic.

  • 4 years ago

    The stainless subway is pretty

  • 4 years ago

    I recently installed honed black granite tops, wanted a soapstone look but didn’t have the money (and the house isn’t worth it). I have no regrets but I’m constantly looking for my phone because it blends in with the counters! 🤣

  • 4 years ago

    I would be hesitant about both backsplash and countertops in black….. it looks like not a lot of natural light in your kitchen and it may be too dark. One or the other in black, with white to off set. I think a white quartz with veining and a textured black subway tile would look nice

  • 4 years ago

    I just tried to post this comment a few minutes ago…and it didnt show up…so sorry if this appears as a dupe!


    We recently completed a full-gut kitchen remodel. I wanted blue-ish/teal-ish perimeter cabinets, and alabaster for the island and buffet.


    We used Dekton ”Bromo” - a matte dark grey (by Cosentino) for the countertops, and a plain elongated tile in a medium grey for the backsplash. I had them place the tile with very thin color-matched grout lines, in a 1/3 offset pattern. This eliminated the ”brick-layered” pattern that is so popular with regular subway tile, and served to draw the eye across the kitchen. I wanted the backsplash to just complement the cabs & counters and calmly bring everything together.


    The Dekton (a ”sintered’” man-made stone, as opposed to “quartz”) is absolutely spectacular. it has ZERO POROSITY, wont fade, and can’t be scratched, stained, or burned. We couldn't be happier with it.


    I’m attaching a few pics so you can see the countertops/backsplash with the alabaster sections included. Just try to look past the blue!


    Have fun with this last stage of your remodel; it’s so exciting to see everything come together and have your vision realized once these final decisions are made!

  • 4 years ago

    MarybocaTX your pics didn’t upload but please try again, would love to see them!

  • 4 years ago

    Here are the pics:








  • 4 years ago

    I have both black granite and white quartz in my kitchen and like the look of both the only problem with the black granite is that it shows water spots so when you wipe them down you also have to dry them. kind of a pain.

  • 4 years ago

    Mary, your kitchen is gorgeous

  • 4 years ago

    Mary I wish I had an ounce of your bravery for color, spectacular!

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you both!

  • 4 years ago

    Mary, I’m redoing my whole master bath next I need your help .. you are good

  • 4 years ago

    I have black countertops and I hate them. when they are clean and shiny they are great. Get the smallest bit of dust and they look terrible. Changed the island to Montblanc by Caesarstone. That looks terrific.

  • 4 years ago

    Bridget, you are so sweet!

    I’m happy to help in any way I can. We actually did a gut-remodel on our master bath as well. I definitely know what I like…and am not shy about strong-arming the contractor into realizing my vision!

    We certainly butted heads over a few things that he swore wouldn’t work, or look good, or both, but I triumphed in the end (of course) and now he has incorporated a few of those ideas into some of his subsequent renovations.

    You’re welcome, Mr. Contractor. 🤣

  • 4 years ago

    I had black granite for years. It cleaned easily and didn’t stain, but it does scratch and I had to dust it off almost daily. ( the counters I didn’t use when I cooked). We bought a new house and I KNEW I’d never pick black granite again. I picked a creamy color quartz.

  • 4 years ago

    Go Mary !!

  • 4 years ago

    We put black granite countertops as my husband wanted black . I so regret that decision . No matter what I have tried for cleaners, a film is left on them. Sooooo frustrating as the black is beautiful .

  • 4 years ago

    I’m surprised that so many people commented that they don’t like their black countertop as we love ours! We installed honed and leathered Negresco granite on our stove/focal wall cabinets. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t run my hand over the beautiful surface! Maybe because it is honed and leathered it holds up better? I hope you find the perfect solution for you as I know this is a big decision, good luck!

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    We just finished our kitchen remodel and I chose a dark warm grey for countertop color only because we added two skylights. Pre-remodel, we had about as much natural light as you do and it would have been a black hole. We also have a rustic style house with a heavy and dark stone fireplace that's in view of the kitchen so I felt like I needed to balance that visual weight with dark counters. I haven't installed a backsplash yet, so worst case scenario you can always wait on that.

    Also, I knew I'd have to clean the dark color more than our previous white, but wow. Everything little crumb and waterspot shows. But maybe that's because I can actually see now in the kitchen due to the new skylights!

  • 4 years ago

    Susan, what color is your backsplash?

  • 4 years ago

    @Susan Sease i'd love to see more photos! Negresco honed is one we are highly considering. We are on a waitlist and i picked the slab bundle..but who knows if the slab choices will be what we like once it comes to the supplier in Dec.

  • 4 years ago

    Sara Glenn I do not think you will be disappointed, truly a beautiful stone! Here are some more shots, backsplash is white tile from the Tile Bar…