Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_59374267

relocating kitchen, what to do with old kitchen?

Winnie
2 years ago

Hi everyone,
I’m planning to relocate my kitchen to the back of the house, but I’m stumped on what to do with the old kitchen once I move it to the back.

Depending on what the structural engineer says, I plan to knock down bedroom and the office / sitting area and make that the entire kitchen.

I would love some opinions? Thanks!

Comments (43)

• cheri127
    2 years ago

Craft room, home gym, home office, children's playroom?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

My opinion is that you need to hire a local architect that can assist you in designing a home that meets your needs. There may be better ways to meet your needs and that is what architects do.

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

You would not need the full bathroom if you move the kitchen. So consider moving this too. You have a lot of possibilities of what can be achieved since you are open to moving plumbing and water lines.

• Verbo
    2 years ago

Terribly expensive really terrible idea. It’s located in the best possible spot already. Losing a bedroom lowers your home value. Spending 100K+ on moving the kitchen plus the drop in value from losing the bedroom easily loses you every bit of that 100K. .

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Doesn't hurt to splash this around before calling a pro ... what happens if you close up the wall that allows a view into the kitchen [from entry]?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

.. even 'move' frig up a bit -- to also create a tiny coat closet?

• everdebz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If you want, switch bedroom and office - with some work involved, is it possible to access stairs from a hall next to newly smaller sitting room?

I prefer frig near a sink - could frig go where somewhere near the stair 'landing'? If up to code, stairs that create proper space for it all...

• bpath
    2 years ago

If the stairs will be accessible from the new kitchen as well as the old, the old kitchen will be a dandy laundry room with lots of storage.

• User
    2 years ago

Better flow could be achieved open this area up and reconfiguring the kitchen

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

We did just that, in our case it made sense to create a larger mud-laundry room and a new powder room. Some of the space was also used for a pantry, but my layout is very different from yours. You need to see beyond where the walls are now if you go through this, it won't be quick or cheap. Zero regrets, it was worth all the chaos that we lived in for quite a while. Good luck!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO nothing is gained by moving the kitchen but a better design for the space it is in would be my first thought .Maybe explain why this seems like the only choice to you. I see all kinds of possibilities in the original spot

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

My biggest reason was for the view (and size of the new kitchen vs the old one). I went from staring at my neighbor's wall right by our garage, to looking at my backyard through huge windows.

• bpath
    2 years ago

I imagine the draw is to have access to the back yard from the kitchen, which will likely include a family room space or dining, instead of from a closed-off sitting room and a bedroom.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Up to you, but a landscape pro could spend the money to make your boundary line with their garage look much better. Sound of a water fountain? Fragrance with a shrub to enjoy now and then.... make it perfect for that particular window for starters... do you sit out there ever? if someone is lazying on a bench out there, you can see them... ;)

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I think your entry is called an "air lock" helpful to keep out snowy cold winds.

Possible to remove its walls to reconfigure? and eliminate current framing.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Also where is the plumbing upstairs? by chance above the kitchen sink?

When you walk in a house these days, a stove and wonderful accent tile isn't unheard of. If entry opens toward LR... a half/pony wall could allow a decent view to a well-accented stove wall.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

What about rotating? sink under window... frig moved. Stove shares the wall with stairs, etc... it's fun. ... maybe wall shared with DR: island that doesn't butt too far out, with stools that look to the backyard...

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Laundry room was mentioned earlier - just brainstorming -

Capitol Hill DC Hidden Small Laundry Room · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Storage, a twin lounging daybed, etc....

nook · More Info

Greenwood Village Entire Home Remodel · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Call me kidding I have another idea as do others -- for access to kitchen with groceries etc...

will ask what you have now on the window wall [looking at neighbor's garage]?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I feel I should point out the floor plan shows the space under the stairs that goes to the level above is taken up with the stairs that goes to the level below.

Hire a local architect so they can see the existing conditions that will impact the design.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I've read yours Mark on houzz, so If I may address you directly - as a basic idea for OP shown on drawing: can the flat stair landing opened to kitchen, be framed in to access from adjacent 11x11' room? Then an extended counter could be installed there. [Always hire who makes it the best and up to code.]

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

It is possible to have access to the stair from the bedroom, but I do not know what is in the wall and I do not know all the needs of the OP. That is why I recommend a local architect that can perform the necessary investigations.

• Winnie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi everyone! Wow thank you for the response. I am still thinking about the layout. Currently my kitchen is way too small and not enough counter spaces. We are open to keeping the existing kitchen location, but not a fan of the lack of counter / storage. The staircase leads to upstairs and the door that’s closed leads to the basement.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

A photo-idea for closed wall directly into kitchen - then frig some cabinetry near it? course not this amount - and seems a tiny counter --

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Winnie, I wish I could draw/post an idea. Your photo of 2 stair doors [and sink in middle] -- if not clear, my question is if reworking doors for stairs? then that wall would be empty, ready for ??

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Cheaper than moving a kitchen I bet - installing new stairs at very top and new door, then to face backyard.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

The solid black square - is it mechanical stuff? a casual eat-in island could be formed around it - open shelves perhaps.

Have to enter kitchen to the right of island.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Ok stove is facing the view -- adding storage like this house, and/or open upper wall.

Custom Colonial Kitchen & Breakfast Nook · More Info

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Start thinking about more accessible storage: here's how to get it below. Fridge definitely needs to be fewer steps from the sink. Have you considered moving the door from the foyer to the living room wall so you can add all that area to your kitchen? I would make all the yellow a large galley kitchen and put a walk in pantry where the range is.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

decoenthusiaste - may I say thank you? :) for the yellow that I was saying. But to do away with a reason to move the kitchen, she's gotta open the wall above the stove. Add cabinets like the photo I posted has.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

deco - how much do you know of reworking stairs, so that where built-in is - OP has door moved there?

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

I'm thinking the counters/appliances in a galley configuration with a traffic path on the stairwell end and the blue lines here would be the walk in pantry (could even have a sliding door there to save space.. As for the bath, I would not want the toilet and sink on the dining room wall for the noise factor. Perhaps a powder room opening up to the office/sitting room, with a simple toilet with topper sink on the exterior wall. Then put a laundry area where the door now opens into the bath.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=toilet+tank+sink&atb=v181-1&iax=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Feco-buildingproducts.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F12%2FSinkPositive-in-Bathroom.jpg&ia=images

• Winnie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Everdbez- my laundry is located on the second floor. So no need to add it to the main floor. As for the black square that’s what the chimney is. We can’t move that or would very expensive.

• Winnie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Decoenthusiaste- I love the galley kitchen idea!

• everdebz
    2 years ago

How does sink/ DW fit into galley layout?

Is chimney of value to reveal as an accent? It can add, but depends on the whole look.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

IMO, the chimney would be inside the pantry. Laundry would be in the "north" end of the bath, and the "south" end of it would open into the office/sitting room with just a toilet that has the sink built into the top of the tank connected to plumbing where the tub is. Unless there is room for a combo washer/dryer under a counter, I think the galley would be too small to waste drawer space with laundry when the full bath is right there and plumbed. New plumbing in the galley would be the major investment, but OP was planning for a major plumbing move anyway, so it is probably budgeted.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Look at the amount of storage here with pullouts and drawers.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

This is a very expensive proposition and I wonder if it is money well spent.

Are you better off renovating what you have or buying something that is what you want?

Most people will only see about 50% of the money they spend renovating returned when they sell. (HGTV is not real).

If you plan on staying in this home for 20 years or more it may be worth doing.

• course411
    2 years ago

Would something like this work?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

In one respect, we're at this backwards -- what's your desire for an efficient set-up? ... to think it through, read up on planning, sounds like a good idea.

I read on houzz: "No pantry? On a blank wall, install a couple of Ikea Pax wardrobes and finish it off with trim [make it look built-in]."

Not all has to match - if there's a spot already apart from cabinets, etc., that can be an 'accenting place' for a diy....

• cpartist
    2 years ago

How old is this house?

Have you considered flipping the kitchen with the dining room which would give you a better possible layout

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Kitchen tasks sometimes they say proceed from frig.. walking to sink to wash. Still think frig where door to stairs is would be great.

Isn't the door there at times inconvenient?