Software
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Comfortable Bar Stools

4 years ago

I will be working from home and I have NO room for a desk in my tiny apartment. I do have a kitchen island that would serve the same purpose.


I was wondering if anyone could suggest some affordable and comfortable counter height bar stools. I will probably be better off finding some with a back.


Any and all suggestions are welcome!


TIA,

Amy

Comments (19)

  • 4 years ago

    I wonder if a drafting chair like what architects use at drawing tables could be adjusted to a height that would work for you?


    Good luck on your new job!

    amykath thanked maddielee
  • 4 years ago

    That is a good idea Maddie! It won't be pretty but definitely practical.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Our local World Market has a variety of stools. They are reasonably priced, and most are on display for you to try out.

    eta Target, too. I like to be able to sit in them first, so T usually has some on display.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Home Goods generally will have some one offs -- for some reason they never have a set of chairs so they end up with a lot of "orphan" chairs.

    At a higher price point but with very good quality, Carrington Court direct has some with arms that can be customized to any color scheme. I've found their padding and durability to be very good.

    There are also now more commercial office chairs with ergonomic designs for office situations where people stand for part of the time. Search for "stand up" office (as well as the "drafting chair" as mentioned above)

    amykath thanked Gooster
  • 4 years ago

    This is something I often see for sale on Craigs list, albeit usually a set of them

    amykath thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • 4 years ago

    Do you need to do zoom calls and such? If not I find I am really comfortable sitting in my bed against the headboard with a ”husband” pillow behind me and I have an adjustable u table that rolls under the bed and over my lap. not cute but comfy.

    amykath thanked Anne
  • 4 years ago

    No specific suggestions, but I'd look for one that swivels as well as has a back and adjusts for height too if possible.

    amykath thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I would want a drafting stool with casters instead of a barstool.

    Staples has a lot of them - not pretty, but practical. Definitely sit in whatever before buying. Also make sure that the seats will adjust to the proper height. At work, I had an intermediate height drafting stool, so that it would adjust from desk height to drafting height. A lot of drafting stools are too high and will not adjust low enough.

    amykath thanked Lars
  • 4 years ago

    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am not sure yet how my day to day will be. Once I start, I will know more.


    I think it will likely be best to get a drafting stool so I am comfortable. I sure wish my place was a bit bigger!

  • 4 years ago

    Can we ask about your new job? i know you have had a journey and am excited for you!

  • 4 years ago

    Anne, it is nothing too exciting. I will be working for a large investment firm managing several manager's calendars and other admin type duties. Quite honestly, I do not know what my day to day will be. I will report back once I start, which is this Monday. It is a vast departure from working with child protective services... which is exactly what I wanted. Being responsible for people's lives and the paperwork and huge case loads that went with it, was too much for me.

  • 4 years ago

    You really want a chair that is meant to be sat in for long periods of time, something similiar to a drafting chair is probably best.


    When my husband started working from home at the beginning of the pandemic he used our bar height island as his office, using one of our standard bar chairs for seating. About six months down the road he developed edema in one of his legs. The doctor thinks it was caused by sitting in the barstool for extended hours. Through a change in seating, medication and compression socks this is mostly under control now but it took about six months for his leg to get back close to normal. Of course everyone‘s body is different and this may not be a problem for you, but if I needed to work at our bar height island I would want a draftsman or similiar type chair.

    amykath thanked jill302
  • 4 years ago

    Well, looks like a have two monitors and one is large. I will buy a desk and get rid of another piece. Unfortunately, I have to set it up in my bedroom, which I did not want to do. However, it is the only space in which I can do it.

    Thanks for all of the advice!

    I will post photos once I am done.

  • 4 years ago

    I think you’ll be so much more comfortable at a desk. Or maybe I‘m just projecting. :D

    No matter how nice a barstool is, my back starts hurting after a while. Remember when bar height dining sets were popular? We had friends with those, and even after copious amounts of wine I’d be hurting.

    Anyway, so hope the job goes well! :)

    amykath thanked Jilly
  • 4 years ago

    Arcy said what I was thinking about needing to plant your feet beyond a stool rung. A chair allows you to twist and turn, shift your weight, move your feet, and stand up easily. Stools are fine to perch for a limited time, but not as an ergonomic workstation. Your body will thank you at the end of the workday.

    amykath thanked Bunny
  • 4 years ago

    AK, if possible, try to find as chair with arms. They're nice to rest the elbows on. Congrats!

    amykath thanked Oakley
  • 4 years ago

    Thanks you guys! I will post a photo once I am all set up.

  • 4 years ago

    One more thing…make sure your shoulders are not hunched when you operate your computer from the stool. It will affect your neck/shoulders eventually if you can’t sit in a comfortable, relaxed position to operate the mouse and keyboard and view the screen.

    amykath thanked OutsidePlaying
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting