Software
Houzz Logo Print
terri_pereira

kitchen facelift

4 years ago

Keeping cabinets and countertops
Need lighting- brushed silver or brushed gold
Cabinet knobs to match lighting
Floors being restrained refinished
Looking for traditional updated -not trendy not farmhouse.
New window treatment above sink.

Comments (19)

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    can't see the floors.

    are you keeping the backsplash?

    so all you want is hardware and lighting?

    go w/something less Tuscan, more transitional, use handles (pulls) on the upper doors instead of knobs.

    For the pendants,


    try something w/the ORB and gold, or black/gold, bring in matte black faucet.



    if you want more gold




    I'd take off the window treatment and let in as much light as possible. Or, do somehting simiple like an off-white roman shade, inset withing the window, and not as a valance.

    change out the LED canned lights to something in the 4000K range to reduce the yellow hue.




    I like the off white paint color. Again, wait until you've changed out your bulbs

  • 4 years ago

    Yes keeping the tile but removing lighting decor painting walls to get rid of the Tuscan look. Didn’t included floor cuz they will be refinished can go any color.

  • 4 years ago

    Can that little Tuscan rope twist detail be removed from the crown?

  • 4 years ago

    deco, I had that exact rope trim on my cabs. I had it removed but the holes were filled and painted.




    they may be able to remove it from hers if she wants, and replace w/something more transitional. good idea.

  • 4 years ago

    How would I find the same finish I know the color is not current - it was done in around 2005- they are Omega cabinets - would they still mix the stain if needed?

  • 4 years ago

    Is the company that did them still around or not? That might be a place to start your research.

  • 4 years ago

    why do you want to match the stain? do you plan on adding something?

    a wood finisher would be able to match the stain. however, touching up something on the factory finished cabinets might be an issue.

  • 4 years ago

    Won’t I need to put something over the nail holes to cover it if I take rope off?
    These were factory finished.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    they use tiny pin nails. you may or may not see it.

    it would be about this size.


    if you do, I'd get a dark wood putty and mix it w/the stain color that matches your cabinets. (it's easier enough to match it.) mix the wood putty filler and the stain, take a toothpick and carefully fill the little pin hole. smooth it with your finger so that it's flush.

    this is the stuff and you'd mix it w/the right stain color. (or, find a wood filler that closely matches your cabinet color)




    https://www.amazon.com/Mohawk-Fil-Stik-Furniture-Cabinet-M230-1250/dp/B00WQ47N1M/ref=asc_df_B00WQ47N1M



    https://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Scratch-Restorer-Compound-Hardwood/dp/B07YJSBN8C/ref=asc_df_B07YJSBN8C


    or, this one


    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MW3RHKY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5






    that should be all it takes.

  • 4 years ago

    Get a little tube of wood filler to fill any nail holes.


  • 4 years ago

    So after considering options - I am leaning to Revere pewter walls, brushed nickel knobs and pulls and brushed nickel light fixtures-
    Now questioning wood floor colors- the flooring runs throughout first floor- wood furniture is either medium cherry or a little darker
    Thinking of a color a little darker than cabinets for flooring .
    Opinions ?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    so you want to get all new wood flooring? we're going to have see the room pictures again. and the furniture. I think you posted it on another dilemma? if so, why not keep the questions over there?

    Would you consider painting your island?

  • 4 years ago

    Here’s the picture of room and tile backsplash - I think I’ve decided on Revere Pewter paint ( edgecomb grey feels too light).
    Light fixture - open to whatever but leaning toward brushed nickel cuz black seems like it would accentuate countertop too much?
    I like the idea of brushed gold lighting and knobs pulls but would that accentuate the honey cabinets or compliment them ?
    Can cabinet pulls be different color than light fixture ? Worried brushed nickel everywhere would be so boring.
    Thinking maybe brushed gold or champagne - depends on what I can get in 12” to go on built in paneled fridge.
    Will do simple neutral Roman shade.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    a soft gold would look great. and yes you can mix metal colors. I'd opt for a black faucet though.

    I did this matte black Delta faucet and also have the gold hardware.


    You plan on doing diff pendants over the island?

    You could do ORB hardware. but I'd do handles instead of knobs on all the doors.




    what about these pendants?




    can you post a pic that shows the island and the lighting above it?


    before I painted, I had very similar cabs/tile like yours. I actually did copper hardware, sink and faucet


  • 4 years ago

    Really nice mock up Beth. The white really opens this space up.


    As an aside you may want to get a new sink. I'd have trouble working with that with the two small sides rather than one big sink or a large sink and small side. I wouldn't be able to get most of my bakeware in that sink. It's not a big expense if that's an issue.


    I'd have to consider new backsplash. Not a big expense. You can do it yourself easily. It would add a lot of light. It feels like it's constricting the space quite a bit. I'd want to open that up visually.



  • 4 years ago

    Thank you for all the suggestions - I found 2 Possibilities for lighting - thought about a new backsplash but husband is afraid the wall will get damaged removing the current tile and just wants to leave it alone.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I think I like the glass one #2, better than the other.

    The first one has a bit of an island vibe.

    Then you could do the faucet in the gold or the black. (that Delta faucet I have was not expensive, easy to keep clean, and works great)



    this combo would look great. more of an ORB w/a dark bronze or black sink.


    and yes, if you can swing it, get a larger sink. Do a copper sink!


    these sinks come in a variety of shades. This second one is like mine




    https://www.houzz.com/products/miseno-mc3219sr-32-single-basin-hammered-copper-undermount-kitchen-sink-prvw-vr~107477388

    or you could do something like this w/the brass faucet


    I know it seems trivial, but if you're going w/all new hardware and new pendants, have the faucet match one of those colors.





  • 4 years ago

    I also like to upgrade my kitchen please share your suggestions and designs