Just curious but has anyone struck beech hardwood cuttings?
I will be planting a mixed hedge in the next couple of days which will entail the Beech, Copper Beech, Hornbeam and Holly, all in 2-3l pots, being reduced by up to 60%, so lots of cuttings which I will just prepare as h/w cuttings and trench them at the edge of the hedge and trust to luck.
The Holly should; Hornbeam unlikely as it is propargated by s/w cuttings. But the Beechs?
All sites I look at state, with 150% certainty that you cannot propagate from cuttings of any shape, size or flavour.
Yet, I can go to retail hedging suppliers and buy, 12"-18", cell grown beech whips for <£2.00 each.
These have to have been produced by cuttings. They can't be seed grown at that price.
Fof
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
thefof Zone 8/9 UKOriginal Author
Related Professionals
Crestview Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Branson Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Hartford Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Moline Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Eau Claire Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · York Landscape Contractors · Winona Landscape Contractors · Akron Landscape Contractors · Newport Landscape Contractors · Bakersfield Landscape Contractors · Salina Architects & Building Designers · Rolla Architects & Building Designers · Fayetteville Architects & Building Designers · Rochester Architects & Building Designers · Edmonton Architects & Building Designersfloral_uk z.8/9 SW UK