Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabitha_spivey

help with living room setup

Tabitha Spivey
2 years ago

I have a smallish living room that opens up to dining area and then kitchen. I’m in the process of getting it painted BM stonington gray. I just got a new sofa (shown) and sold my sectional, so lots of new space! Planning to get a couple chairs (including a recliner??) and end tables. TV is mounted and would prefer not to move. Fireplace is movable. Can someone help me figure out where to put things and what setup I should go with? ANY input is welcome! I have small children, so keep that in mind. Space is 14.5x13.

Comments (20)

• Tabitha Spivey
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sofa dimensions

• Tabitha Spivey
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No I’m not returning sofa, BUT the rug is gonna go. It’s worn out, so that can be changed.

• Tabitha Spivey
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also, I hate the blue shelf LOL, so it’s coming down for the paint. I might put it elsewhere… like you suggested though. It was only there for my previous setup.

I LOVE my fireplace though.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

If the sofa reclines, you'll have to allow for that and float it. A rug should be about two feet wider than the sofa. If you want TV above the FP, then put them on the opposite wall and lower the TV to about 5" above the top of the FP. Hope that the wall mount is an adjustable arm so you can angle the TV down for viewing. Float the sofa facing it at the charted distance and to create a walkway behind it when not in the reclined position.

• Tabitha Spivey
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So with what you are saying, should I do not divide the living area and eating are somehow?

• Tabitha Spivey
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And I’m open to not putting TV above fireplace but can’t figure out a good way to do it otherwise and include both in LR

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

If you divide the room from dining with sofa, put the TV on the larger wall so you don't have constant traffic from the front door walking past it. Definitely put it on a fully articulated arm so you can adjust to watch.

• happyleg
    2 years ago

Do you like down when you watch TV? You could also try angling the couch that it isn't straight by the wall

• Tabitha Spivey
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@happyleg I usually recline but yes sometimes lay down. I think I’m going to move the TV to that other wall and add an articulating mount so I can move it different ways. I got the rug out.

@decoenthusiaste I am unsure about putting the back of the couch to that walkway. It seems weird to walk in and face the back of the couch?

• Tabitha Spivey
    Original Author
    2 years ago

TV could go up there. But then where would chairs go (when I buy them…)

Thoughts?

• happyleg
    2 years ago

Okay that's better so you're putting the TV on that shelf make sure it's secure Shelf or you going to put on top of the fireplace oh yeah your TV doesn't have legs I would put it six inches above the fireplace or 10 at the most

• happyleg
    2 years ago

But that looks better like that

• Tabitha Spivey
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@happyleg no that shelf is coming down. I just couldn’t get it down so painter will do it tomorrow. But still mounting the tv there above fireplace

• Tabitha Spivey
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@happyleg I still want to be able to put stockings and such from fireplace so I’m leaning towards 10-12 in above

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

I foresee chiropractic bills in your future if the sofa isn't in front of the TV and the TV is high on the wall. Since the FP is movable, why not just use it here for the holidays and then take it to the master for the rest of the year? Or celebrate with your kids in the master; the better to hide the presents, my dear.

• PRO
    BANDD DESIGN
    2 years ago

We might recommend moving the TV/fireplace to where the shelf is currently hanging. We think if you place the fireplace in the middle with artwork over it, and then place the TV lower on the wall over a console, then you should be able to place the sofa facing both the fireplace and TV. You would be able to place a small console where the TV/fireplace is now and have that as an entryway. If you got two chairs they might be able to be placed where the window is, next to the door. See our images below for more inspiration.

Chloes Bloom New Build · More Info

Saratoga Hills New Build · More Info

Living Room Refresh · More Info

• Tabitha Spivey
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input!!! I actually got my TV mounted on a full motion mount this morning, and I did do it above fireplace. My living room is awfully small when I eliminate that entry area. I have a lot more to do. Purchased a rug as seen below as well. Still looking for a chair to replace this glider and some tables/decor.

• Tabitha Spivey
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Any suggestions on accent colors? There are a LOT I could choose from in the rug. Yellow pillows can go… the smallish gray recliner will be here tomorrow to replace that glider.

• Sara
    2 years ago

I’m no designer but I think you should hang something on the wall above the glider. I love the lamp and end table you added. I think your space is looking beautiful! 😍

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm