Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rajasekhar_menon

How do I modernize this "entertainment center"

Rajasekhar Menon
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are moving into our new home that is about 20 years old. The built in shelves and entertainment center are for the old tv era. My wife would like to keep the wood shelves around the TV but modernize the look. The wood and the unit are sold hard wood and really expensive when originally built. Any before and after work done in this space would be awesome to see.

Comments (8)

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

These look like the sellers' photos. Do you plan to put a new same-size tv where their tv is?

• Sarah
    2 years ago

If it’s solid hardwood you can have a fine carpenter remove some of the details and make solid doors. Perhaps the doors can be flipped inside out so the carved details are hidden inside? I’m not a pro (obviously) but have seen that done before by a fine carpenter.

Removing some of the other formal elements in the rooms will help modernize the space too. The drapes can go, replace the ceiling fan with a more modern version. The dining space light is very fussy formal and could be much more to your tastes. Putting in your furniture and rugs will go a long way to feeling at home too.

As for decorating the bookshelves, I prefer to see a family’s favorite books, a select few photos, maybe a plant or 2. Keep it simple and change things around often. Show us more pics when you move in. Congratulations!

• Rajasekhar Menon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

apple_pie_order. The pictures are the sellers. Since this is the informal "den" we intend to keep a TV. I am not wedded to the size.

Thanks for your suggestion, Sara. Planning to replace the fan and the drapes (first thing to go). My wife is on the same page as you on the books and the pictures.

• Jilly
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I know it’s not everyone’s preferred style, but it sure is beautiful to me.

I’m thinking of so many gorgeous European homes in which they kept the old fittings/built-ins/architecture and decorated around them. Even uber-mod furniture with extremely traditional house features. It can be a stunning look — paying homage to great craftmanship, while living happily around it.

I realize yours is not antique, or historically important, but the sentiment is similar. You have an ornate piece with a lot of character that could play well and be interesting with a more minimal look.

It’s hard to say more without a better picture up close … I can’t tell the stain color or what the wood is. If you aren’t loving the stain, I think this unit would look amazing painted. What color depends on other factors. We don’t know your decor style, furniture, etc.

It’s going to look different when all of this very traditional furniture and decor is out. Live with it a bit to see what changes, if any, you want to make.

Rajasekhar Menon thanked Jilly
  • acm
    2 years ago

I might paint it white to match the house's trim, and have the frou-frous removed or sanded off of the cabinet doors at the same time. It's a nice and useful piece, so you just need to make it feel a little more at home in the space and not quite so dominant.

Then the bones of the place should support just about any style you want to bring in there, from traditional to more modern, based on choices of furnishings, rugs, art, and light fixtures. Good luck!

Rajasekhar Menon thanked acm
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

That looks great! Thanks for updating us. :)

• sheila erley
    2 years ago

i love the finished product. it looks great