Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelsikelley1

paint staircase?

kelsikelley1
2 years ago

I am wanting to update my staircase. I thought about painting the handrail black along with the spindles.. Would that update it? Or should I spend the extra $$ and replace the spindles with iron and still paint the handle rail black. Eventually all walls will be white *

Comments (16)

• Tammy Botham
    2 years ago

I think it would look beautiful with the railing painted black. Those spindles are gorgeous.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

I kinda like it the way it is, since it blends nicely with your flooring.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I agree with cat_ky.

• Rachel Lee
    2 years ago

Simplify! The window trim is white, so leave the spindles

• Rachel Lee
    2 years ago

White. Paint the oak trim white and the handrail black.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Ya know how one change often leads to another? I like doing the handrail and newel post black. But! It would also lead me to painting all oak black. That means stair treads too which means replacing carpeting. So think it through before you commit.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

A few more.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 years ago

I see you have a black entry table, are there more black accents? All your lovely colors are soft and muted, and black hand rails will not contrast in a good way. I would paint them white for now, and if you are doing a major refresh, put the whole grand idea on this forum for feedback. If you want a more modern updated look, black is great, but it just feels a bit harsh against what you have now.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Sorry, Photos aren’t posting right. I will try again.

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

I think that would be beautiful to paint the railings and newel post.

• amykath
    2 years ago

I think a black or very dark paint color would look great. I love your home!

• Gcubed
    2 years ago

I would paint newel post and hand rails black if you have other black accents (in addition to that table).

• gigitn
    2 years ago

We painted our oak handrails black and left the spindles white. Looks like a million bucks!

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    2 years ago

If you're going to paint the walls later, I think you should wait until you're done painting the walls before you decide what to do with the stairs.

• Sister Tamala
    2 years ago

Similar question. We currently have orange oak-coloured bannister and spindles. If we paint them, How long will those spindles/bannisters last before they need to be repainted?I don't want to be constantly touching up Is it better to stain them?