Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dornanl

Master Bedroom Refresh - Help!

Linda Dornan
2 years ago

I am looking to refresh the decor in our Master Bedroom. We remodeled the Master Bath recently (picture below for reference), and I’d like to unify the rooms a bit more. I really like calm spaces with subtle use of color. Walls are painted SW Sea Salt. So, I selected some new shams in a natural linen, new throw pillows, plant stand and lots of real plants. Plus a new bench for the end of the bed. This is a lakefront condo (no view from the Master).

Your feedback and suggestions would be appreciated. Do you think the decorative mirrors above the bed work, or maybe a piece of artwork?

Comments (85)

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Good choice on the artwork! I understand your husband’s wish to leave his nightstand free of decor. Is it really necessary?

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@redryder No, it’s not necessary to put something there. But you know how it goes - once you start tweaking things, it’s hard to stop! So maybe I’ll leave things for a bit (once artwork is here) and learn to love the empty/quiet space of his nightstand. Oh, and I did add hand towels to the Master Bath to bring in some of my sea foam blue accent color.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Linda Dornan Can’t wait to see that art hung above the bed. Even in the mockup it looks perfect! I do agree with @salonva that moving the rug out from under the bed has made a most significant & great difference. All in the details - as is often said. 😉

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

The artwork really ties in the comforter with the room. I love it. Please update a picture when you are all finished.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

@Linda Dorian I totally understand! Once I get “going” on decorating I want to do everything.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Honest opinions, please … I mistakenly ordered the wrong size for this artwork. Does it work or is it too small? Should I bite the bullet and order the larger size? Returns are somewhat of a hassle, so I would probably try to repurpose this elsewhere.

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Hi Linda. I’m just following along. I know how important it is for us to get the right measurements, the right art, etc. to enhance our rooms. I too am waiting for the right piece to put over our bed. Will you be putting this in a frame? The colors do compliment your decor.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@lizzieborden - I hadn’t thought to frame it - it’s wrapped canvas. I do love the colors! But feel so disappointed that I made a mistake and ordered the smaller size. I really don’t want to hassle with returning it … I’m conflicted!

• Olychick
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think you should bite the bullet..maybe try to sell this on FB or CL...and get the larger one. I think you'll be disappointed every time you look at it because it's not what your vision was. Your mock up with the larger one looks perfect.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Hi @Linda Dornan - agree the colors are perfect. I don’t think the size is too small but because it’s a quiet scene & muted colors it would have more impact in a larger size. I like to play around with arrangements & tweak things so of course I have some ideas to try out. Hang one of those 3 ’flower’ shaped mirrors you have on each side of the art. Their color works with everything in room including the art & they are quiet enough to not overpower the art but the arrangement of the 3 items visually expands the scene to match headboard size. My other idea is to get a frame the size of the art you meant to buy, insert a foam core board covered with fabric like headboard is & hang the art on that so it looks floating inside the frame & the canvas wrapped sides show. Or, frame a blank canvas that is painted the sea salt wall color & hang art.. The issue might be the cost of a frame depending on size & material. If neither idea appeals, I’d just hang it as is. The size does work okay, it’s just not quite the impact you wanted. If you have another spot this art would work in such as the adjoining bath, you could look for another piece for over the bed.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is the artwork in the Master Bath. This is the only space it will fit. Does it work? Is it too big here? (too small in the bedroom, too big here .. I’m feeling like Goldilocks!!)

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Of course, it would be hung higher..

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Linda Dornan I do think that works! It adds color & interest to bath. I do see an expanse of wall in the spot reflected in the mirror in your second picture - is that also an option?

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here it is on the wall next to my vanity .. it’s the side wall of the shower enclosure. It is not a focal point in the room nor readily seen .. what do you think?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Hmmm.. not bad but maybe a bit too large for that spot. Feels cramped with the corner at right side of art compared to the open feeling if hung on wall over toilet. I think it does add a nice element to bath along with the sea salt colored towels you added. I do like your vanity lights. So, now maybe this wrong sized art can be viewed as a ’happy accident’ since it’s a nice addition here & you can search for another piece for over bed? I vote yes!

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

The wall you hang it on should be at least 25% wider than the art for balance.

• tfitz1006
    2 years ago

i think I would return the art or frame it with a generous mat.

• Stacey
    2 years ago

Please return the art and get a larger one for over your bed.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

It's fine in your bath (above the toilet) but in the larger size is PERFECT in your bedroom. You won't want 2 of the same pic and you may never find something you like as well for over the bed - but you might!

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m thinking of ordering the top artwork for over the bed and using the smaller in the bathroom. Here they are together - similar but not exact. Are they different enough to use?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

I think they are different enough - more beach in smaller one, more ocean in larger makes for much more intense color in larger one. Even if they’re similar, who besides users of master bed & bath will see much of them? Can both be seen at same time? You’re drawn to the serenity and color of them, yes? That large one is large - assume not wider than head board?

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Just in case you're cosidering art above a fireplace, it should be no wider than the firebox opening in most cases.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 years ago

Great repurpose Linda! Love it above the toilet. I would maybe put a towel ring or hook on the wall next to the sink so you don’t drip water everywhere reaching for a hand towel. Love the colors, they look great in your space!

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Is the new choice the same size as the one you showed above your bed?

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@olychick The one I’m thinking to use above my (king) bed measures 60 x 20. The smaller one measures 36 x 24, which now will go in the bathroom. I think the larger piece is better proportioned for above the bed.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I meant, in the mock up you did with the larger version (that you didn't get) was that mock up the same size as the new, larger one you might order?

• J D
    2 years ago

I think you need a larger size and to frame it once it arrives to make it stand out more against your paint color

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

The new art Linda ordered is 60” wide. King bed is 76” wide. Art hung centered will leave 8” either side - I think thats plenty big enough. Art is a bit narrow at 20” but with high headboard I think will look good in place. The image in this art lends itself to the wide view but narrow height scape.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I taped off the size (60x20) of the artwork I’m thinking to order. Coincidentally, the length is the same as the 3 white mirrors that I had there before. I like this size - what do you think?

• margimutch
    2 years ago

Linda, can you let me know what color you painted your bathroom. If it's in the messages already, apologies as I didn't see this. My bedroom color and arrangement is similar to yours and I'm debating whether to continue the blue/green in the bathroom in a lighter shade or going with a neutral and accessorizing.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@marghutch We used SW Sea Salt, I love the color so much that it’s extended throughout our home!

• margimutch
    2 years ago

Oh thanks, looking at the photos of the bathroom online it seemed different to the bedroom. Yes the Sea Salt is lovely. Mine is BM and I can't remember what it's called but I love it and it's really similar. It's very blue looking but some people see the green!

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@marghutch You’re right, the bath is SW Snowbound. Also a really nice color! I used it again in our Guest Bath.

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Linda, I’m not a pro but wanted to say that I think you’ve made a good decision in ordering a similar, larger piece of art for over the bed and keeping the original piece and hanging it over your toilet. I don’t know the height of your bathroom ceiling but possibly one shelf could go below the artwork?

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Hi Linda. Any updates on your artwork?

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@lizzie Borden Apparently, the current shipping delays are not a joke! I still haven’t received the new, larger piece for above the bed. Once I do, I will post an update so everyone can see how it looks. Hopefully soon!

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hooray! The artwork finally arrived!! Whew!

Here it is above the bed. I haven’t decided what to do with the smaller piece I originally ordered, it looks too big for the space above the toilet. So, I’m going to keep it but do some thinking on that.

If you have any other ideas on my refresh, let me know! You all have been so incredibly helpful!

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Really nice, Linda! The overall effect is peaceful & serene. Colors flow very well & the art is perfectly sized for space.

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Linda, the artwork is lovely. Looks peaceful. Just what you'd want in the bedroom. The size looks perfect. Enjoy!

• Yayagal
    2 years ago

Done and done. Bravo!!!!

• J D
    2 years ago

Do you need window treatments?

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I really prefer the clean minimalist look of the windows as they are, so no window treatments. We get lots of light and privacy with the frosted windows.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

… didn’t mean to attach the pictures again but the app had other ideas, lol ..

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Beautiful! It came together perfectly.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I still need to find a home for the smaller artwork … I was thinking of this empty corner near the window. But I’m not sure if it’s too near the larger one over the bed. I don’t want to look too matchy-matchy or like I’m starting a beach art gallery :)

What do you think? This works, or keep looking?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I’m not a pro but the smaller one is too similar to the main piece over the bed.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@redryder Sigh … that’s what I thought too. Thanks for confirming.

• J D
    2 years ago

I’d fill that space by moving the plant away from the window and getting a fuller bigger green plant

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Linda - just looked at your before pics again after not viewing them since early days when you first posted, i was struck by what a nice difference your changes have made. I do agree with RedRyder about that smaller art being too similar. Also like J D’s idea of a larger green plant in that spot. Would add to your serene & peaceful ambiance.

• Linda Dornan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for confirming my suspicion. I have gifted that artwork to my son for his place, so now it has a happy home. I’ll look to replace that tree with another that carries more weight to fill the space. I appreciate all the help!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths