Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta J 2021 ...............

Let's see some Js today:

This may be very well the last day I go into work.

Have a great day everyone!

Comments (34)

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Congrats (I think) Paula. Loving the jokes. Thanks (again) for doing this.

Wow Beth, you have a lot of Js. I have to get my Joy Ride in here before the onslaught of them. I like the lighting in this pic.

But this pic shows the Hosta better.

My Jade Cascade is not looking great after two years in my Hosta Hell. Hopefully this year it will be alphabet worthy.

Jane Ward doesn't seem to be a great grower but its still growing. I probably shouldn't have divided it before planting.

Jane's Blush is actually blushing this year.

Jet Black looks like it will be pretty if it ever gets some size to it.

OTOH Jetstream is a terrific grower.

Love the color on June Fever in shade. Bouncing back after root rescue.

Its hard to pick just one June pic (but I managed).

And here's my comparison photo of Justine (left in pot) and Ayesha.

disclaimer - Justine was grown with a different sun exposure which may account for the differences.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

beth ... the yellow on nile is dees golden jewel .. and will need to be separated off ... it was areal PIA to keep my nile clean ... never got huge because i needed to be dug up so often ...

actually its the other way round.. JON was a sport of DGJ ... and momma is dominant in my experience ... go figure ...

ken

https://myhostas.be/db/view/Jewel+of+the+Nile

• Saija_Finland
    2 years ago

Jade Cascade

Jimmy Crack Corn

June

June Fever

Justine

Saija

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

I don’t think Joy Ride has ever been on ky radar before-it definitely is now!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 years ago

I finally have something to post! Gotta take more pictures.

Here is one of several Junes I have.

June Fever, its growing in the shade of a Blue Spruce.

Sherry

2 years ago

steve's jane ward.. looks more like cherry berry than JW ...

did you ever note flower stem color???? ... got a pic maybe???

ken

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    2 years ago

Love the jokes!

JUNE SPIRIT

JUNE FEVER

JOYRIDE

JOURNEYS END

JEWEL OF THE NILE

JETSTREAM

JADE CASCADE

JACK OF DIAMONDS

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 years ago

Paula..enjoy your retirement 🙂..I love it..💕

one J..all of you know what it is..June..I did a mental count..17 in 6 locations..4 spots in front..2 in back..4 pics from 2020..

April 23 in back by the birdbath

April 30 in back by the bench

April 30 in front by the mailbox..a rabbit? nibbled Elegans..this spot needs work..too crowded..

October 30..

Nov 24 summer's over..

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    2 years ago

Jurassic Park

June

June Fever

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago

Paula that was very cryptic. Please let us know if you are actually retiring. If you are that is excellent news!

Great JC, JP, JR, JF and of course all the wonderful June.

Steve good to see the blush on Jane's Blush.

Saija beautiful JCC.

sunnywood I am always so taken with J of D.

Janet Day - Redid parts of the garden behind her.

Jaws

June. Sorry about the fallen leaf debris

• old_dirt 6a
    2 years ago

Surprise!!! I do have a June, actually several of them. I think the most prolific and variable depending on amount of sun of all.

June

Jewel of the Nile

June Spirit

2 years ago

I took a look in the Hosta Library at Cherry Berry. They look the same to me. Don't know why you would question it. Unless the leaf is wider on Jane Ward. I think the leaf was wider before I split it and it dwindled and the extra piece went from the pot into the pot nursery. I did get a pic before I separated it with the flower spike. Pretty sure its Jane Ward.

Also, don't know why my pic of June isn't showing up for me. When I edit the post its there, but not after I save it. 2nd time's the charm (I hope)

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Steve....nice Joy Ride.... First time seeing Jane's Blush. Going to have to look into it!

Sherry....beautiful June! In fact, lots of beautiful Junes posted!

Sunny...great JE

NW....you can never have too many Junes

Nice plants in every post!

Jaws 5-17-21

Jewel of the Nile 6-3-21

Joy Ride 6-8-21

June Spirit 5-28-21

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

And last but not least, some Junes

June #1 6-19-21

June #2 6-11-21

June #3 5-13-21

I have 6 altogether. Really like the different colorations depending on sun conditions. One of the best IMO.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 years ago

I was wrong 😂...18 Junes in 7 locations..forgot this bargain June on clearance..small but cute..

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

Paula, you'll have to let us know.

Why haven't I gotten Joy Ride? It's exactly what I like.

Sherry, your JF is bright for growing in shade. ....someday I hope to participate in the daylily alphabet but, like you with hostas, I need to take more pictures.

June Fever in shade

Journey's End

Jimmy Crack Corn

Jack of Diamonds

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Paul, great jokes again! If you are retiring, that’s great! Maybe you will be able to plant more hostas…….

There are so many great Js. It seems Jewel of the Nile reverts for everybody even though it’s lovely. All of the June’s are beautiful and it’s clear to me that I need to move as they are so dark compared to all of yours. All the June Fevers are stunning as well.

beth and shadow, love Jurassic Park!

steve, love that Jane’s Blush…..may have to get that one.

Sunny, I love Jack of Diamonds!!

Peren, you crack me up! Leaf debris??? Hahaha! That picture is perfect!

mbug, your Joy Ride is so perfectly round and wavy!

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

I have 3 Junes but it is clear to me Mine need more sun….

debra

• Mosswood
    2 years ago

Well, it is good to see that everyone else here picked up a Joyride. It was billed as a replacement for the Neptune I wanted at the time. It has really changed a lot over the years and grows like a weed and fights off the daffodils very nicely.

I also have the most popular hosta in all hosta-history - June. Huh, I see a blue sport in there.

Is Jewel of the Nile just naturally unstable? I see all three specimens are reverting, but it is striking regardless.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

June, June Spirit, June in the sun, Journey’s End

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

June for first two, then Jetstream to right of Hovercraft, and overhead view of Journey’s End

2 years ago

I took a look in the Hosta Library at Cherry Berry. They look the same to me. Don't know why you would question it.

==>> just making conversation ...nbd ....

2 years ago

That's why I like plants. They don't talk back. Was wondering if there was something you saw that differentiates these two besides the color of the scape.

UToG - love that June leaf. Don't know why we need anything else (j/k).

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Sandyslopes, looooooove that JOD!! Just like sunny’s—- beautiful! utog, terrific shot of that June leaf———perfect!!

debra

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Thanks, everyone. June is wonderful.

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    2 years ago

Ken, thank you on the information of Jewel of the Nile. Looks like I have some dividing to do in the spring.

Debra, I love your Junes in shade to me June in sun and June in shade look like to different varieties. I love them both.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    2 years ago

I agree that you have to have more than 1 June hosta in the garden! I have a few also. I have decided that it is best for me not to try to give June the most sun on my property (which might be just a couple of hours). That's because I can't achieve the sun color I want with just two hours of sun. The best looking June on my property has been the ones that get little sun. So it's on the to-do list to move a couple for the next season.

These are my two oldest Junes. Just the front of them actually get a bit of sun. This photo was taken in June.

You can see here the color difference of June. (Photo taken end of August) You can tell which one got a bit more sun.

This June gets the most sun of all my Junes. I just may keep it there for another year.

June Fever. Such a bright thing in the spring.

And then by the end of May it begins to be swallowed up by the big hosta beside it. Well, actually, the big hosta covers a couple other hosta too. Do you see them peaking out from the left of the large hosta? Another project for this spring.

Sunnywood and Sandyslopes---love your Jack of Diamonds! Is it a slow grower?

Everyone's Justine is looking so good. I never noticed it before.

2 years ago

nhl - never knew you lived in a cave. Are you planning on moving just the one big Hosta or all of the little ones? Just curious.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

nhl, your Junes in your first pic are perfection! They like that spot.

My Jack of Diamonds was not the slowest, not the fastest, I'd say moderate but steady growth each year.

2 years ago

"Are you planning on moving just the one big Hosta or all of the little ones?" Steve asked.

I am going to move my small June, the Lakeside Paisley Print and June Fever. The big hosta turns yellow later in the season, but I don't like the color of it with June Fever together in the spring. Not sure where I will move anything yet! I love them big! My Liberty is big and it is close by to this big one. One of my neighbors was walking her dog last summer and said "I've never seen hosta that big." It's nice to hear compliments from the neighbors. BUT walking in my neighborhood last year, I saw BIGGER hosta! Got to go back and find them again. I'll take pictures and post them. And the comment about living in a cave? Not sure what you meant.

Sandyslopes, thanks for explaining the growth pattern of your Jack of Diamonds perfectly!

2 years ago

Just that your property doesn't get much sun so its like living in a cave.

2 years ago

Ahh, yes, like a cave. Well, I'm probably exaggerating. But when we purchased this home almost 40 years ago I loved that it had big windows and all that light coming in! The house has 80% of its windows at the back of the house where my two huge maple trees are. So there's little sun in the house (and backyard) when the trees are leafed out.

• almosthooked zone5
    2 years ago

One of my favorite is June

\