Software
Houzz Logo Print
material_creativity

Cabinet customization question

I have almost picked Shiloh cabinets. I want a section in the cabinets run, similar to the attached picture (without the bifold doors). This would be in walnut and I like Shiloh natural walnut. The only thing is that the cabinet designer said they would not be able to do a door style like the picture, where the handle is a cutout in the top rim. I was hoping that the cutout will help with ventilation so I can store onions/potatoes etc in those bins.


Should I just look at a carpenter to build that section of cabinet for me or would some hack with Shiloh doors make it work? i.e. get the Shiloh inset flat door for the drawer and get a carpenter to cut that crescent shape and finish it? I see that the lip of the door does stick out a little on top of the inside drawer (which is not walnut).


The cabinet person had said the center panel of the doors is usually MDF and the side panels are hardwood. This was for a shaker style, not sure if a flat door is all wood.




Comments (12)

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Slab doors are all painted, veneered, or laminate over MDF, for durability. That is standard. You really need a custom cabinet maker to create what you want. All of the cabinets. Everything. Not a carpenter.

    Potatoes and onions need more ventilation that a hand hold cutout will provide. Also, you touching the cabinets via the hand hold will ruin the finish there. Hand oils ruin cabinet finishes, which is why most manufacturers require decorative hardware pulls be used.

  • 4 years ago

    If this was not a slab door, but a shaker, would the hack work?

  • 4 years ago

    Are you sure that’s a cut-out? It looks like a black finger pull (handle) to me, but the photo is pretty grainy. You can do something like this to give breathing room in a pantry. You don’t need to modify the drawer fronts.

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you and sorry about the grainy photo. How did they do that in your photo? Is it just some deliberate empty space left while installing the drawers?

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    @The Kitchen Place is the resident Shiloh expert, maybe she can help you.

  • 4 years ago

    Just to add, I am inclined towards frameless, but can go inset if this is easier to achieve for inset.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    What about that attracts you to the idea? Because a step in or walk in pantry will give you more and better storage, at less than a third of the cost of the ”larder” fad.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    ^^Agree 100%. The OP photo looks like such an inefficent use of a large area. If it were to be installed in the OP’s kitchen, just as pictured, which is more like idealized or fantasy kitchen cabinetry, I am betting that in a month or so the OP would be frustrated with it.

  • 4 years ago

    I would not have space for a walk-in pantry and DH wants ventilated storage for fruits and some veggies. I had thought that was a simple solution, but looks like it isn’t. Any other easier ideas for such storage? And spending time and money on something very custom and then being frustrated with it later is exactly what I am trying to avoid. Thank you for all the expert help 🙂.

  • 4 years ago

    Yes, you just leave space between the drawers. You also pair drawer box sizes with different size drawer fronts depending on what your storage needs are so the spacing is consistent. And wire baskets are great for vegetable storage.

  • 4 years ago

    What about getting the drawer fronts prepped for glass and then stick some mesh in there?


    (Also, oh the horror. I have some walnut fronted pullouts in a pantry cabinet that do not have handles and we have been using our filthy hands to open them for a few years now! Oh. Wait. The finish still looks fine. :P )

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Unless it's a very simple hack, having a cabinetmaker alter a door is rarely a good idea.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner