Software
Houzz Logo Print
janellos

Big or small tile?

4 years ago

I was set on these larger hexagon tiles for my shower niche, until I saw the smaller ones and now I can't decide! Which looks better in the niche?

I'm also undecided on small (4x8), medium (10x14), or large (12x24) tiles for the tub surround. I welcome opinions!

FYI, I'm tiling the floor with 12 x 24 tiles, probably one of the 3 in the pic, unless I see something I like better, although I'm pretty burned out on tile shopping. :-)


Big or small hex tiles? Small, medium or large wall tiles (the large isn't shown)?



Which floor tile? I'm going to paint the vanity the 2nd or 3rd darkest paint in that strip.

(Please note the 1964 vinyl sheet flooring I found under the 1990 vinyl sheet flooring that I tore up! So trendy!!)




This is the tub area, the recessed niche will be centered on the back wall, construction happening soon....


Thanks everyone!

Comments (7)

  • 4 years ago

    I think it will look good either way. Usually the niche tile is used in another place in the the bathroom as well but it shouldn’t matter much since it seems to match well and bottles cover it up in the end anyway. If you haven’t already… consider making the niche wide so it’ll fit more. Ours turned out a bit too small for all the stuff I’d like to put there. I like the middle and right floor tiles best.

    janellos thanked Chris
  • 4 years ago

    Tell me more about competing undertones. Do you mean they aren't going to work? Is there a combination there that does?

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    In your photo, the 10x14 (not a popular size these days) and the middle 12x24 are both on the "pink" side. Your paint deck shows you want blue/grays; so in that case stay away from those mentioned above.

    janellos thanked Skippack Tile & Stone
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I agree with Skip.

    We just did a master reno and at first tried to coordinate tiles. Got samples home and everything clashed. I am not a decorator, but knew they were off and didn't work.

    We went with a tile that had everything matching.

    We chose square mosaic for the shower floor, but it came in hex.



    We used the same polished for niche. Highlighting a niche is a personal choice.

    Polished on walls, unpolished on floor, unpolished square mosaic for shower floor.

    Done! Easy.

    janellos thanked eld6161
  • 4 years ago

    Thanks for the tip, Chris. The niche has a shelf, so double the space!


    Thanks, Eld6161! Your bathroom looks great.


    Skip, I see what you mean. The wall tiles are from 2 different stores, both labeled white, but clearly not the same color.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    can you put the hex tiles and the floor tiles in some natural light and take a pic?

    do they work together? you never pick whites from two diff brands and expect them to match. they won't. Does the floor tile have a matching hex mosaic in the same style?


    I like the middle large floor tile and the either of the hex. Is it a real marble or a porcelain? they look slightly taupe colored.


    choose a standard 4x12 white subway tile for your tub surround. that's the same size I used in my shower.


    your 4x10 size will look like this.


    But I really like this one w/your tile choice. I hate 12x24 tiles! especially in a bathtub surround. unless you're after ultra modern.

    this 5x5 Cloe tile is perfect.


    a bit more contemporary. those are prob 3x12 tiles. the niche is a glass mosaic tile.


    Or, why not pick a hex tile in the same shade/make as that floor tile? You have a lot of very white and muted tones and are doing a bold blue vanity.

    did you know they make a blue marble look large tile?


    You could do that on the floor, your white subway tile in tub surround (do the 4x12 size or even the cloe tile or something similar to it,) and bring in a blue penny or hex for your niche.


    here's the blue hex w/a vertical stack offset in the subway tile


    another option is a herringbone layout. you could do the back wall only, and a stcked layout on the other walls.


    janellos thanked Beth H. :
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County