Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueeyes15

kitchen window valance or what?

blueeyes15
2 years ago

I need help with what to do above kitchen window. Didn’t realize there would be this much empty space. We had cabinets taken all the way to the 9ft ceiling and the window was not the correct size as the plans suggested. Didn’t realize it would look like this. Our cabinet builder said he could make just a simple shake style valance. Our contractor says they are out of style now. There is about 23” from the ceiling to the top of the trim. It’s to late to put a new window in. Any suggestions?

Comments (24)

• Artis Flannery
    2 years ago

You could do a super cute awning style valance. Will there be a pendant light?

• blueeyes15
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No. There is a puck light. Do you have a picture of one?

• Kendrah
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I'd have installed a beefy globe pendent light that hits right where the upper window frame is. This will help visually connect the lower kitchen space with the higher ceiling area. An arm wall light is an option too but those look better in groups in my opinion.

Here are some examples of globes taking up a lot of kitchen volume.

I agree with your contractor. No valence.

Cornwall Farmhouse · More Info

Cape Porpoise Residence · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

there are many ways to tackle this but a wood valance is NOT one of them. I also think carrying over the crown molding against the ceiling would make it look more proportional. I'd tile it and add the crown.

( you really should wait until everything else is in before finalizing. I'll show you a bunch of options)

similar to yours w/a beefier trim molding and nothing above.

what about this look? Yours is exactly like this. don't you think tiling above would look more cohesive?

personally I'd do tile, crown and a sconce or pendant.

sconce

and a window treatment would look nice.

or, the sconce and tile all the way to ceiling.

Or, just do the tile. it would look like this. (you could opt for a pendant light here to eat up that tall space visually) Don't forget to do the same crown as your cabinets.

or, a pendant, tile and a treatment like this

you could also do some beefier trim/crown molding, and a semi flush mount light. woven wood window shade and the tile

Here are two shots of what a custom valance (fabric) would look like

• houssaon
    2 years ago

I like the idea of mounting a roman shade or valance above the window. Just cover the top of the window, which will also make the window look larger. Also, good suggestion about continuing the molding trim from the cabinets across the wall space.

• Caroline Hamilton
    2 years ago

Agree with the last poster. I would do a window treatment so the window looks taller. That is a shame that they installed the wrong window. l would also install a pendant and install crown. Consider taking the backsplash up to the ceiling like in Beth’s examples.

• M Miller
    2 years ago

Absolutely no to the valence. A pendant light would fill that space nicely. it also looks like you do not have any lighting over the sink, so you’d be solving that problem too.

• Artis Flannery
    2 years ago

I didn't say use a wood valance, Beth.

• PRO
    Top Drawer Carpentry LLC
    2 years ago

Could use a flyover panel with a pendant

Willow Street Kitchen · More Info

light but you would have to redo the crown. If not, change the window. It would be worth it.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I had my kitchen renovated a few years ago and chose a wooden valence over my kitchen window. I chose not to have a curtain there, to allow for more natural light to come in. A roman shade could be a great option for your simple kitchen window.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Tile doesn’t make sense up above that window. You’d have odd little slivers of tile between the window trim and the cabinets, and there is no reason for tile above the window. Continue the moulding across the wall.

What color are the walls elsewhere in the kitchen? You might paint it the same, then have a fabric treatment.. Unless … where is the puck light? Is it too close to the window, and a fabric treatment will interfere with the light?

• blueeyes15
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The walls are edgecomb gray and the cabinets are dove white. I like the idea of a Roman shade and continuing across the back with the crown molding. instead of the wooden valance. I think the puck light is far enough out from the wall that it wouldn’t interfere with the fabric treatment.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

the window was not the correct size as the plans suggested.

Did they install a smaller window than what was specified in the plan?

If so, then it is not 'too late' for the window to be replaced with what was specified.

It will be costly but so be it. Your contractor needs to pay tuition for his/ her continuing education class.

• chispa
    2 years ago

Agree, if the plans had a larger window then the contractor (or window supplier) made the mistake, if he was the one ordering the windows. Never too late to change, it just involves time and money. You'll be affected by the time component, but your builder and/or window supplier should cover the cost to replace.

• Susie Q
    2 years ago

Agree with Beth to tile and add crown. I think tiling up to the crown would be beautiful!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Artis,,,,, I wasn't talking about you. did you read the comment of the post? she said "Our cabinet builder said he could make just a simple shake style valance."

I never even read your comment.

• oreolucca1
    2 years ago

I would need up with a simple molding and a light.

• oreolucca1
    2 years ago

Beef up the moulding

• jck910
    2 years ago

I would not add molding or tile up above the window. It will be too much. I did a roman shade hung above the window and a pendant light

• KT_B
    2 years ago

I'm putting a shelf above our kitchen sink window for decorative stuff kind of like this but ours is narrower

• aklogcabin
    2 years ago

I believe a stained glass window would look nice. Could have one custom made to remind you of a special time or moment, family. Doesn't have to go all the way through either, as led lights could be used behind it.

A shelf unit that is made up of eclectic size boxes that could hold antiques or family heirlooms. Just thinking that with the white kitchen, contrast can be obtained several ways. Color, glass or antique heirlooms. Different lines, all lines here are vertical and horizontal lines of the same dimensions. Break it up a bit with eclectic shapes.

And having family and things around in the kitchen that remind us of family is inviting, a kitchen should be inviting. To me I see white and all the same lines. And this would be a good area to introduce your contrast without taking up valuable kitchen space.

You have a nice home

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

What is needed is a taller, slightly skinnier window. There should be some breathing space between the window, window trim and the cabinets.

This is new construction; the window is obviously too short for 9' walls. It looks like a mistake on the inside and probably looks like a mistake on the outside, too.

I would not accept it even if I was out of pocket now to fix it. But it sounds like possibly this is not the correct window--the one that was specified in the plans. In that case, the cost to replace should be the contractor's.

• anneemae
    2 years ago

My solution to the same problem (full photo isn't showing until you click on below). I don't have drapes or Roman shades or any fabric around/above any of the other windows in my house, so while I considered a Roman shade, it woulldn't have fit in with the decor of the rest of my house.